Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So Poyet is an Albion Legend for winning the League One . How many other managers have done for the Albion? he is not a legend and stands nowhere near true Legends such as Peter Ward and Bobby Smith. Words like awesome will be used shortly I'm sure but I can assure you as time passes his name will fade. if Oscar gets us up or even to the final of the play offs will he be more than a legend? Poyet is being found out in the prem and his style of play is costing Sunderland points.

There's nothing to say that Oscar won't be a legend one day. That doesn't have to diminish Poyet's achievement at Brighton which went beyond getting promotion from League One. You have to bear in mind where the club was when he took over and the style of football he instigated, which in my 30 years of watching the Albion was the most thrilling I've ever seen during the promotion season. That said, I still believe Sunderland could well get relegated because I personally think that system of football has its limits. It's successful, but reaches a plateau depending on the talent of the players. From there, the only way to improve is to buy better players as Gus used to say himself. A more flexible manager would change the system to get more from the resources he has available. So, in short, it's fine if you're Barcelona but there has to be a question mark about how far it will take anyone else.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
They're now 1 point above the relegation zone and the next two games are Man city away Arsenal Away, the honeymoon is over see you next year Gus & Liam

You can't look at who Sunderland have to play in isolation - prediction would be easy if you could!

Next 3 games and Fulham have Liverpool and Chelsea away, West Brom have Chelsea and Man U away, West Ham have to face Southampton and Everton, Palace - Everton and Man U - Stoke Man City and Arsenal.

The really important matches for the 10 teams at risk of relegation are where they play each other.

Aug 23, 2011
You can't look at who Sunderland have to play in isolation - prediction would be easy if you could!

Next 3 games and Fulham have Liverpool and Chelsea away, West Brom have Chelsea and Man U away, West Ham have to face Southampton and Everton, Palace - Everton and Man U - Stoke Man City and Arsenal.

The really important matches for the 10 teams at risk of relegation are where they play each other.

Tut tut, bringing logic to a place where knee jerk reactions are key, you should know better :)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Erm. I think you'll struggle to find a Sunderland fan to agree with you there. Like him or loathe him he's completely turned them around. They were dead and buried when he took over and since then they've done the double over their deadly rivals, beaten Man Utd, Everton, Chelsea and Man City, got to a cup final and are out of the relegation zone.

But apart from all that, you're right, he's been found out.

Yep they beat a weak Man U without Rooney or Van Percie and D Gea gave the final to them. Shampton & Man C made the mistake in the Cup of under estimating Gus by putting the kids out against him.

They beat a 10 man Everton & Stoke 1-0 but Sunderland looked like they were a man down and were lucky to win, and in both games they were on the back foot.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep they beat a weak Man U without Rooney or Van Percie and D Gea gave the final to them. Shampton & Man C made the mistake in the Cup of under estimating Gus by putting the kids out against him.

They beat a 10 man Everton & Stoke 1-0 but Sunderland looked like they were a man down and were lucky to win, and in both games they were on the back foot.

Always makes me smile when people suggest a team are doing well because of weaknesses in the opponents team or luck. No sh1t - that's football. Regardless of whether we're talking about Gus or not, a manager and team can only beat the team put in front of them. If they beat that team then it means three points or a continued place in the cup regardless. There's no review at the end of a season or a cup that says "well they beat a weakened team there so reduce the reward to 2 points".

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
There's nothing to say that Oscar won't be a legend one day. That doesn't have to diminish Poyet's achievement at Brighton which went beyond getting promotion from League One. You have to bear in mind where the club was when he took over and the style of football he instigated, which in my 30 years of watching the Albion was the most thrilling I've ever seen during the promotion season. That said, I still believe Sunderland could well get relegated because I personally think that system of football has its limits. It's successful, but reaches a plateau depending on the talent of the players. From there, the only way to improve is to buy better players as Gus used to say himself. A more flexible manager would change the system to get more from the resources he has available. So, in short, it's fine if you're Barcelona but there has to be a question mark about how far it will take anyone else.

His achievement is not diminished in getting us up from division 1, but walking out on your team when your down to 9 men at home is not legendary, neither is sitting impassive on the bench in the final days of last season, both showed no professionalism which so doesn't warrant legendary status. In gettin us up from the first division he must be up there in legendary terms with Pat Saward and Micky Adams. Sorry but Poyet is not legend and has for most been forgotten already.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Erm. I think you'll struggle to find a Sunderland fan to agree with you there. Like him or loathe him he's completely turned them around. They were dead and buried when he took over and since then they've done the double over their deadly rivals, beaten Man Utd, Everton, Chelsea and Man City, got to a cup final and are out of the relegation zone.

But apart from all that, you're right, he's been found out.

Better ask Wes Brown about that one, trying to cover for a mistake in the passing game against Hull, the same mistake that was made against Aston Villa. Thats 6 home points lost to teams they would be looking to beat, lets ask the Sunderland fans in 10 games time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Better ask Wes Brown about that one, trying to cover for a mistake in the passing game against Hull, the same mistake that was made against Aston Villa. Thats 6 home points lost to teams they would be looking to beat, lets ask the Sunderland fans in 10 games time.
So you're allowed to say "Poyet is being found out in the prem" as of right now, but nobody else is?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Poyet was a very good tactician but he did actually inherite a very good team from Russell Slade (Orient Manager) when he joined the Albion. We had players like Glenn Murray, Elliott Bennett, El-Abd, Crofts, Forster, Dicker etc but we were really under performing untill Poyet came in. Yes he got us promoted the following season but he didn't really improved the team much from there Infact he made the team worse by the time we started the championship. Glenn Murray went on a free to Palace to free up wages. We then signed Hoskins for about 500k and CMS for 2.5 million, neither came close to replacing Murray who went on to be Palace top goalscorere last season. He sold a very consistent Elliott Bennett for peanuts who's assists have never been replaced and brought in Will Buckley instead who has 1 good game in every 5.
Good manager when it comes to getting the best out of certain players but useless when it comes to holding a team together.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
On reflection, there are NO downsides to Poyet. He is IMMACULATE.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Sunderland are out of the relegation zone since Gus took over.

They are in a cup final

They recently beat Man City and UTD.

Yes you are right and Gus is being found out and costing them points.
Honeymoon,.......... review it in April/May, then we will see what he is made of. I suspect however, that he will still be bleating about bigger budgets, and Chelsea/Spurs ( and even Leeds)..... he cant change, its all about him, and he has no plan B.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
His achievement is not diminished in getting us up from division 1, but walking out on your team when your down to 9 men at home is not legendary, neither is sitting impassive on the bench in the final days of last season, both showed no professionalism which so doesn't warrant legendary status. In gettin us up from the first division he must be up there in legendary terms with Pat Saward and Micky Adams. Sorry but Poyet is not legend and has for most been forgotten already.

He sure has - you've only got to look on NSC to see that - barely a thread about him compared to OG :facepalm:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Poyet was a very good tactician but he did actually inherite a very good team from Russell Slade (Orient Manager) when he joined the Albion. We had players like Glenn Murray, Elliott Bennett, El-Abd, Crofts, Forster, Dicker etc but we were really under performing untill Poyet came in. Yes he got us promoted the following season but he didn't really improved the team much from there Infact he made the team worse by the time we started the championship. Glenn Murray went on a free to Palace to free up wages. We then signed Hoskins for about 500k and CMS for 2.5 million, neither came close to replacing Murray who went on to be Palace top goalscorere last season. He sold a very consistent Elliott Bennett for peanuts who's assists have never been replaced and brought in Will Buckley instead who has 1 good game in every 5.
Good manager when it comes to getting the best out of certain players but useless when it comes to holding a team together.

I've never really looked at it like that but it's a very good point you make. Although I don't think the difference in CMS and Murray is massive, it's just the way Gus set out his team didn't suit CMS. Hopefully OG will not make the same mistake.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I've never really looked at it like that but it's a very good point you make. Although I don't think the difference in CMS and Murray is massive, it's just the way Gus set out his team didn't suit CMS. Hopefully OG will not make the same mistake.

Selling Murray would have been like Shampton selling Lambert when they got promoted from League One, and his intentions were to build the team around CMS so Gus should have thought about whether he suited the way he wanted us to play.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Selling Murray would have been like Shampton selling Lambert when they got promoted from League One, and his intentions were to build the team around CMS so Gus should have thought about whether he suited the way he wanted us to play.

Agreed, Gus screwed up here. I think CMS will be a very very good player under Oscar assuming he can fully recover from this injury.

Aug 23, 2011

YEs i agree he had a good team however you could argue that getting them play well is the key part of management. Look at Moyes vs Ferguson as an example (although i don't think moyes inherited a great team)

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea

We did not sell Murray his contract was up

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Elliott Bennett's price was nothing to do with him. Ken Brown was the managing director with Derek Chapman responsible for contracts and sales.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Elliott Bennett's price was nothing to do with him. Ken Brown was the managing director with Derek Chapman responsible for contracts and sales.

Poyet would still of had a massive say on who deserves a contract.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here