Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy - Season Long Loan To Celtic Confirmed

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Tom Barclay suggesting we are still paying £20k of his £45k a week wages...

Which is still better than letting him go to someone we're in direct competition with.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Bournmouth had other clubs seemed to sell players for good money which helped with buying new players. Pity we always seem to loan

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I see there is some talk of a statue to remember Murray's not insignificant contribution.

I think we will need a virtual tribute to Big Shane, as sort of Memorial for the lost aerial battle. Supporters will be able to go there and leave a scalf or ritually burn their season ticket, every time a header is lost.

At the first sign of a downturn in form I predict outcries of bring back big Shane to sort out defending at corners, free kicks and anything in the air.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
All the best Shane.. epic defender for us, I always felt you could score more goals then you did.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Brilliant news for big Shane and, again, shows that Brighton aren’t the “greedy shits” alleged by Leeds’ godawful claptrap.

Giving him this move on loan in recognition of his service rather than flogging him to WBA or West Ham for £10m shows what we are about.

Celtic are my “second team” so even better.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Bournmouth had other clubs seemed to sell players for good money which helped with buying new players. Pity we always seem to loan

Arguably Bournemouth might have stayed up if they hadn't sold Mings to Villa given the fine margins.

Best of luck to Shane. If we have done him a favour instead of the money route, I'm all for it. Players are more likely to sign for us than one who won't if things don't quite work out. Bravest player we have had for a long while and I will miss him especially when we play the likes of Burnley.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Do turn it in. You're either clueless or Palace.

Bournemouth are down. Gone. Toast. In the Championship and unloading goods faster than a Scouser on a back street. We, on the other hand, have used the loan system to train a young CB with Bielsa so that he's Premier League ready, get Knockaert used to Fulham so that they activated the sales clause and paid us way OTT for him and got valuable experience overseas with our other young talent, all the time only paying a portion of the wages. And, should the worst happen and we go down this season we get Duffy back for the Championship, in which he'd be an absolute monster.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I wonder if they'll let him beat up the Celtic goalie whenever he claims a cross or makes a decent save, he used to love doing that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And you have watched them play how many times to enable you to make such a disparaging comment ?

They are most certainly not ''shit' - They are under achieving with the squad they have - Thats down to two things. They have a manager who was limited in ability as a player and as a Manager and they have gone for a Manager on the cheap. AGAIN

They constantly pick up players on the cheap and sell them on at a profit - They also suffer from lack of Competition in the League that they play in. The biggest rival to them last year outside Rangers was Motherwell who finished 3rd - And Motherwell get average gates of 4K - Not having competitive opposition to play against week after week means that a lot of their players become complacent in some matches and they are often not ready for it when the Big European matches come around.

I am no fan of either Celtic nor Rangers but Celtic I would never describe as '' shit '' - Fans of both Rangers and Celtic are '' Bigoted Shits '' but their fan base is Massively Loyal and they have a very strong history. It isn't their fault that the Clubs around them cannot realistically afford to compete against them on a regular basis.

F#ckin Hell - Have I just defended Celtic - Must go lie down in a darkened room

They are one of my favorite betting objects, I have been watching them perhaps 20 times over the last year and also quite a lot historically speaking, they have a lot of fans over here from the era with Johan Mjällby & Henrik Larsson - if you go to a sports bar here they are more likely to show Celtic playing in the SPL than the average PL team. I've tracked them quite closely for a lot of years - I like the club - and could probably name every one of their squad members for the last 20 years.

They've never had any competition except for Rangers and yet they were a decent side in Europe until about ten years ago, a team that could make it a long way in the Europa League and had enough quality for people to think "maybe you and Rangers should join the PL?". No talk of that these days, for good reason.

As for Europe the problem isnt losing "BIG" European games, they cant be expected to do that considering the level of the SPL. The problem is that they lose a lot of "SMALL" European games - and most often fairly.

The reason they most often cant defeat teams like Köpenhamn, Malmö, Cluj and Ferencvaros is not because the SPL is bad, but because they are bad - their squads cant defeat these sides on a regular basis.

It shouldnt be possible. With average attendances of nearly 60 000 and the power to recruit all the best talent in Scotland and plenty abroad, they should be able to build a team that are at least equally good to other dominant sides in weak leagues, like the Dutch top trio, FC Köpenhamn, Shaktar Donetsk, FC Basel etc.

Sure, all these teams have better competition than the SPL, but the difference shouldnt be miles wide - a team that got 60 000 people in the stands cant have ****ing Scott Brown as a mandatory part of their lineup. No one would even bother giving him a shirt in any Championship side.

They constantly have 30-35 mediocre players in their squad. As you say, they keep recruiting cheap (and worse so, bad) managers but they also fail to build a truly fruitful youth academy and fail to sign players with either enough potential and enough quality. You say they "constantly pick up cheap signings and sell them on a profit. I disagree heavily - they sign about fifteen players every summer and while a few turns into Moussa Dembeles or Stuart Armstrongs, they have a very, very poor success rate with their signings. Most arrive for a million pound or two and leave on a free transfer a year or two later.

Why? Because they are shit. They are shit at a ownership/board room/higher management level, and they "hide" it with their great history and bag of league titles.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Good luck Mc Duff , he has been a rock for us and deserves first team football , Celtic like Rangers have just improved their defence no end courtesy of a #teamlikebrighton .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

In 19/20, they bought players for €56.45m and sold for €34.50m.

In 18/19, they bought players for €89.10m and sold for €20.20m.

In 17/18 they bought players for €34.30m and sold for €0.

In 16/17 they bougt players for €40.69m and sold for €23.69m.

In 15/16 they bought players for €55.11m and sold for €650k.

And now they are in the Championship.

While they have recieved a lot more money than Brighton, they are hardly some kind of role model from a football or financial perspective. Keeping your £20m players instead of selling them also keeps you up in the PL - in itself worth about £200m a year.

Unlike Bournemouth, Brighton invested that income (mostly) wisely. What is Bissoumas value trajectory compared to Philip Billing? Maupay compared Solanke? Trossard compared to Ibe & Danjuma? Webster & Burn compared to Lloyd Kelly?

Sure, they sold five players for over £10m whereas Brighton kept them, but spent all of it and more on shit and are now in Championship with debts and very unlikely to get back into the PL anytime soon. Hardly an example to follow.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
So... do we have a favourite theory as to why we're loaning players rather than selling them?

I would guess with this one, there is still a risk of a big 6 club going for White or Dunk now or in January - but that would assume that this loan has a recall clause?

My favorite theory about loaning out Glenn Murray is that no one would pay anything for a 37 year old striker.

My favorite theory about loaning out Shane Duffy is that he got three years left on his contract and that his value is about half from a non-covid summer so its just wiser to loan him out now and sell him for £10m next summer instead of £5m this summer.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So... do we have a favourite theory as to why we're loaning players rather than selling them?

I would guess with this one, there is still a risk of a big 6 club going for White or Dunk now or in January - but that would assume that this loan has a recall clause?

Celtic can't afford to buy Duffy at the moment - going out of the CL didn't help.

We don't want to sell to either West Ham / West Brom in the same way we didn't want to sell White to Leeds.

Good Luck Shane - dream move for him.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I feel a little sorry for Webster - in amongst all this White and Dunk chat, it was Webster who looked comfortably the best of the 3 on Saturday v Chelsea.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They are one of my favorite betting objects, I have been watching them perhaps 20 times over the last year and also quite a lot historically speaking, they have a lot of fans over here from the era with Johan Mjällby & Henrik Larsson - if you go to a sports bar here they are more likely to show Celtic playing in the SPL than the average PL team. I've tracked them quite closely for a lot of years - I like the club - and could probably name every one of their squad members for the last 20 years.

They've never had any competition except for Rangers and yet they were a decent side in Europe until about ten years ago, a team that could make it a long way in the Europa League and had enough quality for people to think "maybe you and Rangers should join the PL?". No talk of that these days, for good reason.

As for Europe the problem isnt losing "BIG" European games, they cant be expected to do that considering the level of the SPL. The problem is that they lose a lot of "SMALL" European games - and most often fairly.

The reason they most often cant defeat teams like Köpenhamn, Malmö, Cluj and Ferencvaros is not because the SPL is bad, but because they are bad - their squads cant defeat these sides on a regular basis.

It shouldnt be possible. With average attendances of nearly 60 000 and the power to recruit all the best talent in Scotland and plenty abroad, they should be able to build a team that are at least equally good to other dominant sides in weak leagues, like the Dutch top trio, FC Köpenhamn, Shaktar Donetsk, FC Basel etc.

Sure, all these teams have better competition than the SPL, but the difference shouldnt be miles wide - a team that got 60 000 people in the stands cant have ****ing Scott Brown as a mandatory part of their lineup. No one would even bother giving him a shirt in any Championship side.

They constantly have 30-35 mediocre players in their squad. As you say, they keep recruiting cheap (and worse so, bad) managers but they also fail to build a truly fruitful youth academy and fail to sign players with either enough potential and enough quality. You say they "constantly pick up cheap signings and sell them on a profit. I disagree heavily - they sign about fifteen players every summer and while a few turns into Moussa Dembeles or Stuart Armstrongs, they have a very, very poor success rate with their signings. Most arrive for a million pound or two and leave on a free transfer a year or two later.

Why? Because they are shit. They are shit at a ownership/board room/higher management level, and they "hide" it with their great history and bag of league titles.

In 19/20, they bought players for €56.45m and sold for €34.50m.

In 18/19, they bought players for €89.10m and sold for €20.20m.

In 17/18 they bought players for €34.30m and sold for €0.

In 16/17 they bougt players for €40.69m and sold for €23.69m.

In 15/16 they bought players for €55.11m and sold for €650k.

And now they are in the Championship.

While they have recieved a lot more money than Brighton, they are hardly some kind of role model from a football or financial perspective. Keeping your £20m players instead of selling them also keeps you up in the PL - in itself worth about £200m a year.

Unlike Bournemouth, Brighton invested that income (mostly) wisely. What is Bissoumas value trajectory compared to Philip Billing? Maupay compared Solanke? Trossard compared to Ibe & Danjuma? Webster & Burn compared to Lloyd Kelly?

Sure, they sold five players for over £10m whereas Brighton kept them, but spent all of it and more on shit and are now in Championship with debts and very unlikely to get back into the PL anytime soon. Hardly an example to follow.

My favorite theory about loaning out Glenn Murray is that no one would pay anything for a 37 year old striker.

My favorite theory about loaning out Shane Duffy is that he got three years left on his contract and that his value is about half from a non-covid summer so its just wiser to loan him out now and sell him for £10m next summer instead of £5m this summer.

:thumbsup:

Get [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] on The Albion Roar. He needs to start building a media profile (to go along side his pizza box mountain).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

We don't sell to rivals. We place players on good loans to suit the players and in return, get a chunky loan fee and a proportion of wages off the books towards incoming players salaries. At the same time we declutter the the pathway for the development youngsters to follow. We are a very professional club.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Rumour is it's because we are paying some of his wages still.
The Covid affected transfer market is likely to affect the price players like Duffy.

Could be a knocky style agreement to buy for £10m next season...
I would doubt they would want to see him go after he's played a season for them.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Arguably Bournemouth might have stayed up if they hadn't sold Mings to Villa given the fine margins.

Best of luck to Shane. If we have done him a favour instead of the money route, I'm all for it. Players are more likely to sign for us than one who won't if things don't quite work out. Bravest player we have had for a long while and I will miss him especially when we play the likes of Burnley.

Our time bandit GK will miss him more I’m guessing.

Big Shanes face rather than top bin... has to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here