Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Don’t know what people are complaining about, we were good today.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Most teams in the league would consider only losing by two goals, against a team with Chelsea’s financial clout as a good result.

DavePage

Think i’m missing something, how many chances did our forwards have today?
exchange one of those forwards for the sparking new forward that is craved by al.
The pressure on him having a couple of chances, which must be scored otherwise he’s a waste of money and no better than what we had already.

Surely the problem is with getting the ball to the forwards to actually get a shot on goal.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
What the problem is that we made some good chances but didn't punish a top six side enough? Not sure that is a big problem as it is a problem for 14 teams. The judge of our scoring ability will come against non-top 6 sides not ****ing chelsea.
That’s a strange outlook Dunk missed a sitter doesn’t matter if it’s against Chelsea or West Brom still a sitter.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
One of the most encouraging performances for a while. Honestly thought we deserved to win and if it wasn't for James' instant 25 yard screamer of a reply I reckon we would have gone on to take 3 points! Overall It was a good all round performance. Certainly highlighted the (ongoing) need to sign a new striker. The main downside of the match for me was the injury to Lallana and possibly White? (a class tackle)

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Most teams in the league would consider only losing by two goals, against a team with Chelsea’s financial clout as a good result.
That's typical Brighton mentality right there

Chelsea are a fairly average away team. They won 9 drew 3 and lost 7 away last season. So in theory we had a better chance of getting a draw or win combined than losing.

Without some of their new players and pulisic they ain't all that away.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Yep. Agree banjo. Dunk puts that in and it’s a different game.

We still need that threat up front. Connolly not the answer yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a strangely enjoyable 3-1 defeat, but I think we take it lightly as there is still 37 games to go. I feel people have forgotten this is the same problems from last season unresolved. Same mistakes (albeit not Propper) playing blind passes under minimal pressure. I let Alzate off because he’s learning and I like him but that needs to be addressed. We must have conceded 6 or 7 exactly like that last season off the time of my head. Can’t complain so much about the 2nd or 3rd...but not much we can do with a blunt strike force. The commentators were even speculating Kepa was blind and we only scored 1. Haha.

Dunk should have buried that. Next time people wonder why he isn’t getting England caps, there’s one answer. Absolute sitter. And Connolly will never be the answer to a question re: goals. If the question is “Who can we bring on to give a lot of puff and work the channels and might... might score once in a blue moon?”. The answer would be AC but we need a finisher ASAP and have done for 2 seasons now.

We made chances, we played well. Passing and link up play was good. Made some good crosses (Maupay chance in the first half, too) but now we need someone that, no matter how poor they are as a target man or false 9, defensive fwd or any of that...just need someone to turn chances in to goals. Unfashionable and functional.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
To be honest I'll say we didn't play well - and mean that in a positive way. Blind pass for the first goal. Backed off for the second. Free header from a set piece for the third. All things we only did once, just little drops in concentration, but once was enough. Dunk missed a sitter as well.

No, if we'd have played well, we'd have absolute matched Chelsea, could well have beaten them. That's how good I think we can be.

But those ' little drops in concentration ' are very familiar. We keep doing it over and over again in our last third. Playing out from the back requires accuracy and concentration and we keep letting ourselves down. The better sides have worked us out now. Just press high, close each man down and wait for the mistake. Bingo. Goal. Potter has decided to play the same way against everybody so when we play the top sides, we all know what is going to happen.
30/06.....Man U ( H )......0-3
08/07.....Livpool ( H ).....1-3
11/07.....Man C ( H )......0-5
14/09.....Chelsea ( H )...1-3
All four performances full of basic mistakes playing out from the back, particularly when Ryan plays it straight forward 20-25yards to someone facing their own goal ( which he does regularly ) These players know they can't afford a second touch, so the inclination is to play it off hurriedly, aware of the presence around them. Under pressure, mistakes are made and in those areas it usually results in trouble. Opponents know we play it forward short and wait for it.
I respect Potter for what he is trying to do but surely he has to consider some mixing and matching in style. Last night wasn't a one-off. We could have got something from both the Liverpool and Chelsea games had we not committed suicide 30 yards from our own goal. If we don't try and change, at least against the top sides, then we will continue to shed points to them like autumn leaves. We all want to see us progress and that means pulling off the odd surprise result and that can only be achieved by limiting mistakes at the back. United will come to the Amex next, press high and wait for the mistakes. Why don't we try and ruffle their feathers a bit and just be a little less predictable.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
On another day we would have got something, overall a solid performance and something to build on. Very impressed with White, looks a class act

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Fine margins.

Dunk and Maupay score their chances makes it 3-2 and a different dynamic to the game and who knows what might have happened..

We lost, we move on, we go again.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'm so bored of people complaining. It's Chelsea FFS

Not sure whether you mean....its Chelsea...we never beat them ( which is true ) or....a more general.....its one of the big boys.....what do you expect. If its the latter, then I want to see us starting to pick up the odd surprise result against these teams, by limiting mistakes at the back and being more clinical upfront. Its a lot to ask, I know but we are now paying our players a lot of money, we are supposedly upgrading every season and playing more attractively. And yet........
( I guess if I wrote this in 10 years time we still won't have beaten Chelsea !!! )

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
But those ' little drops in concentration ' are very familiar. We keep doing it over and over again in our last third. Playing out from the back requires accuracy and concentration and we keep letting ourselves down. The better sides have worked us out now. Just press high, close each man down and wait for the mistake. Bingo. Goal. Potter has decided to play the same way against everybody so when we play the top sides, we all know what is going to happen.
30/06.....Man U ( H )......0-3
08/07.....Livpool ( H ).....1-3
11/07.....Man C ( H )......0-5
14/09.....Chelsea ( H )...1-3
All four performances full of basic mistakes playing out from the back, particularly when Ryan plays it straight forward 20-25yards to someone facing their own goal ( which he does regularly ) These players know they can't afford a second touch, so the inclination is to play it off hurriedly, aware of the presence around them. Under pressure, mistakes are made and in those areas it usually results in trouble. Opponents know we play it forward short and wait for it.
I respect Potter for what he is trying to do but surely he has to consider some mixing and matching in style. Last night wasn't a one-off. We could have got something from both the Liverpool and Chelsea games had we not committed suicide 30 yards from our own goal. If we don't try and change, at least against the top sides, then we will continue to shed points to them like autumn leaves. We all want to see us progress and that means pulling off the odd surprise result and that can only be achieved by limiting mistakes at the back. United will come to the Amex next, press high and wait for the mistakes. Why don't we try and ruffle their feathers a bit and just be a little less predictable.
Spot on. Good post.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
The issue is strength in depth . Burn for white ok . But if Maupay is out we are just too short Connolly needs more experience. And as got sick note it was to big a game or to have him as it means going back to Gross , Stephens and Propper no pace no goals or creativity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Problem is there is no getting away from the fact that in any level football you are only as good as your front two (or one depending on formation), we need potency in front of goal and that costs.
Slightly off topic but relevant I didn’t realise Zaha is on £120,000 a week up at Palace, clearly key players at a club come at a premium, as much as our footballing morals might think it’s wrong, the Albion have got pay the kind of wages they’ve not considered before if the all important striker is to arrive at the Amex.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But those ' little drops in concentration ' are very familiar. We keep doing it over and over again in our last third. Playing out from the back requires accuracy and concentration and we keep letting ourselves down. The better sides have worked us out now. .

Against 5 of the top 10 sides from March onwards we were unbeaten. (Leicester, Arsenal, Wolves, Sheff Utd and Burnley).
And the penalty had nothing to do with playing out from the back. Alzate made a poor pass in the final third with plenty of space around him . He wasn't under pressure. Chelsea weren't pressing anticipating this type of play.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
What was pleasing was the fact it was a very young side out there that should improve and learn. We had chances we didn’t take. Dunk Mupaay both should have scored headers and we had other decent play around the box.
Alzate and Bissouma did very well up against a very experienced midfield. Lampety was quality and I enjoyed March performance on the left. Has the hallmarks of a very good team. I’d love to see a striker come in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Chelsea did not look up for this at all, they did not gel or play for prolonged periods as a team, yet they still beat us easily in the end, they just ramped it up slightly, got the goals and went back to sleep....

Don’t Let’s kid ourselves that we were close, it was relatively easy for them.

Think you watched a different game to me! They won because of a deflected goal and a defensive error leading to a penalty. Had Maupay headed the ball rather than hit his shoulder and had Dunk taken his chance then it could have been a different story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here