Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Agree. Stupid to blame Taylor. The pen was given. It is then never going to be overturned. Bitching off and getting yourself two cards within 15 seconds is not just pointless its unforgivable.
unforgivable? I forgave him after the match!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The issue is that we have such a low expectation from refs.
"Take your pick" shouldn't be the best option available to us, from the number 1 ref in the division.

We are happy to chastise players for reacting to increasingly erratic decisions, but not expecting any kind of clarity from officials.
The fact that no-one was sure what the yellow was given for, or even whether two yellows or a straight red had been issued, isn't really good enough.

Dunk will take his punishment and learn from it..
There is no expectation for Taylor to do the same.
You said you were unsure what the yellow was for, I suggested there were at least two issues I could see. It could also be an accumulation i.e. 'persistent offences'. The exact reason(s) do not bother me, and I do not feel they need to be communicated to me by the ref or anyone else. I believe you can go to the FA website and find the reason.

As for one or two yellows. I saw the game on tv and saw it as a straight red. I saw a yellow held up, then a red hel up, I personally did not see a second yellow.

I do not have an issue with the way Taylor dealt with the incident. @chaileyjem's post explains my feelings in a more succint and eloquent way than I have. You have a different opinion which is fine.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Dunk was stupid, I think we're pretty much all agreed on that.

Let's hope all PL referees (and linos) who get sworn at, send the offender off.

Would be 9 a side by half time but it might, long term, stop dissent and help referees at grass roots level.

Won't happen though, the issue is the inconsistency.

slimes

Aug 23, 2011
cheltenham
We must go down the rugby route.
I think the captain and players involved in an incident should only be near the ref.

Swarming around the ref and swearing at the ref makes very bad TV too.

Dunk lost his head.. I was hoping Van hecke or Pascal would of read the situation and tried to get Dunk to move away.
I've seen many times that Dunk has read the situation with his players and he's managed to step in and get them away.

There are positives..

The 10 players left on the pitch gave there all for Dunk ( we've got your back)
That team spirit was impressive.
The team will learn from Dunks mistake and we move on.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Football fans are mad sometimes.

A "I agree players should be sent off for swearing at the ref"
B "Ok so we have no complaints?"
A "Yeah I do. It should happen all the time. My issue is lack of consistency"
B "Ok, but this ref, in this game, has done the right thing. That's how you begin a trend of consistency."
A "Yeah, but he shouldn't be sent off if others aren't"
B "But you want the refs to consistently send off players for swearing at them?"
A "Yes"

and round and round we go.

People seem to want consistency and correct decisions.......just not with us being the starting example of it. Let it happen elsewhere first, then we will accept it.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Lewis Dunk was shown the first red card for dissent in the Premier League for 12 years in Brighton 's win over Nottingham Forest.

The Seagulls had to seal the three points the hard way at the City Ground as they were a man down for the final 20 minutes. Dunk was shown a yellow card for dissent and then a straight red just 12 seconds later.
The last red card for dissent was Lee Cattermole in 2011.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Football fans are mad sometimes.

A "I agree players should be sent off for swearing at the ref"
B "Ok so we have no complaints?"
A "Yeah I do. It should happen all the time. My issue is lack of consistency"
B "Ok, but this ref, in this game, has done the right thing. That's how you begin a trend of consistency."
A "Yeah, but he shouldn't be sent off if others aren't"
B "But you want the refs to consistently send off players for swearing at them?"
A "Yes"

and round and round we go.

People seem to want consistency and correct decisions.......just not with us being the starting example of it. Let it happen elsewhere first, then we will accept it.
The first red card for dissent in the EPL for 12 years. 12 YEARS.
How many "big 6" players have verbally abused referees in the past 12 years without getting a red card? 50? 100? 200?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
How many "big 6" players have verbally abused referees in the past 12 years without getting a red card? 50? 100? 200?
The corruption is clear to see.
It wasn’t for dissent !

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
The corruption is clear to see.
Is it exhausting believing people are against you when they couldn't care less? Seems like a lot of effort.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've just watched the extended highlights back and saw the incident agin. I haven't read all the comments, so don't know if it's been mentioned (and it's not really the point of the thread), but what was Hinshelwood doing going anywhere near the Forest player? The ball into the box was MILES away from the pair of them and heading straight to Bart's arms.

I'm guessing – as a youngster in a stressful match situation (ish, it WAS 3-1 at the time) – he panicked, but it's still a bit needless, no?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Dunk was stupid, I think we're pretty much all agreed on that.

Let's hope all PL referees (and linos) who get sworn at, send the offender off.

Would be 9 a side by half time but it might, long term, stop dissent and help referees at grass roots level.

Won't happen though, the issue is the inconsistency.
There is no inconsistency. No player has been sent off for dissent in the Premier League since Lee Cattermole in 2011, until Taylor sent Dunk off on Saturday. They have been totally consistent for 12 years. Taylor decided, for reasons unknown, to enforce a rule that has not been enforced once in 12 years.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There is no inconsistency. No player has been sent off for dissent in the Premier League since Lee Cattermole in 2011, until Taylor sent Dunk off on Saturday. They have been totally consistent for 12 years. Taylor decided, for reasons unknown, to enforce a rule that has not been enforced once in 12 years. It's corruption at its finest/worst.
So he did the right thing then and broke the mould.

Glad you've cleared that up. The others might take notice now.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I love Lewis Dunk but this was a disappointing error. However inconsistent refs can be (eg: Ashley Young incident) - it doesn't justify what Lewis did. The penalty was pretty routine , hardly controversial , and going down to 10 men and being suspended for 2 or 3 matches given our injury crisis is bad judgement - however frustrated he was.
And much as i love RDZ then you reap what you sow. His leadership hardly inspires respect for referees or matchday officials.
(and its not great for all of the grassroots coaches, volunteers , refs on here either trying to hold the line and prevent abuse on a Sunday morning either)
Refs are not inconsistent when it comes to red cards for dissent. Dunk's was the first in the EPL in 12 years (Lee Cattermole in 2011). They are very, very consistent. They DO NOT give red cards for dissent. They HAVE NOT applied the rule for 12 years........until Taylor decided to give Dunk a red card.
What is the reason for this aberration?

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Dermot was pretty fair on RefWatch tbf. His central point was that he didn’t think the incident with Hinshelwood was a foul and he didn’t think VAR should have asked Taylor to look at it on the monitor. He essentially said that this was what led to the cards - 100% correct!

He then confirmed the red was for foul/abusive language and therefore the sending off was fully justified - also 100% correct.

Dermot had it spot on td

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Refs are not inconsistent when it comes to red cards for dissent. Dunk's was the first in the EPL in 12 years (Lee Cattermole in 2011).
That's a good stat. Never heard that before

12 years without a single red card for dissent in the EPL.

Lewis Dunk was shown the first red card for dissent in the Premier League for 12 years in Brighton 's win over Nottingham Forest.
ah

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here