Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driver's Twitter Boast About 'Hitting Cyclist'

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
pfft fu**ing cyclists getting the the way like normal.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
The problem is that cyclists soon forget about anybody else as they race around two, three or more abreast thinking they are going to be the next Bradley Wigins. Some are decent, but the vast majority should take a hard look at their behaviour.

The Government need to review laws about races on the public highway, if more are needed they should introduce them ASAP instead of worrying about "gay" marriages.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Everyone has anecdotal stories about other's dangerous/illegal road use. It doesn't actually matter, or add anything to the argument because it isn't cyclists/pedestrians/drivers/buses that are the problem but PEOPLE. I see dangerous road use by all groups on an almost daily basis, but they aren't idiots because of their choice of transport at that time, but because they're selfish individuals who don't care thether they cause a risk to anyone else. They don't care if they're in the wrong or not.

This. Speaking as a cyclist, I find the vast majority of drivers are absolutely fine, it is just the odd 1 or 2 that are idiots. The same can be said for cyclists. I try to treat the road the same way on my bike as I would if I was driving, i.e. stopping at red lights, zebra crossings etc. but there are always some who do not.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Some are decent, but the vast majority should take a hard look at their behaviour.

Swap those around and nobody will argue with you.

The problem is that cyclists soon forget about anybody else as they race around two, three or more abreast thinking they are going to be the next Bradley Wigins. Some are decent, but the vast majority should take a hard look at their behaviour.

The Government need to review laws about races on the public highway, if more are needed they should introduce them ASAP instead of worrying about "gay" marriages.
Brilliant ???

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Swap those around and nobody will argue with you.

I appreciate you are a cyclist and you love your cycling, but it simply isn't true to say the vast majority don't need to look at their behaviour. Living and working in London would open many people's eyes to this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Government need to review laws about races on the public highway, if more are needed they should introduce them ASAP .
Oh and racing is illegal on open roads in Britain.

I don't see how that law can be strengthened.

It's not as if racing can become more illegal.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada
How much damage can a bicycle actually cause to a car? If he hit you hard enough to dent the body work he was probably quite badly hurt.

I went plowing into the back of a taxi once (we were both equally at fault, I was prob riding too fast and he veered out in front of me). I managed to brake and turn and put my shoulder into the cab, I think I was subconciously trying to save my bike. I came out totally unharmed, his taxi came out with a humongous dent the shape of my shoulder, I split the bill with him, cost me £200!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The problem is that the roads are too busy and there is not room for lorries, cars, mortorbikes and cyclists to co exist safely. Cyclists are by far the most vulnerable and so need to be taken off the roads (and pavements) altogether. The only way to do this is a massive increase in cycle path networks. Whilst this may be expensive, I wonder how many hundreds, if not thousands, of miles of cycle paths you could build for the cost of one mile of motorway..........

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I appreciate you are a cyclist and you love your cycling, but it simply isn't true to say the vast majority don't need to look at their behaviour. Living and working in London would open many people's eyes to this.

Surely that would just 'open ones eyes' to the behaviour of cyclists in London?

Road manners are pretty different in the centre of London, to most of the country, and not just for cyclists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Ssshhhhhhh don't tell everybody, but the UK doesn't start and finish with London.

London has a particular set of cycling commuting issues that London should deal with.
NOBODY in their right mind would actively cycle fast in London, for fun.

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver, Canada

I'm sorry, but that is absolute rubbish. I cycle through the centre of London to work every day and I see very little in the way of incidents, the vast majority of cyclists in London are absolutely fine. I actually think one of the great menaces of the London roads are the Barclays bikes, a lot of the users are fine but some very rarely wear helmets (I personally think people should be legally obliged to wear helmets) and they have very little awareness of riding on the streets of London.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Just not true. I cycle into work every morning using a Barclays Bike and for a two-month period last year, I kept a mental log of every cyclist and whether they stopped at a red light or not. After two months, I totted the results up and something like 22 - 23% of cyclists failed to stop at red lights.

I appreciate it was a small sample and just one route but even if were out by 100%, it's clear that it's the "vast majority" of cyclists do not behave badly. This can easily be tested: look at the traffic lights by the Parliament Square - every morning there are anything from 12 to 25 cyclists waiting for the light to change. I started to do the same in Brighton but the sample was too small - results were higher though, about 35 to 40% of cyclists ignored the lights.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
The problem is that the roads are too busy and there is not room for lorries, cars, mortorbikes and cyclists to co exist safely. Cyclists are by far the most vulnerable and so need to be taken off the roads (and pavements) altogether. The only way to do this is a massive increase in cycle path networks. Whilst this may be expensive, I wonder how many hundreds, if not thousands, of miles of cycle paths you could build for the cost of one mile of motorway..........

There's already perfectly good lanes for cycling on - they're commonly called 'roads' and they're everywhere already. 1 mile of motorway would probably cost the same as about 10 miles of good, fit-for-purpose cycle network, and that's through the same open country as motorways. In cities it would cost significantly more per mile for good cycle paths than a mile of motorway costs in open land.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Everyone has anecdotal stories about other's dangerous/illegal road use. It doesn't actually matter, or add anything to the argument because it isn't cyclists/pedestrians/drivers/buses that are the problem but PEOPLE. I see dangerous road use by all groups on an almost daily basis, but they aren't idiots because of their choice of transport at that time, but because they're selfish individuals who don't care thether they cause a risk to anyone else. They don't care if they're in the wrong or not.

This. That said I drive into town each day via OSR over Dyke Road and down towards Preston Circus. The number of cyclists I see trying to squeeze between the brick pillars and large lorries under the viaduct amazes me. There's no way the driver can see them and they're inches from being crushed between the pillar and tonnes of metal. I do wonder if they actually care about their own safety.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here