Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Don't forget ....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There are plenty of players who have thrived under a change of manager and vice versa. Poyet never played to CMS strengths. And I can't believe even his most staunch supporter could suggest otherwise.

You asked 'has CMS been a massive dissapointment?'

Irrespective of whatever mitigating circumstances you want to consider, the simple fact is that he has been exactly that.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Genuine question...Has Cms been a massive disappointment. Or has he simply been played out of position and asked to do a job alien to him, then suffered a crisis of confidence because of it???...I personally still think there is a player there, christ knows a lot of good judges were after him. I suppose the truth is the jury is out and we won't really know until he is up and running again. I'm sure he will be chomping at the bit to get going again.

agreed, we now play the ball over the top far more often and CMS excels at feeding off those types of balls. I can't wait to see him back in the stripes. We have missed his pace up top.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
So you keep telling me. I lend my opinion to the stats since he's been with us, they tend to support my thoughts. A £3m striker, I would hope, should have a better goal return than 1 every 3.7 games.

I agree he has to do better, but I expect him to do so now Poyet isn't mis-managing him by playing him as a lone striker / target man.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
But it's pretty obvious he is going to be sold, and has been for a while. I guess I'd like to have seen a preemptive strike and get player/s in at the start of window. I'm just not a fan of these Transfer Windows to be honest.
I understand that getting loans and freebies doesn't cost nothing, but it's not the club getting the player thay want, it's us getting other peoples crap.

It's not obvious though is it. We all thought he'd be gone by Tuesday but the club refused his transfer request. Holding on to him for another 6 months would be as big a statement of intent as selling him and then splashing out 3m on a replacement.

Who knows. Maybe the 750k from the Barnes deal has been partially used to increase Bridcutt's wages for the next 6 months so that he gets his head down with a promise of a transfer in the summer if we don't go up.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Genuine question...Has Cms been a massive disappointment. Or has he simply been played out of position and asked to do a job alien to him, then suffered a crisis of confidence because of it???...I personally still think there is a player there, christ knows a lot of good judges were after him. I suppose the truth is the jury is out and we won't really know until he is up and running again. I'm sure he will be chomping at the bit to get going again.

That seems a much fairer assessment to me.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You are not footing the bill; Tony Bloom is.

Again, we have pulled in only 750k in transfer fees. That will cover Ince's improved wages and, hopefully, Conway's wage until May. I'm happy with that. If Bridcutt were to be sold for 4m tomorrow, then yes, I might start expecting a player or 2 to be bought to replace him or strengthen in other areas.

Funny, I thought 23,000 season ticket holders paying prem prices, footed some of the bill. If that drops to 17,000 Mr Bloom will have to foot even more of the bill. Like I have said, don't bite the hand that feeds you. Why do you think PIG hasn't been offered a new contract yet??? Or do you think he came here from Old Trafford for 10k a week like some fools do on here, when he could have stayed in the prem. Like I said before a hell of a lot of money was given to the previous manager. Some of it was spent well, and a lot of it was wasted.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's harsh to say CMS has been a disappointment. Gus's tactics were completely the opposite of how Peterborough used to play when CMS was scoring for fun, and playing as the lone striker for us didn't help either.

I'm looking forward to seeing him play alongside Ulloa. We've been a bit goal-shy in the Championship and need to show we're capable of banging in 4 or 5 every now and again, much like Leicester. One up top and possession football can lead to a negative mentality, which is one of the reasons we never ended up winning after going behind under Gus since Opening Day 2011. I believe if Ulloa, CMS and KLL are starting regularly and in good form the goals will come.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
It's not obvious though is it. We all thought he'd be gone by Tuesday but the club refused his transfer request. Holding on to him for another 6 months would be as big a statement of intent as selling him and then splashing out 3m on a replacement.

Who knows. Maybe the 750k from the Barnes deal has been partially used to increase Bridcutt's wages for the next 6 months so that he gets his head down with a promise of a transfer in the summer if we don't go up.

I'd say yes it is obvious. Gus and Liam are perfect for each others style, Gus can offer him more money and Premier League football. There will be a figure which Tony accepts whether it be now or the summer. I'd like to think we could bring at leats 1 player in knowing that Liam is going, a bit risky perhaps but we're never going to get promotion by playing it safe all of the time, maybe a little risk could be the difference between the Championship and the riches of the Premier League.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say yes it is obvious. Gus and Liam are perfect for each others style, Gus can offer him more money and Premier League football. There will be a figure which Tony accepts whether it be now or the summer. I'd like to think we could bring at leats 1 player in knowing that Liam is going, a bit risky perhaps but we're never going to get promotion by playing it safe all of the time, maybe a little risk could be the difference between the Championship and the riches of the Premier League.

So you agree that it could be now or in the summer?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
He cetainly has to do better, but he lacks the basic ability to score consistently at this level.

Disagree. First of all, he was on for 15+ goals before his injury according to the NSC stats king (I think he would have got more TBH) and that was whilst being mismanaged by Poyet. 15 is a good return. Secondly, the abilities he has got, especially pace and finishing, seem to be severely underestimated by your good self. So what if he can't hold the ball up, or defend corners well; that's not his game, never has been, never will be.

mjking73

Apr 17, 2013
Littlehampton
If all fit and well the front six, it's just an option....,

----------------Ulloa------------------
---Lua Lua-----Orlandi------CMS-------
-----------Ince-----Bridcutt*----------

* or suitable replacement

Seems like a potent force to me!

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
Spending enough? Spending anything maybe. Having sold Barnes and selling Bridcutt I would like to us invest in a quality player, that's all. I think it's unrealistic to expect promotion by scratching around for freebies and cast offs. I don't want the club to run into financial turmoil but a little reinvestment isn't a completely outrageous request.

It worked for palace...

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Of course he has. I can't believe that even his most staunch supporter could suggest otherwise.

Massively disappointing that Poyet spent that much on him and never used him correctly. Before Oscar started we were told that he favours 3 up top (I presume an interchangeable 3 a la Barca...) Maybe CMS will get his chance with Ulloa and one of Buckley, KLL, Orlandi or whoever we bring in. The criticism of CMS, in my view, should be aimed (largely) at his former manager. He bought him and he chose the formation.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
The disappointment for me is that CMS got injured and hasn't had a chance to play in Oscar's system, especially now it is bedding in and starting to make sense.

I think CMS did 'ok' in the system played by Gus but it certainly didn't suit his strengths - so I hope he will do better in the more direct system played by Oscar. It may not be the route 1 stuff he enjoyed at Posh but if he still has that pace then he ought to get better service and support. I also think CMS was more of a handful for defenders. If he plays off Ulloa then it will tie up defenders and mean they don't always outnumber us and have far less time when CMS closes them down. His mobility in dragging defenders around should also create more space for Ulloa.

Of course this assumes he regains match fitness and is given enough time by the fans - I can already sense many itching to get on his back yet he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for 10 months. Realistically I can't see CMS regaining full fitness much before March which only leaves him a handful of games to make a proper impact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here