Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk’s return:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Veltman is dropped and Dunk plays Centre of a 3 of Webster Dunk Burn. Amazing position to be in, not shitting our pants on Dunks return.

Seriously diminishes Tariq if you take Veltman away behind him. Webster is a superb CB but couldn't play that role nearly so well

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Dan Burn has been really excellent, but that statement’s simply untrue. Dunk is better in the air, calmer, and a far better passer of the ball.

That’s not in the slightest any criticism of Burn, who is playing better than I ever though he could - Lewis Dunk is just a different level.

As others have said though, fantastic that the form of others means there is no need at all to rush him back. Great situation to be in.

The “passer of the ball” is what immediately sprang to my mind. 40 yard cross field/up field passes to somebody’s feet….

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Although Burn and Webster were very good I'm not sure they are consistently good enough whereas Dunk is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Although Burn and Webster were very good I'm not sure they are consistently good enough whereas Dunk is.

I will leave the Burn debate to others but, apart from when he comes back from injury and takes a games or two to truly find his feet, Webster is consistently good enough.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He'll be bench for a couple of games, test the water, but as said before, some rest for the existing pair may be the order if the day.

My worry is Cucurela, who steps into his role if/when he gets tired, injured or suspended?.... this is the worry for me, BDB isn't a touch on him in the LWB role.... MC is currently our main engine.... he provides constant out options.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He'll be bench for a couple of games, test the water, but as said before, some rest for the existing pair may be the order if the day.

My worry is Cucurela, who steps into his role if/when he gets tired, injured or suspended?.... this is the worry for me, BDB isn't a touch on him in the LWB role.... MC is currently our main engine.... he provides constant out options.

Solly March does, as he did to great effect last season.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have not read all of thread. Only reason to leave Dunk out on Saturday will be fitness. It will be horses for courses. Burn has been weak when defending out wide but now playing in a pure CB role has been very good and last night in a man to man role was outstanding as he was in away game against Chelsea. Completely different against Leicester whose attacking game is based on speed and fast breaks.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Solly March does, as he did to great effect last season.
If by great effect you mean retaining possession with sideways and backwards passing, then I agree, but if you want dynamic, fast paced offensive and defensive play with regular drives into the opposition last third, taking players on, one-twos whilst in attacking transition.... then I am afraid Solly will often be found wanting.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
No point rushing Lewis back is the great thing.

But he comes in for Burn. And yes, Burn has been spectacular, but to suggest Dunk does not come back into the side lets say after the international break is for me silly.

Hes our best player, therefore when 100% fit he plays.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a time to be a Brighton fan eh?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I maybe wrong (the statistics will probably make me look silly) but Webster and Burn seem to advance the ball out of defence faster and more often than Dunk.
Defensively Dunk is rock solid and takes less risks and is more patient before passing forward when in possession, but we seem to be far more conservative in our approach than with Dunk marshalling the defence.

I'll be more than happy to see Burn and Webster continue setting the pace and driving this team forward.
If there is to be a space for Dunk it could come in place of Veltman, but in fairness that would be harsh on our Dutch demon, I can't remember him putting a foot wrong in ages.

Lamptey - Veltman - Webster - Burn - Cucurella

An absolute dream foundation to base a team!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I maybe wrong (the statistics will probably make me look silly) but Webster and Burn seem to advance the ball out of defence faster and more often than Dunk.
Defensively Dunk is rock solid and takes less risks and is more patient before passing forward when in possession, but we seem to be far more conservative in our approach than with Dunk marshalling the defence.

I'll be more than happy to see Burn and Webster continue setting the pace and driving this team forward.
If there is to be a space for Dunk it could come in place of Veltman, but in fairness that would be harsh on our Dutch demon, I can't remember him putting a foot wrong in ages.

This issue of speed of advance is definitely a 'thing' .... and it has been noticable that our midfielders have more options and space when Dunk hasn't been playing.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis

TEMPO!!!

That's the word I should have used.
The difference in tempo pinpoints the difference between the Burn/Webster/Veltman and a defence that includes Dunk.

What an incredible situation to be in when one of our best ever players selection is not a given.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think when the time is right he comes in for Veltman.

As good as Joel has been, Dunk is an upgrade and will also add an attacking threat at set pieces.

Also means Veltman can be free to cover Tariq.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Dunk is a Brighton legend.

But isn’t it amazing that he needs to work his ****ing ass off to get back in the team. What an amazing group of players we have? Burn has done so much to show Potter he should keep the shirt.

I’d not let Dunk have a sniff until he proves he back to 100% fitness (not even 99% fitness) and is smashing it in training.

I'd agree with this. If Dunk is not 100% we do not need to rush him back.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Burn isn’t afraid to actually play progressive accurate chip passes forward and quickly.

A couple to Cucurella were outstanding last night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here