Dunk to join Fulham this week?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And the same would be true over Williamson if no one had seen him play.

It's obviously a bit uninspiring, but if Dunk goes (to whomever) we need more cover for Uwe and Greer, and I imagine he's a reasonable option. I imagine wages would be a problem though.

F*** me, are you suggesting that we get Williamson in for Dunk AND we pay him?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wes Brown with 7 league titles , 2 FA Cups , 3 league cups , 4 Charity shields , 2 champions leagues , PFA team of the year (voted by players) + 23 England caps.

Yes sounds awful , would never cut it at Rotherham on a wet Tuesday
All thanks to his teammates.

Young Wes is shitehouse, and i should know I've seen enough shitehouse professional footballers in my time. :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
F*** me, are you suggesting that we get Williamson in for Dunk AND we pay him?
I'm not suggesting we get him in, I'm just considering what might happen, while at the same time hoping we can't afford him.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm not suggesting we get him in, I'm just considering what might happen, while at the same time hoping we can't afford him.
Probably we can - if we pay him a quarter of what he gets at Newcastle, and Newcastle pay up half his contract as compensation, then this year he'll get [edit: my maths were letting me down!] - nearly as much as he's on at the moment; next season he'll get less, but there again, if he sits out his contract at Newcastle and doesn't play, there's a chance he won't get anything at all next season.

I'd still rather keep Dunk, but that might not be an option for us.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So why can't we sell Dunk to Newcastle but not take this Williamson if he's that bad ? ???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We can - but then we would be without a back up/replacement, and would have to pay more to get one elsewhere. Like I say, not ideal, but maybe the best of a bad job.
But if Williamsom is so utterly terrible, it is better to spend the money elsewhere or get a different player in on loan ? ???

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Serious question, do you really think Dunk would want to move to Newcastle? He's already said its not just about the money for him and he loves Brighton. To be honest, you could quadruple my money and I still wouldn't want to move to Newcastle. IF he leaves, I'd be surprised if it's much further north than London.
And as for Williamson, got to presume that's a poor joke.

No. 25

Aug 25, 2012
Was Williamson not a regular for Newcastle when they were hovering around 7th in the Premier League a couple of seasons ago?

Yeah, definitely not good enough for us then....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But if Williamsom is so utterly terrible, it is better to spend the money elsewhere or get a different player in on loan ? ???
Because if we don't take Williamson, and sell Dunk before getting a replacement in, we'll be left with two senior CBs.
If we try to buy then we will be vulnerable to being held to ransom, the scenario will go something like this:
1).You want to buy one of our CBs for £X?
2).You've just taken a huge sum off Newcastle, so double your offer.
3).Actually, we're not that keen to sell, so stick another £half million on your offer.
4).It's the 27th. August and Greer's just turned his ankle, so now you're desperate - add another million.

Williamson may not be everybody's first choice, but signing him would be insurance, and relatively cheap, as Newcastle want rid. Besides, he HAS played a lot of matches in the PL, so can't be THAT bad - at least he's better than Wes Brown (maybe)!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think there might be some tax advantages to doing a part exchange as opposed to a standard purchase.
Doubt that this would have any bearing. You tend to not pay much tax when your losses are at 10m a year.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Serious question, do you really think Dunk would want to move to Newcastle? He's already said its not just about the money for him and he loves Brighton. To be honest, you could quadruple my money and I still wouldn't want to move to Newcastle. IF he leaves, I'd be surprised if it's much further north than London.
And as for Williamson, got to presume that's a poor joke.
Apart from the fact that Newcastle is a really good town, I'm sure that getting paid 20-30k a week and playing Premier League football in front of 50 000 home fans would be attractive to any player from any part of England.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Apart from the fact that Newcastle is a really good town, I'm sure that getting paid 20-30k a week and playing Premier League football in front of 50 000 home fans would be attractive to any player from any part of England.

And he English...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Dunk has completed 4 seasons in the Championship, therefore this is not a Grant Hall situation - Dunk has served his apprenticeship.

Newcastle are the biggest club in the UK who would even consider Dunk. Therefore, you either do one of two things:

a) Join them.
b) Stick with us but only if you believe the Albion are likely to get promoted in the foreseeable future.

The bookies have us tenth in the betting for promotion so we have a chance. Personally I think some of the sides above us in the betting look iffy - QPR, Sheff Wed, Brentford - and we look a more experienced, battle-hardened outfit now. Therefore, I can see why Dunk might stay, as the ideal for him is probably Prem football with the Albion, rather than somewhere else.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Dunk has completed 4 seasons in the Championship, therefore this is not a Grant Hall situation - Dunk has served his apprenticeship.

Newcastle are the biggest club in the UK who would even consider Dunk. Therefore, you either do one of two things:

a) Join them.
b) Stick with us but only if you believe the Albion are likely to get promoted in the foreseeable future.

The bookies have us tenth in the betting for promotion so we have a chance. Personally I think some of the sides above us in the betting look iffy - QPR, Sheff Wed, Brentford - and we look a more experienced, battle-hardened outfit now. Therefore, I can see why Dunk might stay, as the ideal for him is probably Prem football with the Albion, rather than somewhere else.

All very sensible but completely ignores wages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports