Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I agree with this also. The replays on my large TV were from too great a distance and blurry. Taylor had the same distant shot to review on a small monitor.

Hinshelwood may well have fouled him, but it's not clear he did. It's equally possible that the striker wrapped his arm around Hinshelwood and took an opportunistic tumble in the way penalty-seekers do.

So, with it not being definitive, I'm not sure how the penalty could be given retrospectively.
It did seem a little odd. I must say. There was part of me that wondered if there was an even up thing going on. It could be argued Pedros wasn't clear and obvious as he is inclined to wrap like a python on defenders.

The Dunk sending off is something I'm bewildered at the sackcloth and ash response to. Use foul and abusive language to a ref and see red. That's it.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The only strange bit, for me, is the straight red and not a second yellow. It can't be the case that on Saturday Lewis Dunk abused a referee worse than anyone else has in the last 12 or 15 years, depending which stat is correct.
I'm pretty sure he meant to give a yellow then a red, but forgot the yellow bit in the heat of the moment and now they're just saying that was always what he meant to do, to save some embarrassment.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Interesting how some of our fans are choosing to put the worst interpretation of this incident onto Dunk and giving Taylor a free pass.

I'm annoyed with Dunk and I'm sure he's equally annoyed with himself.

But red-mist isn't really something you see from him.
Looking back at the incident leading up to the red - I wouldn't describe his actions in that way either.

he got progressively worse after the red.
My guess is because he felt the red was a complete over-reaction.

We now know that it is a very rarely used sanction for what (reportedly) is a very low level abuse.
In fact my daughter addressed a Birthday card with that exact phrase. :ROFLMAO:

Taylor escalated a situation, he is trained to deal with.
He should have done better too.
Giving him a free pass won't improve the standard of refereeing, which is currently at a very low ebb.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It did seem a little odd. I must say. There was part of me that wondered if there was an even up thing going on. It could be argued Pedros wasn't clear and obvious as he is inclined to wrap like a python on defenders.

The Dunk sending off is something I'm bewildered at the sackcloth and ash response to. Use foul and abusive language to a ref and see red. That's it.

If it was - then there wouldn't be any debate.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The penalty seemed ridiculously soft, not sure how VAR saw an obvious error. As club Captain, Dunk rightly questioned the penalty and was issued a yellow card. Both of these decisions on reflection seem harsh. The red card is more understandable, if Dunk has verbally abused the ref, but it all stems from yet another poor VAR intervention. Then Cooper had the cheek to complain about the decisions. Thankfully we held on for a famous victory.
Ridiculous penalty and Taylor didn’t have the conviction to stick to his on field decision.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
What would be unnecessary would be losing the site for everyone due to a libel action. However, you won’t see his libellous post because I deleted it!
Is it not OK to at least question what we are seeing? Its not as if its a direct accusation of corruption, but suggesting it as one of several possibilities in the abstract shouldn't be libellous? Its not as if referee corruption is some hypothetical, there have been numerous cases around the world. There was the Calciopoli scandal in Italy during 2004-06 which led to Juventus being stripped of their league title and relegated; there was the German match-fixing scandal at the same time which led to several referees being banned for life, there have been World Cup referees banned for match-fixing and Barcelona have recently been charged with bribing the head of the Spanish referees association.

Whether or not any of us believe this is actually happening in the Premier League, nor know what form this might take, it would be naive to dismiss it out of hand.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Never really got all that chanting.

As professional as these chaps with the whistle may or may not be, calling them c##ts and sh1t is hardly going to help with the next 50/50 decision.

Still, nice to have a good rant.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Before the red Dunk was walking away, then offered as handshake - he wasn't arguing.
You’re right. He wasn’t arguing, he was (allegedly) muttering the ref was a bald bellend.

I’m done with this now. I think everyone knows my feelings on the matter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Whilst I understand everyone saying Dunk should've known better, this is the FIRST instance of a straight red for abusive language in the Prem since 2008.

So throughout Dunk's whole career this has never happened in the Prem.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Whilst I understand everyone saying Dunk should've known better, this is the FIRST instance of a straight red for abusive language in the Prem since 2008.

So throughout Dunk's whole career this has never happened in the Prem.
Rest assured, it will now be applied consistently and the game will be much better because of the brave stand that Taylor has taken.
Gawd bless him!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Is it not OK to at least question what we are seeing? Its not as if its a direct accusation of corruption, but suggesting it as one of several possibilities in the abstract shouldn't be libellous? Its not as if referee corruption is some hypothetical, there have been numerous cases around the world. There was the Calciopoli scandal in Italy during 2004-06 which led to Juventus being stripped of their league title and relegated; there was the German match-fixing scandal at the same time which led to several referees being banned for life, there have been World Cup referees banned for match-fixing and Barcelona have recently been charged with bribing the head of the Spanish referees association.

Whether or not any of us believe this is actually happening in the Premier League, nor know what form this might take, it would be naive to dismiss it out of hand.
It's an interesting question. As mods our first duty to @Bozza is to protect the site. I might be a bit 'safety first' but we discuss these things together and anything we do can be undone / reversed (though the more a deleted post is quoted, the bigger the job for us and the less likely we are to reverse).

Two things are true, so pick the bones out of this. Firstly, last season after Spurs there were a huge number of posts on here and lots of other social media alleging corruption in the PL and PGMOL. They were all over it and PB understandably wanted it dealing with. It's fair to assume that, after that, these posts and threads are watched carefully. Secondly, last night, 37000 scousers held up red banners accusing the PL of corruption on live TV.

The first post by @American Seagle was reported for it's legal minefield potential and I absolutely agreed with that description. I issued a polite warning, which I suspect went to email rather than PM like the last version of the board - we're looking at it.

What I can say about Saturday is that Dunk was a silly, silly, boy and he knows it. The red was happening whether it was straight or 2 x yellow. The penalty looks soft with the ref appearing to even up our one. Pedro was more or less assaulted in the corner with neither the assistant nor Taylor giving anything other than a free kick. I don't think any of that has to do with 'outside influences'. Forest are a similar club to us now, provincial with 30k or so crowds. There's no 'outside influence' either of us could have. It's just Taylor being shit (every week).

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As has been pointed out a number of times now, the interpretation of dissent, and foul and abusive language, has changed this season. You can’t compare the previous 12 seasons with this.
Fine - but every single week, in every single game, we (the viewer, and there are millions of us, many of whom are children, won't somebody think of the children?!) see players shouting F*** OFF at the officials.

Every single game. Maupay did it in the last non-albion game I watched live (Brentford v Arsenal).

We should be at 100+ red cards so far this season, if it was applied consistently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here