Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Don’t know what people are complaining about, we were good today.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I'm not complaining. Thought we played well. Yes 1st goal was a mistake and Maupay had an off night but otherwise I took a lot of positives from it. Another couple of additions before Oct 5th and we'll be fine. A win at Newcastle and last night will be but a distant memory.

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
Think you watched a different game to me! They won because of a deflected goal and a defensive error leading to a penalty. Had Maupay headed the ball rather than hit his shoulder and had Dunk taken his chance then it could have been a different story.

Spot on. And not a great viewing experience from sky sports, With biased commentary towards Chelsea.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Deserved a point I thought. Created more, won more second balls and we had the best player on the pitch.. Well Lamptey and Kante were both very good...

A pen / a worldie / a fluke - we didn’t get opened up at all.

Keep the faith - positive signs

Stopped at this post. Nailed it [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION]

Thompson720

Jan 5, 2019
Patcham
The team I felt were great, fizzled out towards the end because that 3rd goal was a kicker. Lamptey was unbelievable as usual, Alzate played so well, especially after gifting Chelsea a goal. Usually down in the dumps after a loss, but feeling quite positive after last night.

I think the issues are clear, we need a tall striker, and also the LWB in the Lamptey mould. I don't think our business is done in the window just yet. (Hopefully)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shocking on the road? We haven’t lost away since Boxing Day!

Taken 7 points from our last 3 away games.

And the rest of your post is shit as well.

Laughed out loud at that. No need to take people off ignore, out of curiosity, when others post replies like that :lolol: :bowdown:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Several times actually. Straight off the top of my head when Maupay was given a nice ball by Lallana and he used some close to try and get around about three players and then harried them to win it back. Another for Conolly when he got a good shot off but it was blocked.
But yeah, you keep your agenda up and hear and see what you want to :facepalm: How about you keep your negative views and agenda away from here and let us enjoy a good performance.

I can’t be bothered to challenge your comments but let me ask you a question. What area of the pitch do you think we need to strengthen? And is it just one player in that area?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think the game is a perfect glass half full/half empty test.

If you're a half full type of person you'll point to how well we played for large parts of the game. How slick we looked, how we had more possession(and not just aimless passing between the centre halves but progressive and attacking possession), more shots, more corners. They'll point out that if we play like that all season we'll be fine and finish comfortably above the relegation zone.

If you're half empty you'll point out that nothing's really changed from last year. Nice football let down by silly mistakes costing soft goals and an inability to take chances. They'll point out that if you ship soft goals and don't score many yourselves then you're going to be in for a long, hard season.

It's the start of the season so I'm currently in the glass half full camp. We played well just let down by a silly mistake, a deflection and a missed sitter. It's down to us how we do this year which is a much better position to be in than relying on there being three worse teams.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Chelsea did not look up for this at all, they did not gel or play for prolonged periods as a team, yet they still beat us easily in the end, they just ramped it up slightly, got the goals and went back to sleep....

Don’t Let’s kid ourselves that we were close, it was relatively easy for them.

Other than needing to be more clinical up front which we all know, we were NEVER second best last night.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Other than needing to be more clinical up front which we all know, we were NEVER second best last night.

Opinions, although we clearly were, otherwise we would not have lost 3-1.

Chelsea only got into 2nd gear about three times, the rest of the time they were cruising without breaking a sweat.
Our attacking threat was pretty blunt, despite one or two tempting crosses that should have been attacked with more vigour.

Sometimes I take off my rose tinted spectacles, we were second best.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
But those ' little drops in concentration ' are very familiar. We keep doing it over and over again in our last third. Playing out from the back requires accuracy and concentration and we keep letting ourselves down. The better sides have worked us out now. Just press high, close each man down and wait for the mistake. Bingo. Goal. Potter has decided to play the same way against everybody so when we play the top sides, we all know what is going to happen.
30/06.....Man U ( H )......0-3
08/07.....Livpool ( H ).....1-3
11/07.....Man C ( H )......0-5
14/09.....Chelsea ( H )...1-3
All four performances full of basic mistakes playing out from the back, particularly when Ryan plays it straight forward 20-25yards to someone facing their own goal ( which he does regularly ) These players know they can't afford a second touch, so the inclination is to play it off hurriedly, aware of the presence around them. Under pressure, mistakes are made and in those areas it usually results in trouble. Opponents know we play it forward short and wait for it.
I respect Potter for what he is trying to do but surely he has to consider some mixing and matching in style. Last night wasn't a one-off. We could have got something from both the Liverpool and Chelsea games had we not committed suicide 30 yards from our own goal. If we don't try and change, at least against the top sides, then we will continue to shed points to them like autumn leaves. We all want to see us progress and that means pulling off the odd surprise result and that can only be achieved by limiting mistakes at the back. United will come to the Amex next, press high and wait for the mistakes. Why don't we try and ruffle their feathers a bit and just be a little less predictable.

Why? Because this is how we want to play and we need to work at it. I don't understand the idea of completely changing our style because it's Man U - they won't change their style. Are we more likely to beat Man U playing a style we are familiar with and practice, or playing a new style for a one off game?

Also, we played loads of long balls from the back last night, we weren't one dimensional. As for the goal, I was praising Ryan's pass when he made it. Took three of their players out of the game. Unfortunately Alzate then had a complete head f*ck and passed it blind straight to one of theirs. Like watching Propper! (Stephens wouldn't have done that :p ). But, I rest assured that Alzate won't do that again.

Pulling off the odd surprise result? Last season beat Arsenal twice, beat Spurs, drew with Chelsea, two draws with Wolves, point away at Leicester. Hardly a bad haul.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
To be honest I'll say we didn't play well - and mean that in a positive way. Blind pass for the first goal. Backed off for the second. Free header from a set piece for the third. All things we only did once, just little drops in concentration, but once was enough. Dunk missed a sitter as well.

No, if we'd have played well, we'd have absolute matched Chelsea, could well have beaten them. That's how good I think we can be.
I thought we had a number of good moves in the first half but after going behind i thought we would run ourselves down so decided to watched Match of the Day,however BBC did not include this program on the night

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Opinions, although we clearly were, otherwise we would not have lost 3-1.

Chelsea only got into 2nd gear about three times, the rest of the time they were cruising without breaking a sweat.
Our attacking threat was pretty blunt, despite one or two tempting crosses that should have been attacked with more vigour.

Sometimes I take off my rose tinted spectacles, we were second best.

Exactly, opinions. Yours seems to be at odds to most others

We all know our attack is blunt, bleating about it won't change that, we have to work with what we currently have. I'm guessing our management are probably aware of this.

Is it conceivable that Chelsea only got into 2nd gear a couple of times because we prevented them? Your view is just another case of when we beat a team it's not because we were better but because they had an off day.

You clearly did have your rose tints on 'cos you certainly didn't have your blue and white tints on.

The team that wins isn't necessarily the better team.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Newcastle 0 - 3 Brighton :bounce:

We played well against Chelsea, and it was a good indicator of performances to come. No need for bedwetting.

We shouldn't get too high or too low with results and performances, but I'm quite excited to see what we can do this year.

Up the Albion! :albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here