Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dunk to Chelsea?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I always draw people’s attention to pure athletic results when this argument arises about comparing athletes from different eras.
Jesse Owens would not get out of a heat at a major championships nowadays. He would be trounced by Christian Coleman. This we know because of recordable timings then and now.
You can be the best in your era and no more.
Same applies to football.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Imagine Sadio Mane, Mo Salah and Roberto Firmino against 80s defending with 80s refereeing / rule interpretations. They would all be on the receiving end of early 'reducers' which would slow them down and make them less keen to get the ball. When you look back at some of the assaults that passed as tackles it's amazing that any skilful players thrived at all

yep, george best was shitehouse

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
No, but you can bring in an Umbrella, a transistor radio, a ham,cheese and pickle doorstop sandwich, a texan bar or curly wurly, a papercosh (Millwall Brick, a shuriken, stanley blades....

Oh don't forget to take your steel toe cap boots off and leave them with the Constable at the turnstyle......

and all inside a wooden hop-up for the nipper

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I always draw people’s attention to pure athletic results when this argument arises about comparing athletes from different eras.
Jesse Owens would not get out of a heat at a major championships nowadays. He would be trounced by Christian Coleman. This we know because of recordable timings then and now.
You can be the best in your era and no more.
Same applies to football.

I doubt ther is a side in the World even now that Pele, Johan Cruyff nor Diego Maradona wouldn't walk into when they were at their peak

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I had to google him - He doesn't seem to have hit the dizzy heights of football stardom but I will take your word for it

You had to google Malcolm poskett? Blimey

I am old!

Poskett hat trick at Charlton was one of the best albion away games in our history!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Luckily I have the support of my family. But next time, be more considerate especially when you know how this effects the likes of me.

Well of course I will - if and when I'm replying to, or commenting on, something you've posted.

In the meantime, perhaps I should contact #Mellotron and check if he wants people to be offended on his behalf?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Well of course I will - if and when I'm replying to, or commenting on, something you've posted.

In the meantime, perhaps I should contact #Mellotron and check if he wants people to be offended on his behalf?

Good idea. You're clearly a good man when push comes to nudge. Just make it clear to him that you were going through a hard time when you started using BG's NSC use to slag him off.
Don't forget BG too. You unconsciously felt the need to dig at him when there was no need. Has he even posted on this thread? We all know you're better than that. This isn't the real you.

Next time, If you need someone to talk to during those spontaneous tough times, you know I'm always here for you (vice versa I hope)

PS let them both know how I influenced this.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
You had to Google Malcolm Poskett...?

Shame on you :wink:

I remember being in awe of his magnificent moustache when i met him as a 6 or 7 year old.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Wardy only had the one full season in the top flight and scored 16 times in the league. I’m not sure of his cup goals.

That’s still a record isn’t it ?
Yes a fantastic record. Why this is overlooked by some who should know better is beyond me. 25 goals in the 2nd Division was no guarantee of 25 in the first. He was class.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here