Dyche still after Stephens

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Unless he ends up at Palace if we have been promoted....what a comedown that would be for the lad!

I don't think he will leave you if you go up .

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Crystal Palace will fight Burnley for the £6 million signature of Brighton play-maker Dale Stephens in the New Year transfer market.

Eagles supremo Steve Parrish is ready to finance a move for Stephens who is looking to move to the Premier League as soon as possible.

Burnley are already trying to buy Stephens after missing out on him at the start of the season, but now Palace have been alerted to that move and are in strongly.

Stephens has just signed up with a new agent who has big Palace links and a move to Selhurst Park is on in January.

The midfielder will have a major say in where he goes and is looking for a pay day. Burnley may find that Palace’s superior financial muscle will be too great for them.

???
nearly 4k posts on a rival fan board.....you sad , sad individual.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Add Stoke to the list of no-mark Premier League clubs who won't be signing Dale Stephens in January..

Stoke City have joined the race to sign Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Dale Stephens, according to the Sun.

Burnley failed in an attempt to land Stephens during the summer transfer window, and Crystal Palace will reportedly fight the pair for his signature in January.

Link: http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/11/0...in-dale-stephens-race-but-crystal-palace-cou/

ok then....a three way bidding war awaits.....shouldn't be any problem naming our terms , i.e. 12 million full payment and they can have him at the end of the season.....if he still wants to go .

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Win win for the player then .
'
Is it? He say's he wants Premier league football so which club does he sign for Burnley or Palace both considered now by the bookies as amongst the relegation favourite's and maybe get 3-4 months Prem football. Or does he stay at Brighton who are currently 4/11 to go up and sign a new contract. Any of the three clubs could be in the Championship next season and would Palace or Burnley then still be keen to sign him? If it is money he is really after, like so many players these days, then becoming a free agent in the summer could be his answer. Little help to Burnley or Palace who are obviously looking at him as a player to increase their chances of staying up .

Personally if there is a bidding war that nets the Albion around 8-10 million, I would let him go in January. With Kayal due back, Sidwell playing out of his skin at the moment, Norwood getting better every game, plus Towell back in contention. It would be a no brainer for me, let him go in January and put the money towards a top class striker.

Last edited:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
'
Is it? He say's he wants Premier league football so which club does he sign for Burnley or Palace both considered now by the bookies as amongst the relegation favourite's and maybe get 3-4 months Prem football. Or does he stay at Brighton who are currently 4/11 to go up and sign a new contract. Any of the three clubs could be in the Championship next season and would Palace or Burnley then still be keen to sign him? If it is money he is really after, like so many players these days, then becoming a free agent in the summer could be his answer. Little help to Burnley or Palace who are obviously looking at him as a player to increase their chances of staying up .

Personally if their is a bidding war that nets the Albion around 8-10 million, I would let him go in January. With Kayal due back, Sidwell playing out of his skin at the moment, Norwood getting better every game, plus Towell back in contention. It would be a no brainer for me, let him go in January and put the money towards a top class striker.
Really?

I wouldn't have much confidence going into the 2nd part of the season with just Kayal,Sidwell,Norwood and Towell. If Stephens goes he must be replaced and he must be of real quality the new player.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Really?

I wouldn't have much confidence going into the 2nd part of the season with just Kayal,Sidwell,Norwood and Towell. If Stephens goes he must be replaced and he must be of real quality the new player.

Obviously you are welcome to your opinion, but with those four I really don't think we would miss him and the rare as rocking horse shit 20 goal a season striker could be found and the money used to secure him, would make us a far better promotion prospect in my view.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
If Stephens goes in January, which i doubt very much, it will only be because we have a replacement for him lined up.

No way would we go with the other 3 and Towell/Ince as 4th choice

We have the money for a striker, its a totally seperate issue.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Obviously you are welcome to your opinion, but with those four I really don't think we would miss him and the rare as rocking horse shit 20 goal a season striker could be found and the money used to secure him, would make us a far better promotion prospect in my view.

Stephens is our physical presence in midfield. He is also our best player in there.No point having a 20 goal striker if you can't win the battles in midfield. If he goes he needs replacing.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really?

Spot on. If we keep hold of Stephens, we go up IMO. That 20 goal striker isn't anything like as important as we are seeing. It's not like any of our first three choice strikers are shite, despite what the goal tally might say.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Spot on. If we keep hold of Stephens, we go up IMO. That 20 goal striker isn't anything like as important as we are seeing. It's not like any of our first three choice strikers are shite, despite what the goal tally might say.

Also the problem with a striker is they tend to be Billy Bigbollocks and will want to play and then that might upset the team spirit. The only way I see around this is if we sign a foreign player who can take the rest of the season to settle into the pace of the game on the bench and make an impact. Then hopefully be a star next season in the Premier League.
I agree keeping Stephens is a priority but if we didn't sell in the summer why sell in January, especially if we are in the automatic places?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Firstly I did say if there was a price war and 8-10 mill was offered I would take it.
Are you all saying seriously that Stephens is vital to our promotion and without him we won't go up?
If so lets hope he does not get another serious injury then.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree keeping Stephens is a priority but if we didn't sell in the summer why sell in January, especially if we are in the automatic places?
Exactly. Only silly money can do that, and I think that means we'll over £15m. We won't be offered that so he'll be staying. That's my guess.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Exactly. Only silly money can do that, and I think that means we'll over £15m. We won't be offered that so he'll be staying. That's my guess.

Your problem and mine is we don't know what Tony Bloom considers "silly money " for a player he paid 350k for and if Hughton feels with the silly money figure that Bloom is prepared to accept, feels he can strengthen the squad further by letting Stephens go, could have a bearing on the decision..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
'
Personally if there is a bidding war that nets the Albion around 8-10 million, I would let him go in January. With Kayal due back, Sidwell playing out of his skin at the moment, Norwood getting better every game, plus Towell back in contention. It would be a no brainer for me, let him go in January and put the money towards a top class striker.

Absolute crazy talk!

When will people learn, you cannot sell your best players and expect to get promoted. What happens if Sidwell and Kayal are out at the same time? Norwood is ok but nowhere near as good as the others, and Towell is still untested and has been injured for a third of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your problem and mine is we don't know what Tony Bloom considers "silly money " for a player he paid 350k for and if Hughton feels with the silly money figure that Bloom is prepared to accept, feels he can strengthen the squad further by letting Stephens go, could have a bearing on the decision..

Point taken, but you can make an educated guess. Here is what we know:

1) we rejected £8m for him in the summer
2) we are now in an even better position than we were in the summer. We are a best priced 4/7 to go up, which means the bookies think we are far more likely to be in the Prem next season than not.

Then we have these things to consider:
3) We haven't lost all season with Stephens in the side
4) We are scoring plenty and conceding nowt. Nothing needs fixing

I actually think he's worth nearer £20m to us (how much is Prem football worth?), but I suspect something below that would test Bloom's resolve. If we do go up, we need to pay this man his money and keep him. He's a proper Premier league player.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

2) we are now in an even better position than we were in the summer.

His worth to us has increased because of our league position, and at the very same time, his perceived value to potential buyers (i.e. what they'd HOPE to get him for) has gone DOWN, as he is that much closer to the end of his contract. Thus the disparity between these two figures has grown still wider, and with it the chances of an offer coming in that would be entertained, are all but zero.

IMO like.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

2) we are now in an even better position than we were in the summer. We are a best priced 4/7 to go up, which means the bookies think we are far more likely to be in the Prem next season than not.

Then we have these things to consider:
3) We haven't lost all season with Stephens in the side
4) We are scoring plenty and conceding nowt. Nothing needs fixing

I actually think he's worth nearer £20m to us (how much is Prem football worth?), but I suspect something below that would test Bloom's resolve. If we do go up, we need to pay this man his money and keep him. He's a proper Premier league player.

Did we actually reject '£8m in the summer' I thought that it was £8m spread over a couple of years, which is not the same as straight rejecting a bid.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
His worth to us has increased because of our league position, and at the very same time, his perceived value to potential buyers (i.e. what they'd HOPE to get him for) has gone DOWN, as he is that much closer to the end of his contract. Thus the disparity between these two figures has grown still wider, and with it the chances of an offer coming in that would be entertained, are all but zero.

IMO like.

That is exactly it.

Of course there's a price, but if we're still top 2 and barrelling along, it would have to be well in excess of £10m, surely, and who's going to pay that for a Championship midfielder with a few months left on his contract?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports