Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Duffy post Celtic loan

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If our preferred formation is to play 3 centre-backs, he will get plenty of game time.

Increasingly our wage bill will grow and I suspect he is currently a mid-range salary.
We have a definite need for him, even if it's just a defensive option on the bench.

Players like AJ, Ryan and Davy have been shipped out because they were unlikely to even make the bench this season.
That isn't going to be the case with Duffy. As it stands he'll make every match-day squad.

Well listening to him on the radio this morning, he seems absurdly grateful to the club for giving him a second chance.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I bloody love Shane Duffy.

The Duncan Duffy partnership was, for three years, a thing of absolute beauty. There have been fewer finer sights in a Brighton shirt than Duffy steaming twenty yards to obliterate a striker as he not only wins the ball but sends it 40 yards back the way it came. Time after time, game after game.

With how little he was used in Potter's first season, his being shipped out on loan and his relative lack of natural ball playing ability I thought his time with us was up. It would be fantastic if there was still a place for him in the squad. He has abilities that we need, if Potter can work out a way to make use of them without compromising what he wants from the team I'd be delighted.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Well listening to him on the radio this morning, he seems absurdly grateful to the club for giving him a second chance.

He was in an understandably low place after last season.
Not surprising he would be grateful at getting the chance to prove himself.

He is of course also lucky that Ben White has gone and Ostigard is not quite ready.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He was in an understandably low place after last season.

Yep, and he admitted to that himself, saying that he was devoid of all confidence come the end of last season.

His time at his boyhood heroes Celtic, turned out to be the loan from Hell. The death of his father not helping either, obviously.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a strange one really. Didn't someone (Blackburn?) want to buy him for about £3M last summer, but we loaned him to his boyhood favourite club instead. Even though it was a loan, I didn't expect him to be back here playing for us this year (and to be honest he was another of the ones I'd have wanted us to move on, and I'd have kept one of Clarke or Ostigard in the squad).
Still, he did a good job on Saturday - if GP thinks he can use him without compromising the way he wants us to play, good luck to him.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What do you mean "only two"? I'd be delighted if there are that many!
I mean that 2 is really the number of gaps in our ( admittedly gigantic ) squad that we should be looking to fill.

Any talk of central defenders, wingers, keepers etc. is I think slightly fanciful.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Got a man crush on Big Shane. He's not a Webbo, White or Dunky ball playing CB, but he's a blood and guts, lay it on the line, you don't get past me, kind of defender which has its place. BWs first game at the Arse could have done with a good slice of Shane in it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Got a man crush on Big Shane. He's not a Webbo, White or Dunky ball playing CB, but he's a blood and guts, lay it on the line, you don't get past me, kind of defender which has its place. BWs first game at the Arse could have done with a good slice of Shane in it.

Youre not wrong.

Could well be the Argument, that a blood and guts Duffy without slick ball playing skills in his Arsenal (sorry!) is still far more valuable to a PL club, than the slick ball player like White without the defensive or heading abilities.

Duffy is the sort of old school defender who would gladly leave the pitch in a coffin to keep his clean sheet.

a defender whose first priority is defending.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Youre not wrong.

Could well be the Argument, that a blood and guts Duffy without slick ball playing skills in his Arsenal (sorry!) is still far more valuable to a PL club, than the slick ball player like White without the defensive or heading abilities.

Duffy is the sort of old school defender who would gladly leave the pitch in a coffin to keep his clean sheet.

a defender whose first priority is defending.
200% this. Again looking at Ben's mistakes for Arse, you could see Duffers putting his head, boot or any other part of his anatomy in the way of the ball to stop the defenders getting to it.

My first watch of a Brentford game was on Friday and I thought if they play those long balls and we had DDW as CBs, they would scoop them up all day long.

Really hope GP has realised over the last year, there's are times when Duffers 'particular set of skills' is needed on the pitch.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Bet the guy who sold this for £1.54 is absolutely SCREWING.

Dunk-n-Duffy-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Football.jpg

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I have to say I didn't see a way back for Shane after his loan at Celtic. He's never going to progress the ball as well as Webster or pass as well as Dunk and I think the reason he was sidelined was the desire for tactical flexibility and White's progress. Despite all that, he's shown his qualities and I think it showed that in the centre of a 3 where the demands for playing out and ball progression are lower he was solid. I still think Potter will prefer Veltman over him but I think him in the squad makes us stronger.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm a bit of a sucker for a forgotten player making a glorious comeback story (not that it often happens) and while Duffy has never been one of my favourite players, he's earned my respect for making changes off the pitch to go again with us.

Hard not to warm to the guy after what seems to be a very honest interview and he'll certainly come in useful if he can get back to his best and maybe even adapt a little more to our style of play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here