[Albion] Dunk - straight red?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
On the highlights it looks like Dunk realises he’s crossed the line in abusing Taylor. He holds his hand out to shake Taylor’s as he says sorry. The look of resignation on his face when Taylor reaches for the red is quite telling
This was my read too.
Dunk calls him a bald c you next Tuesday/bellend but as he walks away he then spins round and extends his hand in peace once he realises that wasn't the brightest thing to do just on a yellow.

Taylor then goes straight to his pocket for a red but perhaps intended a 2nd yellow, wouldn't put it past him.

Last edited:

Roy Race

Apr 15, 2021
Brighton
Interesting how different people interpret body language.
I can't see any of that.

What I saw was:
Dunk remonstrates and gets a yellow.
Shows disbelief, walks away and says something.
Taylor gets officious and chases after Dunk.
Dunk offers his hand and Taylor shows the red.
Taylor proves what an utter bellend he is.
Dunk laughs in his face.
Why would he offer his hand if he wasn’t worried that he’d overstepped tho?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s the first straight red card for dissent in the Premier League since 2011 which shows how we seem to be treated differently when you consider how many players have gone mental at referees and got away with it over the past 12 years.
It’s not appropriate to compare to previous years though; the threshold for dissent bookings was lowered this season.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I've never attended a football match and thought how wonderful to watch those uneducated working class people running around.
No? What do you think when watching them run around then?

Last edited:

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It’s the first straight red card for dissent in the Premier League since 2011 which shows how we seem to be treated differently when you consider how many players have gone mental at referees and got away with it over the past 12 years.
All the BBC stories on the game are now saying two yellows, I'm still not sure it really IS a straight red after all, despite Taylor only showing one yellow and then the red, the official line may still be two yellows

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Dunk, especially as the captain, should know better; it was widely publicised refs are cracking down on dissent this season.

It’s even more disappointing given our injury woes.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Right I've watched this back a LOT. I think the conversation went like this:

Dunk: "Over there? What about (that foul?) over there?" (or something)
Taylor: "Don't get in my face" (Issues Yellow Card)
Dunk: "You're a complete BELLEND"
Dunk: Realises. Apologises and tries to shake Taylors hand.
Taylor: "No. I heard what you said to me" (Issues straight red)

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Why would he offer his hand if he wasn’t worried that he’d overstepped tho?
He didn't look worried, though.
BaldPrick.jpg

Taylor has just given the first straight red for dissent in 12 seasons.
Why should he be worried?

Over-reaction by the ref. (look at his pompous expression)
He won't do that against a big 6 captain. it will be all smiles, accepting the handshake and getting on with the game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
All the BBC stories on the game are now saying two yellows, I'm still not sure it really IS a straight red after all, despite Taylor only showing one yellow and then the red, the official line may still be two yellows
My post on page 1ish of the thread came from someone at the club who was at the game.

So the club certainly believed it was a straight red at the time and I’ve heard nothing since to suggest it’s otherwise.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
It’s not appropriate to compare to previous years though; the threshold for dissent bookings was lowered this season.
Referees were strict at the start of the season then the clampdown seemed to die down. I remember Pickford calling the assistant referee a f****** p**** in a match on tv this season and not even getting a yellow card.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes, he was shown a straight red - but I'm sure it was really two yellows and Taylor was just too flustered to pull out his yellow a second time. I'm not sure what offence he could have committed to earn a straight red?

If he was shown a straight red rather than a second yellow it could be appealed.
the guy is an absolute tit.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Just heard from someone who will know.

Yellow was for being at the var monitor when ref watched it back.

Then straight red for foul and abusive language.
calling someone a bald prick is hardly foul and abusive ......one wonders what sort of world Taylor lives in ffs...!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Referees were strict at the start of the season then the clampdown seemed to die down. I remember Pickford calling the assistant referee a f****** p**** in a match on tv this season and not even getting a yellow card.
I agree it has died down. But my point about previous seasons stands, and others getting away with it isn’t a defense.

I really don’t think Dunk can have any complaints

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I agree. But others getting away with it isn’t a defense.
Absolutely. It was stupid of Dunk to do it and I’d prefer referees to consistently give out red cards for this kind of thing. However, it’s been a long time since someone was sent off for dissent and I’d be surprised if we see another one this season which makes it seem unfair.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Straight red for “using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or action(s).”

You can’t appeal it because what he said was the above!

Really stupid by Dunk and got what he deserved. You can’t go round saying that directly to the referee. Most fans would like to see what happens in Rugby where referees are treated with respect. You then can’t moan just because our Captain breaks the laws of the game.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I appreciate it’s the da*ly ma*l but they seem pretty convinced it was a yellow followed by a straight red… 3 match ban ->

Article
"Aggressive reaction" absolute bolleaux.

Had he berated the ref with a foul-mouthed tirade, then fair enough, but he didn't.
Dunk Walked away and made an unflattering comment.

In the great scheme of things it was a total standard altercation, that will have happened in every game yesterday.
3 game ban?
Yeah, I'm sure it will be.
It just won't happen to any of the big 6 captains, in this, or any other season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports