Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We had so much style we were shown last on the Football League show, for 30 seconds every week last season.

Er I didn't say we were the most ENTERTAINING team did I? I said our STYLE was successful and unique, not STYLISH. And to be honest, there were less entertaining teams than us. You can start with Hull, Sheffield Weds, Millwall and Barnsley.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Had us playing some of the best football I'd seen in all my 46 years of watching Albion. There were games when we just outclassed the opposition who only seemed to gain possession at kick offs! Who can ever forget those back to back away games at Charlton & Peterborough?

Yep, it all ended in tears. Managers seem to have a club shelf life of 2-3 years anyway, but what a ride.

Agree with this, like the OP suggested a love in for him and that is how I felt and as we all know one person is no bigger than the club.

Poyet handled himself poorly in the end, he did wind me up with the constant "come get me" quotes in the papers or "i'll just go and play golf" comments, which let him down... but he is on a mission and will end up with his dream job in a few years time all-be-it Chelsea or Tottenham.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
The only problem that I had with Poyet was his inability to change games.

We rarely came from behind to win a game under Poyet, in fact only once in our time at The Amex and that was the very first game. This in my opinion was a sign of tactical ineptitude.

I wish him all the best though, we wouldn't be where we are now without him.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Gus was, is and always will be passionate about only one thing - himself. I don't think he gave a toss about losing to Palace that night. He'd already got his eye on bigger and better things. His post-match comments were a big clue as to where his thoughts lay.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting he cared any more that we'd lost to Palace over anyone else, but why would he? He's from Uruguay, it must mean nothing to him. But he was clearly gutted that his team had just missed out on promotion to the Premier League. Apart from anything else, his own stock was damaged.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Hello all, as you may have gleened from my username I'm a Sunderland fan.

Throughout the transfer window I've been lurking on this forum, mainly due to our pursuit of Bridcutt and seeing if there was any info that you lot had that our fans didn't etc.

Anyway, I've noticed quite a large amount of negativity towards Poyet on here, which is quite surprising to an outsider looking in considering what he achieved here. As you may have guessed our fans are in love with him at the moment, for the first time in a long time it looks like we have a manager who actually has a clear plan and an inkling of what he is actually doing. We are firmly on the 'gus bus' right now :smile:

Basically, I'd just love to here some opinions from you lot on Poyet, and why a section of you are critical of him? We have had a few Brighton fans on our forum, but the majority of them were rather, erm, 'short fused' to put it kindly and didn't take well to our pursuit of Bridcutt (who by the way looks a cracking player).

I'd appreciate any feedback really, specifically any downsides to Gus, maybe what to expect in the future, and why his tenure here has become tainted?

Cheers.

I have to say that I find it difficult to believe that any true fan would go searching for the 'dirt' on someone who is not only the new manager of their club but has also performed remarkably well in the short time he has been there.

I'd say exactly the same about anyone who went digging for dirt on our manager - there is a world of difference between criticism, negative or positive, based on an opinion of how he is currently performing and actively looking for something to criticise him about - the latter is not the action of a true fan and I'd go so far as to say it stinks!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
The man has a terrible and debilitating phobia of clackers, from which he has never recovered.

We got some out one day and he went absolutely mental and stormed off. Avoid clackers, would be my best piece of advice to any Sunderland fans.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
He's like the most gorgeous girl in the nightclub. You dance with her, buy her a few drinks and become intimate over a period of time. She's gorgeous and knows it. She starts flirting with other boys and shows a bit too much cleavage for your jealous mind to handle. Pretty soon she becomes more and more irritated with your advances and gets annoyed you want a quiet wedding and not the big expensive ceremony she has planned. Eventually she'll leave you for another boy after a bitter and public spat. Make sure you get the door keys back, otherwise she'll sneak back in and take the dog.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
If one looks at his time with Brighton and certainly latterly the results seemed to go in sequences, a good run followed by a bad run. This may not be uncommon but whilst things are going well for you now, they could well change.

he's like the most gorgeous girl in the nightclub. You dance with her, buy her a few drinks and become intimate over a period of time. She's gorgeous and knows it. She starts flirting with other boys and shows a bit too much cleavage for your jealous mind to handle. Pretty soon she becomes more and more irritated with your advances and gets annoyed you want a quiet wedding and not the big expensive ceremony she has planned. Eventually she'll leave you for another boy after a bitter and public spat. Make sure you get the door keys back, otherwise she'll sneak back in and take the dog.

100% this!:bowdown:

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
He's like the most gorgeous girl in the nightclub. You dance with her, buy her a few drinks and become intimate over a period of time. She's gorgeous and knows it. She starts flirting with other boys and shows a bit too much cleavage for your jealous mind to handle. Pretty soon she becomes more and more irritated with your advances and gets annoyed you want a quiet wedding and not the big expensive ceremony she has planned. Eventually she'll leave you for another boy after a bitter and public spat. Make sure you get the door keys back, otherwise she'll sneak back in and take the dog.

Excellent !!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Most guys would then decide that this wasn't the girl for them in the long term and be sad and angry with the way it ended. Then there would be others who would continue to go all starry eyed and defensive when her name is mentioned and spend the next 6 months reminiscing about the great times they had together and finding fault with their new girlfriend at every opportunity.

Most guys would then decide that this wasn't the girl for them and be sad and angry with the way it ended, but then there are others who continue to go all starry eyed and defensive when her name is mentioned and spend the next 6 months reminiscing about the great times they had together and finding fault with their new girlfriend at every opportunity.

And a few others would have sussed she was a high maintenance tart early on and not spent time getting shafted by the bitch!:blush: I TOLD YOU SHE WAS A WRONG'EN!:cheery:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The man is genius and is destined to be a Champions League manager one day.

What some people on here didn't like was he had ambitions above Brighton and very honestyly said so. In short they didn't like his honesty. He always said from day one that he wanted to manage at the top level. He tried to do that with Brighton but in the end when he wanted a bigger budget to achieve that the season after the play offs he was told it was staying the same or going backwards. That's why he left fundamentally.

If he is given the right backing he will go far.

He is a very honest man, says things he believes whether people like that or not. I respect that and I respect his abilities. He will do well for you, then he will leave to a bigger club. But that's what we all want to do in our careers isn't it, progress as people, as human beings. That doesn't make him a bad man, it actually makes him a great man.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The man is genius and is destined to be a Champions League manager one day.

No he's not. He's good but he's not that good - well, in his own mind he is but he's got no Plan B and can be incredibly predictable and often shows poor judgement in substitutions.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
All this reminds me of Leon Knight. Thread after thread with the same people spouting the same bollox. Some saying we should let him treat us like a doormat, others saying we had to stand up for ourselves at some point. I’m surprised no-ones posted ‘Gus Poyet, He’s Alright :tosser:' yet

Time will tell but I’d be surprised if he stays in management at a club for over the length of time he spent here. Just like Knight never stayed anywhere long after he left here. One party or the other will have had enough of each other in 2-3 years becuase Gus will be more ambitious than the club or the club will have had enough that nothing is ever his fault.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports