Downsides to Poyet? - Sunderland fan here

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
No I haven't, I don't know what happened so how could I pick sides?

I just take it for what it is, we've lost a phenomenal manager & Albion legend in Gus Poyet. Perhaps the club could have done more to keep him, or perhaps Gus did something that gave the club no choice but to let him go - I don't know, because like I said, I don't know what happened.

Legend, hmmmm, there are only a select few who can truly be described as an Albion Legend. Not Poyet my friend, Peter Ward, yes, Brian Horton yes, but not Poyet, that's just too much.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
A complete one off.
I hate him and like him in almost equal measures------------but:
He seemed to realise we were not going to be as good this year with FFP which is proving true.
Then he jumped ship so feck him and his EGO:shutup:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Semantics. He asked to leave at the end of the season and said he would leave earlier if Bloom wanted him to.

When someone wants to leave your job you have to go through a formal process. Gus could have offered his resignation and we could have accepted it or declined. If the club agreed to it there would be no compensation either way, or if he straight out resigned he would have had to buy out his contract.

Resigning and offering a resignation are two different things but Gus did neither.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Semantics. He asked to leave at the end of the season and said he would leave earlier if Bloom wanted him to.

It's not semantics and you are wrong. He SAID he would leave at the end of the season, no matter what and he asked if he could leave there and then if Bloom would allow it (3 days before we were due to play Palace). There is a world of difference between asking to leave and saying you will go at the end of the season.

I love how you continually twist things so that Poyet comes out in the most favourable light and insinuate/imply/hint that the club have been sneaky/underhand, no matter what. Some people would grow weary but for you it's 24/7.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I think he comes across as a passionate man who's devastated that he's just lost the biggest a game of his managerial career

Gus was, is and always will be passionate about only one thing - himself. I don't think he gave a toss about losing to Palace that night. He'd already got his eye on bigger and better things. His post-match comments were a big clue as to where his thoughts lay.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I am amazed with some of the criticism of poyet.He transformed our club from top to bottom he set the standards that the club still believe in.

It is true that he had a high opinion of himself but having played at the highest level & coming to manage a team that were fighting relegation in the third tier of English football why wouldn't you have.

As for him touting himself for every job that becomes available, maybe he did but you can only put yourself in the frame if you are good at your job.

How many of us would not want a better higher paid job if we could get one.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's not semantics and you are wrong. He SAID he would leave at the end of the season, no matter what and he asked if he could leave there and then if Bloom would allow it (3 days before we were due to play Palace). There is a world of difference between asking to leave and saying you will go at the end of the season.

I love how you continually twist things so that Poyet comes out in the most favourable light and insinuate/imply/hint that the club have been sneaky/underhand, no matter what. Some people would grow weary but for you it's 24/7.

How does saving the club money by not having to pay compensation become sneaky or underhand?

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I am amazed with some of the criticism of poyet.He transformed our club from top to bottom he set the standards that the club still believe in.

It is true that he had a high opinion of himself but having played at the highest level & coming to manage a team that were fighting relegation in the third tier of English football why wouldn't you have.

As for him touting himself for every job that becomes available, maybe he did but you can only put yourself in the frame if you are good at your job.

So---your point is?
He ditched us at the end of the day so you are obviously OK with that.
No CLASS IMO:moo:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
How does saving the club money by not having to pay compensation become sneaky or underhand?

Your opening gambit was that it was "handy" for the club to "use' employment law to sack him and not pay compensation. Given your previous unequivocal support for all things Gus and your tendency to view with contempt anything that comes from Barber's lips, I think there was a heavy does of sarcasm in your post.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Your opening gambit was that it was "handy" for the club to "use' employment law to sack him and not pay compensation. Given your previous unequivocal support for all things Gus and your tendency to view with contempt anything that comes from Barber's lips, I think there was a heavy does of sarcasm in your post.

I'm not a sarcastic person. I don't even do irony very well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

How does touting himself for a move give the club confidence in trusting him with millions signing new players. How do we sell ourselves to new players with a manager who wants to go? or if Gus is doing the negotiations he has got to assure his commitment to the club before the new player will.

He can't say he really wants them here in one breath and tell them he maybe off in the next. Ulloa only signed a few months earlier and Gus let him down big time.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He wasn't really very good at buying players, especially forwards. This is probably why we have a head coach now.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Hello all, as you may have gleened from my username I'm a Sunderland fan.

Throughout the transfer window I've been lurking on this forum, mainly due to our pursuit of Bridcutt and seeing if there was any info that you lot had that our fans didn't etc.

Anyway, I've noticed quite a large amount of negativity towards Poyet on here, which is quite surprising to an outsider looking in considering what he achieved here. As you may have guessed our fans are in love with him at the moment, for the first time in a long time it looks like we have a manager who actually has a clear plan and an inkling of what he is actually doing. We are firmly on the 'gus bus' right now :smile:

Basically, I'd just love to here some opinions from you lot on Poyet, and why a section of you are critical of him? We have had a few Brighton fans on our forum, but the majority of them were rather, erm, 'short fused' to put it kindly and didn't take well to our pursuit of Bridcutt (who by the way looks a cracking player).

I'd appreciate any feedback really, specifically any downsides to Gus, maybe what to expect in the future, and why his tenure here has become tainted?

Cheers.
Acrimonious departure
As other s. have no doubt said already
Sorry can't be reading through it all to check

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
His astute signings easily outnumbered the dogs (Paynter and Harley were undeniably poor) and his greatest strength lies in his ability to execute a match-winning plan. He will never follow the herd, he's his own man with his own ideas. And these ideas were very successful at Brighton. Opposition managers often remarked about 'the Brighton style of play' because it was unique in the championship and before that, League 1. Yes there was the odd blip (Bristol City and Barnsley away were pretty awful last season) but at times we looked the best team in the division. After only two seasons, this was an achievement in itself. On the flip side, Poyet's personality is grating, pompous and yes there are many doubts over his loyalty and integrity. I never liked him as a personality, but I did like the results he brought to the club.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
His astute signings easily outnumbered the dogs (Paynter and Harley were undeniably poor) and his greatest strength lies in his ability to execute a match-winning plan. He will never follow the herd, he's his own man with his own ideas. And these ideas were very successful at Brighton. Opposition managers often remarked about 'the Brighton style of play' because it was unique in the championship and before that, League 1. Yes there was the odd blip (Bristol City and Barnsley away were pretty awful last season) but at times we looked the best team in the division. After only two seasons, this was an achievement in itself. On the flip side, Poyet's personality is grating, pompous and yes there are many doubts over his loyalty and integrity. I never liked him as a personality, but I did like the results he brought to the club.

We had so much style we were shown last on the Football League show, for 30 seconds every week last season.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Had us playing some of the best football I'd seen in all my 46 years of watching Albion. There were games when we just outclassed the opposition who only seemed to gain possession at kick offs! Who can ever forget those back to back away games at Charlton & Peterborough?

Yep, it all ended in tears. Managers seem to have a club shelf life of 2-3 years anyway, but what a ride.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports