Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Double Headers.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Would I be expected to pay for this extra game that I'm not remotely interested in ?
No, the extra game would be funded by the extra take on the conccessions. I for one always arrive a couple of hours early for the match. It would be fab to have some footie to watch while I wait for the main evant.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, the extra game would be funded by the extra take on the conccessions. I for one always arrive a couple of hours early for the match. It would be fab to have some footie to watch while I wait for the main evant.
The last thing I'd want to do is to spend 5-6 hours at the Amex getting bummed 6 ways from Sunday for lukewarm burgers, flat beer and mediocre pies all at premium prices, just to take in an extra game that is no better than National League South level. There are dozens of other things I can find to do with my time and money on a matchday.

But if almost a whole day spent at the Amex floats your boat then go for it. I think you'll have plenty of room.

theboybilly

Spurs did it involving our fixture at their place last season. I think it's a great idea, keeps people engaged. For the many early kick offs we have coming on Sundays this season I think it would be a great idea to have the women's match follow the men's. I think it would need to be men's match first in order to get everyone in, but women first would really help solve some of the travel problems as well because there would be a longer lead team. I think they'd rather men first then women though, it would ease the pressure on the travel network because a good 10-20k fans would stay on for the women's match.
No way would 20k stay for two games. Can you see all those people on coaches wanting Double Headers? Absolute madness to consider it at the Amex. Tottenham worked for it's novelty value but transport links there are, for a London team, not that brilliant. Quite why they shut Tott.High Road to buses I'll never understand. People at the Amex want to get there see the match and go home, some can't even manage that

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
The last thing I'd want to do is to spend 5-6 hours at the Amex getting bummed 6 ways from Sunday for lukewarm burgers, flat beer and mediocre pies all at premium prices, just to take in an extra game that is no better than National League South level. There are dozens of other things I can find to do with my time and money on a matchday.

But if almost a whole day spent at the Amex floats your boat then go for it. I think you'll have plenty of room.
National league South? It would be the WSL, not Crystal Palace.
You should probably be less angry and dismissive about women's soccer. 1) it makes you sound like you are operating on data from decades ago and have not kept up and 2) if you don't like it don't talk about it. Don't ruin everyone else's fun.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Just imagine if they took the conccessions away from Sodex (or whatever they call themselves) and employed their own staff. The caterers don't do it for love. There must be a healty profit in it for them.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
You should probably be less angry and dismissive about women's soccer. 1) it makes you sound like you are operating on data from decades ago and have not kept up and 2) if you don't like it don't talk about it. Don't ruin everyone else's fun.

It’s nowhere near national league south level. It’s more like county level Mens. Lewes FC under 18’s played Chelsea women in a pre season friendly 3 years ago. Lewes won 5-0.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
If it was a free extra game, and ours was the lunchtime KO, don't see why not. Can't see how it would work if they wanted to charge extra for it, or how many would be in if it was first. As they can't kick people out to let others back in etc... But I'd be up for it. Saw our women away at Reading last season, was quite a fun and non stressful afternoon tbf. I reckon more STs would stick around to watch than we think, especially if we won the men's game first.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I watch both, but I'm more concerned about the playing surface being turfed up though.
Womens football is still entry level for the younger fans. It gets them accustomed to larger crowds....it's a shame they can't take over the theatre of trees until a permanent home is found

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
I watch both, but I'm more concerned about the playing surface being turfed up though.
Womens football is still entry level for the younger fans. It gets them accustomed to larger crowds....it's a shame they can't take over the theatre of trees until a permanent home is found
I seem to remember them having an international rugby match on the pitch mid season about 6/7 years ago. That seemed to work out ok.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It would make more sense to have the ladies on second. May slightly reduce the queue for the trains. Would also be a healthy reminder for them as to why they can't have equal pay as we all stream out...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The WSL, from what I've seen of it, is comfortably of a level below EFL L2 standard.

Anyway, I don't feel angry about it at all - I'm just not interested in it. Its almost a different sport to the mens version. Which is fine, I get that some fans enjoy watching it, and its a good way for kids to get into it and encourage them to take part. I even watch the Lionesses now and then, when there's nothing else on. But there's absolutely no way I would feel like wasting part of my weekend turning up early or leaving late at the Amex for a WSL game.

Just doesn't do it for me, and logistically I can't see double-headers being very practical.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I seem to remember them having an international rugby match on the pitch mid season about 6/7 years ago. That seemed to work out ok.
That wasn't within about half an hour of our game kicking off though was it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here