Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downstairs neighbours' flat leaking quite seriously whilst they're on holiday. Help!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
We were thinking of renting our house out in Grimsby (4 beds) so we could rent a place (2 beds) within travelling distance of Brighton only to find it would cost us an extra £600 a month over and above what we could get in rent for our house.

welcome to my world
but I must say the letting agent and the landlady are both very good
Grimsby sounds a bit like Wales nobody want to go there and certainly won't give you a good rent.
we sold to a company who then sell on to rent but you have to be careful there are sharks out there,ours were pretty good but only work in Wales.

As for the original posters problem if you have made a hole in the ceiling to let out the water put something huge under it to catch the water this will not only save the floor but be useful to show the housing association if and when they turn up

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I've always assumed my flat is illegally sublet. Suits me though, as I pay way below market rate.

Are you serious ???
If so the good news is the council are going to find out when they come as assess the damage, so you won't have to worry about the damage as you will have to find somewhere to live.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Are you serious ???
If so the good news is the council are going to find out when they come as assess the damage, so you won't have to worry about the damage as you will have to find somewhere to live.

Why would they do that?

I'm only speculating it's sublet, I couldn't say for sure and everything I've done is by the book. I just get the impression that my rent is low because the flat should still be housing association, like the rest of the property. However, as has been pointed out above it could well be perfectly legal and above board after all as there's nothing to stop this sort of thing going on.

My rent is below market rate BUT my flat is pretty f***ing shit AND I have to share the building with a bunch of f***ing pikeys.

Anyway, just went down and changed the towels for fresh ones. It's absolutely minging down there

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So the woman is on benefits, and abroad on holiday? Is she available for work then?

There are lots of hard working people who can't afford holidays.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
So the woman is on benefits, and abroad on holiday? Is she available for work then?

Nope. She had been on unemployment benefit for so long that she switched her benefit to a different one meaning she didn't actually have to look for work. It involved going to a doctor and claiming she suffered from anxiety. No doubt all the f***ing all night COKE parties don't help that.

Beggars belief

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The Council will not be involved unless somebody tells them. The usual rule of thumb is not to get the Council involved.

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Bit of a long shot, but do you happen to know who she is on holiday with? I work for a holiday company - so could attempt to pass a message on to the resort team.

D

Deleted User X18H

So you can buy/obtain a property in a facility designed for social housing and rent it out privately ?

Doesn't that defeat the object of social housing.

It's simple really call the tenant now and the council/HA tomorrow.

Also advise her on her return, that you expect her to contact the DSS immediately, as obviously she is not seeking or available for work during this time and therefore they should suspend her claim.

Nope. She had been on unemployment benefit for so long that she switched her benefit to a different one meaning she didn't actually have to look for work. It involved going to a doctor and claiming she suffered from anxiety. No doubt all the f***ing all night COKE parties don't help that.

Beggars belief

The plot thickens.

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I always think that the best thing you can do when faced with a building maintenance problem (of any magnitude) is to repeatedly post messages on a football fans forum on the Internet. This will enable you to release the personal details about your neighbours prevailing financial situation and other habits, not forgetting your own rental arrangements.

If that doesn't stop the rain pissing into the flat downstairs nothing will.

D

Deleted User X18H

I always think that the best thing you can do when faced with a building maintenance problem (of any magnitude) is to repeatedly post messages on a football fans forum on the Internet. This will enable you to release the personal details about your neighbours prevailing financial situation and other habits, not forgetting your own rental arrangements.

I think you're right , that will probably be the advice in the tenants handbook

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

a bit unnecessary.

I was actually genuine unsure of what to do although perhaps I did overreact slightly. The rant about the situation was inevitable though. It really macks me off

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
a bit unnecessary.

I was actually genuine unsure of what to do although perhaps I did overreact slightly. The rant about the situation was inevitable though. It really macks me off

It's all out there now sunshine, let's hope she (or no one she knows who can put this all together) doesn't check this forum out...........given the way you feel about your neighbour I'm surprised you give a shit. You might feel better about it all if you word her out about her lifestyle and piss taking face to face rather than venting it all on here. Just a thought.

Benson

Jan 31, 2012
near water
Not sure if this has already been mentioned but have you turned her electricity off at the fuse box just in case?

Also, if your only access to help is through a premium rate number, I hope you are using her phone!

And, regarding her knickers draw . . .
:needpics:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here