Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Unfortunately he needlessly saw the red mist. At the very worst it was going to halve our lead, with the final whistle in sight. In the moment, unable to see the big picture.

I hope it doesn’t end his England prospects, after all his hard work. It use to be said that his bad disciplinary record meant England felt they couldn’t rely on him.

There is an ongoing narrative that Dunk was sent off for losing control.
This implies that Dunk's reaction was excessive.
This is not what happened.

As captain he had the right to ask /challenge a decision the ref has come to.
Taylor doesn't warn Dunk that he's pushing it.
He over-reacts to Dunk challenging a decision that he has been forced to change by the VAR operators.

Dunk then made an unwise comment and got the ultimate punishment for it
A punishment that hasn't been administered for 11 years.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
If it’s straight red I thought there was only two reasons you could still get a 3 game ban these days… foul and abusive language or violent conduct. So I think it would be 3 games wouldnt it?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If it’s straight red I thought there was only two reasons you could still get a 3 game ban these days… foul and abusive language or violent conduct. So I think it would be 3 games wouldnt it?

No using offensive, insulting or abusive language is a 2 game ban. 3 game bans are for violent conduct or serious foul play.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
….unless he’s picking up a further suspension for the initial yellow

He'd only pick up an extra game suspension if this was his second red of the season.

I am pretty certain that if a player gets a 5th or 10th caution of the season that would normally lead to a ban, and then picks up a red card in the same game the yellow card is wiped from their record as the red card suspension effectively over-rides it. So a player wouldn't pick up a 4 game ban for a combined 5th yellow card and straight red for violent conduct in the same match. The same would apply to two yellow cards in the same game, neither count towards the 5/10 caution threshold.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He over-reacts to Dunk challenging a decision that he has been forced to change by the VAR operators.

(I'd be the same) he look very narked/angry, hence the foul language insult.

A separate point, I agree that footballers get away with this 99.9% of the time, the bald-headed c*nt :lolol: loved the flourish of the cards. Rooney told refs to f*ck off on repeat, it was noted at the time. As ever an increasingly inconsistent PL.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Funny how exactly the same happened in the Spurs Villa match today, where I think McGinn pumped some f***s into the ref after a decision that went against Villa and nothing happened...........................where is the consistency ?
This is the kind of video the club should send to the EPL when they ask for the card to be rescinded. Either a load of other reds need to retrospectively given out or Dunk's need to be removed. That is consistency. Anything less and they are admitting they are incompetent or under external influence.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Surely, we'll get to a stage where certain refs are so despised at every club that there will be huge
public order/safety issues should they be appointed.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Funny how exactly the same happened in the Spurs Villa match today, where I think McGinn pumped some f***s into the ref after a decision that went against Villa and nothing happened...........................where is the consistency ?

Everybody feels their own club is harder done by than any other. It's one of the side effects of football being a sport followed largely by manbabies who increasingly believe they have no agency in a rapidly diversifying and less easily understandable world (and that's not a criticism btw as I'm just as guilty of this myself).

That said, was the player in the Spurs-Villa game swearing in front of the ref or directly calling the ref a bad word? There's a big difference. A mate of mine briefly reffed Sussex Sunday League games a decade or so ago (and won ref of the year in his first season). He rarely booked and never sent anyone off for randomly effing and blinding about stuff (and effed and blinded back with them) but the first and only guy to say "you're a c**t, ref" to him got a straight red and (Sussex FA imposed) three month ban.

There's a big difference re whether swearing is directed at the situation (the air, the decision, the general sense of exasperation etc) or specifically at the person with the whistle. I'm not saying that's the key difference between McGinn and Dunk today (as I have seen neither incident even via video) but I rather suspect it might be tbh.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t agree there’s an ongoing narrative Dunk lost control. He was on the ref’s shoulder when he was reviewing the penalty and then protesting….that‘s a yellow; you can choose one or two reasons there . He then said something unwise and got a red. It’s this simple.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
This is the kind of video the club should send to the EPL when they ask for the card to be rescinded. Either a load of other reds need to retrospectively given out or Dunk's need to be removed. That is consistency. Anything less and they are admitting they are incompetent or under external influence.

We will not get Dunks red card overturned on that evidence. The only way to get a red card over turned is to prove the player didn't do whatever he was sent off for. The lack of consistency in how the laws are applied is not a mitigating circumstance that the FA will listen to if we made an appeal. In fact if we went in with that as our sole basis for an appeal i'd fully expect an extra game to be added for a frivolous appeal.

It would be a bit like saying everyone else was speeding when you were the only driver to get a speeding ticket. Everyone else getting away with it is not a defence.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Other people have said no one has been sent off for dissent for 11 years, BUT that’s not what happened here.
He had a yellow card for dissent.
he then had a straight red for foul and abusive language. The Argus has said that the Press Association have confirmed the straight red. Calling the ref a cheating @&#* is not wise. (Rhymes with punt)
It’s apparently a 2 match ban.

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
If a referee uses VAR to give a penalty (not given in real time), we need to see the video they used to make that decision.

If Dunk is sent off for saying something naughty, we should be told what he said and why this attracted a red card while what appears to be similar behaviour from other players doesn't even get a yellow.

I fully support treating the referees with respect, but decisions need to be consistent.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
If a referee uses VAR to give a penalty (not given in real time), we need to see the video they used to make that decision.

If Dunk is sent off for saying something naughty, we should be told what he said and why this attracted a red card while what appears to be similar behaviour from other players doesn't even get a yellow.

I fully support treating the referees with respect, but decisions need to be consistent.
Yes to both these points. Still don't actually know what the penalty was for - pull, push, trip....?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've warned you privately, and now I'm warning you publicly. Post things about officials on here that you can't back up and you'll be banned.

I've absolutely no doubt that PGMOL will check the social media and message boards of the competing clubs. If they take objection to something that clearly cannot be proven in any way, you'll be gone before NSC is.

Capiche?

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It would be a bit like saying everyone else was speeding when you were the only driver to get a speeding ticket. Everyone else getting away with it is not a defence.
And yet inconsistency across the board is an issue and primarily the reason Managers like RDZ and Pep are getting so frustrated so something needs to be done - VAR was supposed to do that but at the moment, it is contributing to the overall feeling of chaos and indecision around infractions of the some of the most easily understood rules of the game. For justice to be done it has to be seen to be done - at the moment the whole game is constantly open to disrepute because it opens refs up to the charge of partiality even when more often than not, there is no evidence of that - and that’s when the conspiracy theorists start crawling out from under the rocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here