Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinkwater in England squad

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I see Drinkwater is in the squad. When a girl sitting near me heard his name recently she kept laughing at it for about 20 minutes. On and on she went. For some reason thought it was hilarious!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I didn't expect anything; Woy is useless. It would be nice, however, if the England manager could overlook the fact that Zaha's side has been struggling when the player himself has been outstanding week in, week out.

As has always been the case, Wilf does his Fancy Dan stepovers (and fallovers) game after game and looks to have impressive speed of foot and tricky in abundance. But there is sod all end product.

2015/16: Goals: 2 / Assists: 1 (one)
2014/15: Goals: 4 / Assists: 2

You'd think he'd be setting up goals left, right and centre, but no - it just never happens. His delivery must be appalling.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
As has always been the case, Wilf does his Fancy Dan stepovers (and fallovers) game after game and looks to have impressive speed of foot and tricky in abundance. But there is sod all end product.

You'd think he'd be setting up goals left, right and centre, but no - it just never happens. His delivery must be appalling.

it is.... added to that... to get Bolasie ( also awful delivery ) and Wilf in the side it means they only play 1 up front therfore he has literally zero chance of his crosses finding a team mate...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

If he's so good then maybe he should move to a big club instead of being hampered in his international aspirations by playing for a relegation fodder, noddy team who are holding him back by being so shite?

Oh, hold on.....

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Don't think Defoe will be coming back. Hodgson has reduced the average age of the squad over the past couple of years to place more emphasis on youth, with the odd exception, so bringing Defoe back at the age of 33 would go against that continuity.
Completely agree with that, I never really thought he'd get a call up but as he's one of the top English scorers this season , and as we're off to a tournament in the summer, I did wonder if there'd be room for an experienced old poacher.
Squad looks good without Rooney in it.
Thought that too, also looks good without the spectre of Andy Carroll looming nearby like it has done for the last couple of years.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not sure Chris Smalling's mother would say he had had a "superb" season. He has certainly had a decent season and been one of United's better players on the whole, but his form has definitely taken a hit in recent weeks.

But if you look at where England were with centre backs 8-10 years ago, Smalling, Jagielka and Cahill fall some way short of the quality of that time, and bear in mind that even with those defenders England fell short of contending at the business end at major tournaments. John Stones seems to be seen as the "Great White Hope", but given that the team he plays for are 12th due mainly to their capacity for leaking goals like a sieve, I think that's hyperbole.

Yeah, his form recently hasn't been as good granted but 2 STHs I know(glory hunting wankers) told me Smalling has been very good when you consider he's not had a solid consistent partner all season & he's had to play a lot with Blind, who isn't a centre half and has been on the receiving end of some serious stick from United fans.

I agree though, if you compare to 8-10 years ago our defence is nothing compared to then if you think prime Ashley Cole/Terry/Ferdinand but didn't stop us bottling it every big occasion. Maybe some young 'unproven' blood in defence will be more successful?

Personally I think in the summer England just need to go with players who have real hunger and desire, may as well go and have a go rather than go out with a whimper like we normally do.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

One assist, all season? You've got to be kidding me :lol:

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Does everyone else think that Henderson is good enough/performing well enough to be considered a fixture in the squad?

It might be my own anti-Liverpool bias kicking in but he's one of those I feel would get selected even if he didn't seem to merit it (also, Lallana).

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Does everyone else think that Henderson is good enough/performing well enough to be considered a fixture in the squad?

It might be my own anti-Liverpool bias kicking in but he's one of those I feel would get selected even if he didn't seem to merit it (also, Lallana).

At least lallana has flair. And no it's not bias, I have felt the same.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
At least lallana has flair. And no it's not bias, I have felt the same.
He does, but like many of the average (for the PL anyway) flairistas in the world of football he only seems to be able to turn it on every now and again.

I'm not sure we have 'better' options but I'd rather see someone like Antonio at least get a crack in the friendlies, what's the worst that could happen?

Glad to hear someone else has the same feelings towards Henderson. He's obviously a good footballer but the praise I've seen/heard him receive seems to far outstrip both his displayed ability and achievements thus far.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
He does, but like many of the average (for the PL anyway) flairistas in the world of football he only seems to be able to turn it on every now and again.

I'm not sure we have 'better' options but I'd rather see someone like Antonio at least get a crack in the friendlies, what's the worst that could happen?

Glad to hear someone else has the same feelings towards Henderson. He's obviously a good footballer but the praise I've seen/heard him receive seems to far outstrip both his displayed ability and achievements thus far.

He's been very good in recent games, Lallana. City in the league and United in the Europa he ran the show.

I definitely feel Antonio deserves to be in the squad ahead of Walcott

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

He is very difficult to get the ball off and always beats his man, but he ALWAYS smashes the cross about 20 yards too far. He is the very definition of flair with no end product.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Listening to Roy doesn't feel me with confidence.

Sounds like he is already dropping Kane/Alli/Vardy for the summer.

If Alli isn't in the squad I just won't watch, he has been the outstanding England player this season taking everything into consideration

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
I didn't expect anything; Woy is useless. It would be nice, however, if the England manager could overlook the fact that Zaha's side has been struggling when the player himself has been outstanding week in, week out.

At his best I think he is good enough for England. But I don't believe he has been at his best, okay he has been our best player the last three months. Then again I would have been out best player if I had played and I'm shite.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Listening to Roy doesn't feel me with confidence.

Sounds like he is already dropping Kane/Alli/Vardy for the summer.

If Alli isn't in the squad I just won't watch, he has been the outstanding England player this season taking everything into consideration
More so than Vardy?

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
In my opinion yes - his age, it's his first season In the league, goals and assist and at times is running games.

Agree with this, but has a naughty streak.
Hope he can keep his composure in the Euro's

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here