Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Drinkwater in England squad

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The ones I've not heard of are highlighted. I make that 10.

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Of the others I've heard of that I'd be able to identify from a photo: Hart, Milner, Walcott. The others... I've certainly heard of them but that's it.

I'm surprised you are unaware of so many. Ross Barkley has played a few games for England already, and as has Clyne.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm surprised you are unaware of so many. Ross Barkley has played a few games for England already, and as has Clyne.

Perhaps I have heard of them. I certainly don't remember. I honestly couldn't ID any except Hart, Milner and Walcott in a line-up. That's a record low, even for me.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Good squad really, feel that a few others (Shawcross, Deeney, Defoe) were in the running for a call up but it's hard to argue with the list as it is.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Perhaps I have heard of them. I certainly don't remember. I honestly couldn't ID any except Hart, Milner and Walcott in a line-up. That's a record low, even for me.

You

Are

Getting

Old

You're the next Gen Version of Bens Grandad.

:)

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Presumably both Zaha and Bolasie have taken their options to play for Brazil instead.

Interested to hear how many of these [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] has never heard of. I'd not heard of Drinkwater, Bertrand, Rose nor Walker until now, and I couldn't have told you who Dier plays for.

That'll be the Yannick Bolasie who can't play for England on account of the fact that he currently plays for the DRC.

Zaha is unlucky to be snubbed. He has been fantastic this season and I'd much rather see him in the squad than Walcott.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
That'll be the Yannick Bolasie who can't play for England on account of the fact that he currently plays for the DRC.

Zaha is unlucky to be snubbed. He has been fantastic this season and I'd much rather see him in the squad than Walcott.

Oh come on, he has been in a team that hasn't managed to win a game in three months (premier league). What did you expect?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Oh come on, he has been in a team that hasn't managed to win a game in three months (premier league). What did you expect?

I didn't expect anything; Woy is useless. It would be nice, however, if the England manager could overlook the fact that Zaha's side has been struggling when the player himself has been outstanding week in, week out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Goalkeepers: Jack Butland (Stoke City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Joe Hart (Manchester City).

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Drinkwater (Leicester City), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City).

Forwards: Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

Of the others I've heard of that I'd be able to identify from a photo: Hart, Milner, Walcott. The others... I've certainly heard of them but that's it.

Dele Alli - he's the bloke that scored on his full England debut vs France from 25 yards, when we won 2-0. Arguably the most exciting players to emerge from this country since Rooney 13 years ago.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Dele Alli - he's the bloke that scored on his full England debut vs France from 25 yards, when we won 2-0. Arguably the most exciting players to emerge from this country since Rooney 13 years ago.

giphy.gif

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Good squad really, feel that a few others (Shawcross, Deeney, Defoe) were in the running for a call up but it's hard to argue with the list as it is.

Don't think Defoe will be coming back. Hodgson has reduced the average age of the squad over the past couple of years to place more emphasis on youth, with the odd exception, so bringing Defoe back at the age of 33 would go against that continuity.

I think Ryan Shawcross' 1 and only appearance for England was in the friendly against Sweden where Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored 4 goals, which possibly explains why he hasn't been called up again since. Still, not a vintage era for English centre backs, that's for sure.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

I would put him behind Ross Barkley but that's about it, even then it's only because Barkley has been around the top two divisions for longer.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

If he keeps up his improvement this season, Michail Antonio of West Ham is someone who could emerge as a contender on the right flank. Possibly still a bit raw at the moment. Not exactly bursting with options on the right flank at the moment which is why Walcott remains in the squad despite a very disappointing season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For the first time in a while the England squad has got me excited, can't argue with to many of the players in it except maybe Walcott and Cahill

Some flair in that lot

It's amazing how stuffing an International squad full of players from the club you support can raise your interest levels! :lolol:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
When have we had a worse pair of centre backs playing for England?

Rest of the squad looks promising.

Smalling has had a largely superb season, without him and De Gea Man united would be God knows where. Apart from him I agree though options look limited but I don't think say Cahill and Smalling is a bad central pairing

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Smalling has had a largely superb season, without him and De Gea Man united would be God knows where. Apart from him I agree though options look limited but I don't think say Cahill and Smalling is a bad central pairing

I'm not sure Chris Smalling's mother would say he had had a "superb" season. He has certainly had a decent season and been one of United's better players on the whole, but his form has definitely taken a hit in recent weeks.

But if you look at where England were with centre backs 8-10 years ago, Smalling, Jagielka and Cahill fall some way short of the quality of that time, and bear in mind that even with those defenders England fell short of contending at the business end at major tournaments. John Stones seems to be seen as the "Great White Hope", but given that the team he plays for are 12th due mainly to their capacity for leaking goals like a sieve, I think that's hyperbole.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I'm not sure Chris Smalling's mother would say he had had a "superb" season. He has certainly had a decent season and been one of United's better players on the whole, but his form has definitely taken a hit in recent weeks.

But if you look at where England were with centre backs 8-10 years ago, Smalling, Jagielka and Cahill fall some way short of the quality of that time, and bear in mind that even with those defenders England fell short of contending at the business end at major tournaments. John Stones seems to be seen as the "Great White Hope", but given that the team he plays for are 12th due mainly to their capacity for leaking goals like a sieve, I think that's hyperbole.

Stones will come good but he got way over-hyped earlier in the season after Chelsea started offering silly money for him. However I'd still go for Smalling and Stones as my pairing this summer.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

To me, Stones is like a better quality version of Dunk. When he's on his game he is amazing and looks regal, when it's not his day he's a bit of a liability. I like him and if he had a decent senior partner to play alongside (someone like John Terry...) I think he'd be an outstanding player. As it is he will play alongside senior dross like Cahill or Jagielka or next to Smalling, another young player who needs a senior partner.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool)
Well that's a bit weird Buzzer, you should pay more attention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here