Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy - Season Long Loan To Celtic Confirmed

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
They are one of my favorite betting objects, I have been watching them perhaps 20 times over the last year and also quite a lot historically speaking, they have a lot of fans over here from the era with Johan Mjällby & Henrik Larsson - if you go to a sports bar here they are more likely to show Celtic playing in the SPL than the average PL team. I've tracked them quite closely for a lot of years - I like the club - and could probably name every one of their squad members for the last 20 years.

They've never had any competition except for Rangers and yet they were a decent side in Europe until about ten years ago, a team that could make it a long way in the Europa League and had enough quality for people to think "maybe you and Rangers should join the PL?". No talk of that these days, for good reason.

As for Europe the problem isnt losing "BIG" European games, they cant be expected to do that considering the level of the SPL. The problem is that they lose a lot of "SMALL" European games - and most often fairly.

The reason they most often cant defeat teams like Köpenhamn, Malmö, Cluj and Ferencvaros is not because the SPL is bad, but because they are bad - their squads cant defeat these sides on a regular basis.

It shouldnt be possible. With average attendances of nearly 60 000 and the power to recruit all the best talent in Scotland and plenty abroad, they should be able to build a team that are at least equally good to other dominant sides in weak leagues, like the Dutch top trio, FC Köpenhamn, Shaktar Donetsk, FC Basel etc.

Sure, all these teams have better competition than the SPL, but the difference shouldnt be miles wide - a team that got 60 000 people in the stands cant have ****ing Scott Brown as a mandatory part of their lineup. No one would even bother giving him a shirt in any Championship side.

They constantly have 30-35 mediocre players in their squad. As you say, they keep recruiting cheap (and worse so, bad) managers but they also fail to build a truly fruitful youth academy and fail to sign players with either enough potential and enough quality. You say they "constantly pick up cheap signings and sell them on a profit. I disagree heavily - they sign about fifteen players every summer and while a few turns into Moussa Dembeles or Stuart Armstrongs, they have a very, very poor success rate with their signings. Most arrive for a million pound or two and leave on a free transfer a year or two later.

Why? Because they are shit. They are shit at a ownership/board room/higher management level, and they "hide" it with their great history and bag of league titles.

A Swede teaching a Scot about Celtic Football Club ? - That must be a first !

The part in Bold above is nonsense - Some of your opinions are very Valid and well thought through on here but thats nonsense.

The reason they have been awful in Europe is because they haven't had a Manager who can keep them focussed

Neil Lennon - Ronnie Delia and Tony Mowbray FFS

Under Brendan Rogers 2 out of his 3 years he got them to the Group Stages and they got knocked out because they were in a tough group. His last year they lost to AEK Athens who wern't that bad a side. They would never have got knocked out by those sides in the last 2 years under Brendan Rogers.

My Family are all Celtic Fans ( Except me) - Some go and see them every week and every one of them say the same. The Manager or lack of a decent one and Complacency are what is holding them back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
My favorite theory about loaning out Glenn Murray is that no one would pay anything for a 37 year old striker.

My favorite theory about loaning out Shane Duffy is that he got three years left on his contract and that his value is about half from a non-covid summer so its just wiser to loan him out now and sell him for £10m next summer instead of £5m this summer.

My theory is that Shane wanted to go and when a player like Shane Duffy gets an opportunity to go to Celtic. He is never gonna turn it down. It is difficult to keep a player when he wants to go.

Celtic can't afford to buy him so a Loan is probably a compromise between the clubs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The part in Bold above is nonsense - Some of your opinions are very Valid and well thought through on here but thats nonsense.

The reason they have been awful in Europe is because they haven't had a Manager who can keep them focussed

Under Brendan Rogers 2 out of his 3 years he got them to the Group Stages and they got knocked out because they were in a tough group. His last year they lost to AEK Athens who wern't that bad a side. They would never have got knocked out by those sides in the last 2 years under Brendan Rogers.

My Family are all Celtic Fans ( Except me) - Some go and see them every week and every one of them say the same. The Manager or lack of a decent one and Complacency are what is holding them back.

So you are saying they are not shit, but they have a shit board appointing shit managers that sign players who may or may not be shit but at least shit enough not to be "focused" when they have a chance to qualifiy to the biggest club tournament in the world?

I'm not sure how this contradicts my initial statement that Celtic are shit (right now and for the most part of the last ten years).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

You also forget the role poor refereeing has played in their European torment. Neil Lennon has consistently criticised refereeing decisions which unanimously go against Celtic in all big games, no other side gets such poor luck and bad refereeing decisions than Celtic do.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Do turn it in. You're either clueless or Palace.

Bournemouth are down. Gone. Toast. In the Championship and unloading goods faster than a Scouser on a back street. We, on the other hand, have used the loan system to train a young CB with Bielsa so that he's Premier League ready, get Knockaert used to Fulham so that they activated the sales clause and paid us way OTT for him and got valuable experience overseas with our other young talent, all the time only paying a portion of the wages. And, should the worst happen and we go down this season we get Duffy back for the Championship, in which he'd be an absolute monster.

This.

I'd be better of reading the 'Thoughts of Chairman GB' blog than NSC, most of the time, frankly.

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You also forget the role poor refereeing has played in their European torment. Neil Lennon has consistently criticised refereeing decisions which unanimously go against Celtic in all big games, no other side gets such poor luck and bad refereeing decisions than Celtic do.

Gold. :O:clap:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you are saying they are not shit, but they have a shit board appointing shit managers that sign players who may or may not be shit but at least shit enough not to be "focused" when they have a chance to qualifiy to the biggest club tournament in the world?

I'm not sure how this contradicts my initial statement that Celtic are shit (right now and for the most part of the last ten years).

I'm enjoying my quick read of NSC while pretending to listen to student talks on Teams today :clap2::clap2::clap2:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Then him and Sean Dyche should form a ''Posse'' and Run Referee's out of town

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

You are not even listening to what I am saying ''When they appointed the one decent Manager within that 10 year period, then they had some success''

Their failures have been in Recruitment of Managers, with the exception of Brendan Rogers in that period

So I repeat '' Neil Lennon, Ronnie Delia and Tony Mowbray have all bee awful Management appointments. ''

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You are not even listening to what I am saying ''When they appointed the one decent Manager within that 10 year period, then they had some success''

Their failures have been in Recruitment of Managers, with the exception of Brendan Rogers in that period

So I repeat '' Neil Lennon, Ronnie Delia and Tony Mowbray have all bee awful Management appointments. ''

I think you're violently agreeing with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Poor manager = poor recruitment, tactics and motivation. Which, personally, I'd call shit :)

Maybe Big Shane will improve on all of that. He's certainly good enough.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think you're violently agreeing with [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Poor manager = poor recruitment, tactics and motivation. Which, personally, I'd call shit :)

Maybe Big Shane will improve on all of that. He's certainly good enough.

I am not agreeing with him. Their Recruitment has been hit and miss in terms of players but largely acceptable. They just haven't been able to recruit a Manager with any quality apart from Brendan Rogers. When he was in Charge he was just unfortunate that they came up against Barcelona and Man City in one year and then PSG and Bayern Munich the following year in the Group Stages of the CL.

If Celtic recruit a good Manager they will do better. They are not ''Shit'' - I hate defending Celtic or Rangers. It just isn't my Psyche to do so but to describe them as ''Shit'' is not accurate.

Shane Duffy will improve them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

No, no... I hear you. They had a good manager once. And this £100m revenue club managed to attract the odd Gary Hooper every now and then... about one Gary Hooper for every twelve Derk Boerrigter...

Still...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

It's something of a cause and effect situation though isn't it? All clubs make managerial ricks from time to time but better (or wealthier) clubs tend to attract better applicants. It isn't simply a case of Celtic making numerous poor choices it's also the market in which they operate, surely? No disrespect to them, it is just how it is now.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
No, no... I hear you. They had a good manager once. And this £100m revenue club managed to attract the odd Gary Hooper every now and then... about one Gary Hooper for every twelve Derk Boerrigter...

Still...

Thank you Swanny, I was trying desperately the other day to remember who it was that single-handedly ripped us apart when playing for Scunthorpe United under Adams MK2 at Withdean. Now I remember it was Gary Hooper. I remember wishing at the time that we could sign him, but that was the time when the players practically had to take their own bucket and pump if they wanted a shower after the game. He of course went to Celtic, though I can't remember whether they signed him from Scunthorpe or someone else.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Still...

There is more than Hooper - Van Djik - Dembele - Tierney - Armstrong - Foster - Wanyama - Mc Geady - Ki that they have turned large profits on

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's something of a cause and effect situation though isn't it? All clubs make managerial ricks from time to time but better (or wealthier) clubs tend to attract better applicants. It isn't simply a case of Celtic making numerous poor choices it's also the market in which they operate, surely? No disrespect to them, it is just how it is now.

I agree with you 100% - My arguement was with someone calling them ''Shit'' - I don't know why I am even arguing in their favour. I hate Celtic and I hate Rangers - Their Religious Bigotry knows no bounds and I can't stand that but they are not ''Shit'' - Thats all I am saying

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here