Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk’s return:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
If by great effect you mean retaining possession with sideways and backwards passing, then I agree, but if you want dynamic, fast paced offensive and defensive play with regular drives into the opposition last third, taking players on, one-twos whilst in attacking transition.... then I am afraid Solly will often be found wanting.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What a crappy post.

March did a great job at LWB last season. He was an absolute revelation, and widely acknowledged to be in the running for POTY, before his injury. No, he's not AS GOOD in the role as the fantastic Marc Cucurella - though given he'd never played it before, that's hardly surprising.

Your question was 'who is going to step into his role, if Cucurella gets injured'? The answer to that question (if the 'role' is LWB, at least) is Solly March, and as a second option, we're very lucky to have him.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
What a crappy post.

March did a great job at LWB last season. He was an absolute revelation, and widely acknowledged to be in the running for POTY, before his injury. No, he's not AS GOOD in the role as the fantastic Marc Cucurella - though given he'd never played it before, that's hardly surprising.

Your question was 'who is going to step into his role, if Cucurella gets injured'? The answer to that question (if the 'role' is LWB, at least) is Solly March, and as a second option, we're very lucky to have him.

Spot on, Criminally under rated by a section of Albion fans for some reason.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
What a crappy post.

Therefore, as acknowledged by you here, we should worry about MC being out, our intensity and accuracy levels are absolutely going to suffer if SM is his replacement... that's my point... our overall game level at the moment is wholly dependent on the Lamptey or Cucurela effective influence from the flanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think when the time is right he comes in for Veltman.

As good as Joel has been, Dunk is an upgrade and will also add an attacking threat at set pieces.

Also means Veltman can be free to cover Tariq.

no way is Dunk an upgrade on Veltman. They’re both quality, dependable and consistent players but have different defensive skill sets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Therefore, as acknowledged by you here, we should worry about MC being out, our intensity and accuracy levels are absolutely going to suffer if SM is his replacement... that's my point... our overall game level at the moment is wholly dependent on the Lamptey or Cucurela effective influence from the flanks.

1) March is a more than adequate back-up for Cucurela. Maybe he isn’t as good, but this is always going to be the case if you have such talent as the first choice. Same for the vast majority of clubs.
2) We are not wholly dependent on Lamptey or Cucurela. Utter nonsense.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a crappy post.

Word.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
no way is Dunk an upgrade on Veltman. They’re both quality, dependable and consistent players but have different defensive skill sets.

He is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Veltman is in a decent run of form in the last 4/6 games.

However this season in general he has been average and in some games dreadful compared to last season.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He is a MASSIVE upgrade.

However this season in general he has been average and in some games dreadful compared to last season.

Only game I can recall him being anything remotely like ‘dreadful’ is v Everton (where he came on as sub and never got to grips with a game we already looked second best in). We’ve got the 6th best defensive record in the league and he’s played in most of our games. He hasn’t been ‘average’ in my book, he’s gone from ‘very solid’ overall to ‘outstanding’ in the last few games when we’ve really needed him.

I love Dunky but he’s got to win the shirt back - it’ll happen soon enough anyway with an injury or suspension. He’ll know that as well as anyone.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Only game I can recall him being anything remotely like ‘dreadful’ is v Everton (where he came on as sub and never got to grips with a game we already looked second best in). We’ve got the 6th best defensive record in the league and he’s played in most of our games. He hasn’t been ‘average’ in my book, he’s gone from ‘very solid’ overall to ‘outstanding’ in the last few games when we’ve really needed him.

I love Dunky but he’s got to win the shirt back - it’ll happen soon enough anyway with an injury or suspension. He’ll know that as well as anyone.

Newcastle was another, only need to look at some of the player ratings threads to see how he performed earlier this season.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I rate Veltman and I’m only judging him against last season when he was great.

He just started this season poorly, mainly with his passing and some unnecessary tackles. He has however returned to last seasons form since Dunk’s injury.

I wasn’t saying Dunk should come straight back in, more a case of I believe he is a class above Veltman and hence why it’s his place he would take.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Newcastle was another, only need to look at some of the player ratings threads to see how he performed earlier this season.

I mean don’t get me wrong, I rate Veltman and I’m only judging him against last season when he was great.

He just started this season poorly, mainly with his passing and some unnecessary tackles. He has however returned to last seasons form since Dunk’s injury.

I wasn’t saying Dunk should come straight back in, more a case of I believe he is a class above Veltman and hence why it’s his place he would take.

Ratings threads on here are notoriously biased depending on the poster………….FWIW the (independent) whoscored.com scored Veltman higher than Dunk for the Newcastle game and interestingly overall there is little difference between them in their season averages.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Ratings threads on here are notoriously biased depending on the poster………….FWIW the (independent) whoscored.com scored Veltman higher than Dunk for the Newcastle game and interestingly overall there is little difference between them in their season averages.

That’s the brilliant thing about football isn’t it ? Massive differences in opinions !

Personally think he didn’t start the season as well as he played last season …. And that in my opinion Dunk is a better player. I certainly wasn’t saying he wasn’t a very good player.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
FWIW, I think Dunk will come more or less straight back in, but it's worth noting that previously Webster hasn't walked back off the treatment table and into the first team. It may well be a bench appearance first. What's genuinely wonderful about his is that we're in the fine position of not needing to rush Dunk back. When fully fit, he's a no brainer but we don't need to risk him until he's approaching that level.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If by great effect you mean retaining possession with sideways and backwards passing, then I agree, but if you want dynamic, fast paced offensive and defensive play with regular drives into the opposition last third, taking players on, one-twos whilst in attacking transition.... then I am afraid Solly will often be found wanting.

Haters gonna hate.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He is a MASSIVE upgrade.

Crikey. It really is a game of options. I’ll just say I disagree and leave it there.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think Veltman and Dunk are very comparable.

Not much between them quality wise, Dunk has more physical presence, but Veltman has a smarter brain, both play different roles and slightly different positions.

FOr Dunk to return to the centre of defence means resting Burn or Webster in a back 4, not sure he displaces either at the moment.
Aback three is a different thing, have all three with DUnk in the centre

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What a crappy post.

Great post, spot on.

March was brilliant before his injury last season, possibly the best LWB in the league then so there would be no concerns about him coming in for MC if necessary. But then Solly has always been hugely under rated by a surprisingly large amount of Brighton fans.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here