Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Totally agree I believe it was Poyet's decision not to keep him despite others in the club very keen to keep Murray

Yes, one of Gus' biggest mistakes. However, ALL managers make similar mistakes, even the best ones.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
So taking a team from the relegation zone in League 1 to 4th in the Championship whilst selling 3 or 4 players was a downfall? Ok.
Hopefully then Oscar selling Bridcutt, Barnes & El-Abd will mean massive success this season by your logic.

IMO.....means In My Opinion.

I don't mind if you don't like it, that's your entitled opinion too.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I doubt these were he's words. More that Poyet thought he could bring in better than what was already there. The Poyet project replaced Bennett with Buckley and Murray with CMS, neither are better. Considering Southampton came 2nd to us that season but kept there main players and then went on to win the Championship shows the benefit of holding a team together. The zamora years were pretty much the same team through 3 different divisions and again very successful.
You mentioned earlier Ferguson being a great manager because he could get the best out of his players. Also recognise how well he kept his teams together. Ferguson didn't like dismantling his team. He stuck with players who were there before him, he brought through the youngsters and he always replaced his players with even better ones (Beckham then Ronaldo). Poyet on the other hand didn't give the youth a chance in hell, he didn't replace good players with better ones and he certainly didn't keep hold of a title winning team. No comparison.

IMO this is pretty much spot on.
Funny how we all see things so differently. Bennett wanted to leave, it wasn't Poyet's choice. And we got more for him than we paid for Buckley, no one expected Buckley to be as good. We did amazingly to win League 1 so well against Southampton's squad, but they were better placed to succeed in the Championship. During our first Championship season, general opinion was that he held onto some League 1 players too long - he justified it saying that they deserved the chance, having done so well the year before. Keeping Zamora (who proved good enough for the premiership) is hardly an example of keeping a team together - he was one player. Ferguson was very impressive with his youngsters, definitely.

In fact casting my mind back through English footy history building your team and keeping it together is the most important issue. Look back to when Arsenal, Leeds and Liverpool took turns to be top dog for a few years. Every game week after week same players, same positions. Only when single players moved on or retired were they replaced and not very often. Only Graham Souness kicked the buck when he took over at Liverpool by selling half the team and buying his favs. That was the downfall of them.... and him.
If you win the top league, you don't need to change much do you. Win a lower league and you move up to tougher competition. We still tried our squad in the Championship though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here