Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you are sent off for a second bookable offence, do you get shown a yellow card followed by a red, or just the red card only.

Dunk seemed to be shown a yellow card for the first booking, followed by a red card for the second offence.
A second bookable should be a yellow and a red. That's what I thought I saw on MOTD but it appears I was wrong.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If it was a straight red, and as someone posted yesterday, the first straight red for dissent since 2011. Surely the club will appeal?

I simply cannot believe that any other players haven't sworn at a ref, or called them worse than "bellend" if that is clarified, since 2011.

Don't believe the PL would extend it for appealing as already seems way OTT, so a downgrade to 2 yellows, saving 1 game suspended makes appealing a no brainer?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Or could it be 2 for abusive language + 1 for a second caution in a match?

No.

It will be a two game ban, he wasn't given a second caution as a red card is not a caution, only a yellow card is considered a caution.

If it was a straight red, and as someone posted yesterday, the first straight red for dissent since 2011. Surely the club will appeal?

I simply cannot believe that any other players haven't sworn at a ref, or called them worse than "bellend" if that is clarified, since 2011.

Don't believe the PL would extend it for appealing as already seems way OTT, so a downgrade to 2 yellows, saving 1 game suspended makes appealing a no brainer?

I don't believe they can downgrade a red to a yellow on an appeal. They can only uphold or overturn the red card.

Also just because other players haven't been sent off for abusive language before doesn't make it a mitigating circumstance for the red card to be overturned. The only chance we've got of getting this overturned is if Dunk didn't actually say whatever the ref claims he did and we can prove it to the FA. I'd be very surprised if we risked an appeal.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He did not get a red card for dissent, it would be for foul or abusive language, or whatever they call that offence these days. Last time I recall seeing a straight red for it was when Taricco got sent off at Saints after the ref awarded a pen for a foul, by Dunk coincidentally, that was clearly outside the box. That was 2011 I think.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Just heard from someone who will know.

Yellow was for being at the var monitor when ref watched it back.

Then straight red for foul and abusive language.
If he was shown yellow for being at the VAR monitor, then he was certainly shown a second yellow before the red.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
All I will say on Dunk incident football just has to do something about this chat and surrounding refs. They all do it VAR has made it worse with now players surrounding ref to tell him to go to screen. Just book anybody apart from captain who talks to ref and send them off if they do it again. Whilst not saying Forest was not a penalty I dont think VAR showed anything that ref didnt see. Question was did attacker get in front of defender who could then not avoid going into him

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed.

So it would surprise me not if the after-timing ref claims that he simply didn't think it necessary to show the second yellow when he red carded him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
From the forest Forum matchday thread!

Screenshot_20231126_122909_Chrome.jpg

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's incredible we still don't know whether it was a second yellow or a straight red.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If he was shown yellow for being at the VAR monitor, then he was certainly shown a second yellow before the red.
If that was the case, why did no-one see the first booking?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

There’s a difference between dissent and “foul and abusive language”

if he just carried on saying “but ref, you’re still wrong”, that would be second yellow card, then red for two yellow card offences.

If he said, “cheating c##t,” “ bald prick” or any of the other things I have read that people say he said and the ref interpreted it as foul and abusive language, then straight red.

I haven’t seen it so don’t have an opinion on whether a second yellow was shown. But either way, Dunk was stupid, and Taylor didn’t cover himself in glory.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
That’s what people are missing - he was shown a yellow for standing over the ref at the VAR monitor and a second in very quick succession for continuing to argue over the penalty decision- it was the second yellow offence within 12 seconds so maybe it was missed by viewers?

Any videos?

Can’t access this one but our American friends will be able to

Brighton & Hove Albion Live Blog reported Dunk received two yellow cards before being show the red -

IMG_0793.jpeg

Last edited:

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Has anyone seen a different camera angle to the Hinshelwood "foul" that ultimately led to Dunk's dismissal ? If so can they post it.

The Albion highlights and MOTD are the same camera shot ,which if it is the same as the ref viewed on the monitor, is very difficult to judge who fouled who . Multiple different camera angles are shown on the goals and also J.Pedro being fouled for the penalty yet not for the Forest pen.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Maybe the ref changed it to a red a few moments later because watching the blog at the time (and see screen shot above), it definitely said a second yellow had been shown? - it would be good to see a video playback but moving on, so Dunk misses Chelsea and Brentford.

At least he can churn it out for 90mins or so v Athens knowing he can rest afterwards 🙂
That screenshot is absolute trash though, you’ve had this pointed out to you already. That blog was wrong, simple as. It also says that Dunk conceded the penalty. Forget about the blog.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Has anyone seen a different camera angle to the Hinshelwood "foul" that ultimately led to Dunk's dismissal ? If so can they post it.

The Albion highlights and MOTD are the same camera shot ,which if it is the same as the ref viewed on the monitor, is very difficult to judge who fouled who . Multiple different camera angles are shown on the goals and also J.Pedro being fouled for the penalty yet not for the Forest pen.
I was going to post about this. The only footage I've seen is extremely inconclusive, not shown up close and from one angle.

This may have been what made Dunk so incensed, if he'd seen it while standing near the monitor.

If that was all Taylor saw, there's absolutely nothing there to suggest a clear and obvious error was made.

(So Dunk was right - he is a bald ****, ****** and/or bellend!)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here