[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I do sometimes think though ... as much as I would love him to go to jail, is that the best scenario for the rehabilitation of the US?

If there was some plea deal, for his various crimes, where he avoided jail, had to admit guilt and apologise, couldn't post on social media, speak in public or run for office and basically had to see out his days playing golf on his course in Scotland, would that actually be a better way of trying to move on from this nightmare?
Amended for a far scarier outcome....

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
He wouldn't stick to the terms of the plea deal. He's a malignant narcissist and would continue posting lies and threats on social media.
Even now he is not sticking to the agreement made during his arraignment(s). He continues to engage in what is clearly an attempt to intimidate potential witnesses.

He is daring (one of the many) judge(s) to get pissed off enough to actually demand he be jailed pending trial.

This from yesterday:

Expect Georgia to add "witness tampering" as an additional charge.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Even now he is not sticking to the agreement made during his arraignment(s). He continues to engage in what is clearly an attempt to intimidate potential witnesses.

He is daring (one of the many) judge(s) to get pissed off enough to actually demand he be jailed pending trial.

This from yesterday:

Expect Georgia to add "witness tampering" as an additional charge.
There's enough guns in the US and certainly enough nutters surely one can use one to good use for once instead of shooting kids.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
:lolol:

There's an old adage with lawyers:

"If you have the facts on your side, pound the facts; if you have the law on your side, pound the law; if you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table."

Trump is very definitely pounding the table at this point.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I do sometimes think though ... as much as I would love him to go to jail, is that the best scenario for the rehabilitation of the US?

If there was some plea deal, for his various crimes, where he avoided jail, had to admit guilt and apologise, couldn't post on social media, speak in public or run for office and basically had to see out his days playing golf in Mar Al Lago, would that actually be a better way of trying to move on from this nightmare?
There is no chance he would ever agree to that.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I suppose the one where he's faced with spending the rest of his life in jail
He'd have to be convicted first. 12-person jury, unanimous for conviction.

Even with expert voir-dire, the odds are very good that there'll be a true believer in any jury you empanel, in any jurisdiction.

And even in DC. The city isn't majority black any more -- it's 40-40-20 at this point.

So you secure a conviction... and then the appeals process kicks in.

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He'd have to be convicted first. 12-person jury, unanimous for conviction.

Even with expert voir-dire, the odds are very good that there'll be a true believer in any jury you empanel, in any jurisdiction.

And even in DC. The city isn't majority black any more -- it's 40-40-20 at this point.

So you secure a conviction... and then the appeals process kicks in.
Yes, this is what I mean. He'd have to be convicted. He needs to be in no uncertain terms he's going to prison, he has no chance to pardon himself, then there's a deal to be done.

As much as I hate him, the US needs to to heal and him behind bars, forever going on about the conspiracy and whipping up hatred from a cell won't achieve this

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes, this is what I mean. He'd have to be convicted. He needs to be in no uncertain terms he's going to prison, he has no chance to pardon himself, then there's a deal to be done.

As much as I hate him, the US needs to to heal and him behind bars, forever going on about the conspiracy and whipping up hatred from a cell won't achieve this
Lock him up and throw away the key. Forget about any deals.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Lock him up and throw away the key. Forget about any deals.
Still have to find a jury that will convict him.

Elsewise you run into a "The only way to preserve the rule of law and the ordinary functioning of justice is drumhead courts-martial, and summary executions" problem.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good piece in the Guardian yesterday on how Trump's latest Big Lie poses an existential threat to the future of American democracy

Good piece, but 'Trump tells lies' is hardly news. I reckon almost everything he SAYS is, at best, distorted slightly from the truth and, at worst, complete fiction in his funny little head.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Pay no attention. Dershowitz has gone completely off the deep end and ruined his reputation as a serious legal scholar.

In case it's not clear: You don't get to commit a crime just because you believe you are the victim of a crime.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Pay no attention. Dershowitz has gone completely off the deep end and ruined his reputation as a serious legal scholar.

In case it's not clear: You don't get to commit a crime just because you believe you are the victim of a crime.
In case it’s not clear, it isn’t a crime to challenge an election. It’s been happening for 200 years. Dershowitz hasn’t gone off the deep end, he just has the gonads to call it out for what it is, the persecution of their main political opponent to eliminate him from contention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports