Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Donald Trump 2024

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It is pretty incredible for the distant right to be claiming the 2000 Election challenges are in any way similar to the concerted attempts by Trump and his conspirators. 2000 was litigated in the courts, not on attempted bullying phone calls asking for votes. The issues were pretty clear, speaking purely about the lawsuits in Florida which centred around the printing of the ballots which were being completed. They were not aligned so there were Gore votes which were accidentally punched for Bush but ultimately the case was settled in favour of the Republicans and the Democratic party had to take it on the chin that they should have objected to the ballots when they had the chance, pre-election. They didn't and they lost. Gore conceded and accepted he had lost.

Trump lost. Everyone knew he lost, every person involved in the conspiracy to steal it knew they had lost and needed to "find" votes in order to turn it around. They acted in a criminal manner and are being held accountable. Any private citizen who behaved the way Trump has wouldn't even be out on remand.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In case it’s not clear, it isn’t a crime to challenge an election. It’s been happening for 200 years. Dershowitz hasn’t gone off the deep end, he just has the gonads to call it out for what it is, the persecution of their main political opponent to eliminate him from contention.
Yeah, poor persecuted Donald Trump. Boo!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
In case it’s not clear, it isn’t a crime to challenge an election. It’s been happening for 200 years. Dershowitz hasn’t gone off the deep end, he just has the gonads to call it out for what it is, the persecution of their main political opponent to eliminate him from contention.
Hang on, Trump and his associates had their time in court challenging the election results, over sixty times in fact. Same as the Democrats did in 2000, it should have ended there as is customary.

The current litigation concerns the Trump teams actions once it became clear they weren't going to overturn the results through legal means.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
And nobody said it was.

The charges are for the criminal conspiracy to overturn the election. Not challenge the election. Commit actual crimes to get the result they wanted.

Since you are clearly not getting it, let's say this a bit louder:

YOU DON'T GET TO ROB A BANK BECAUSE YOU BELIEVE THEY RIPPED YOU OFF.

Similarly you don't get to foment an insurrection, submit fraudulent slates of electors or bully public officials into making up vote totals that favor you want just because you feel the election was stolen from you (it wasn't).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
This is the same Dershowitz that launched a moral case for the legal use of torture. You're right about one thing: he hasn't gone off the deep end, he was in it all along:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
From the Torygraph front page - pinch of salt and all that but

Donald Trump supporters have published the names and addresses, with photos, of the jurors who voted to charge the former president in Georgia.

Until Trump shuffles off this mortal coil, the US will continue to be a powder keg.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I wonder if they could add up all his convictions and just sentence him to death? Fried rather than injected I would hope.
PPV?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Looking forward to this, in the same way all those endless 'bombshell reveals' promised by Trump and his gang of crazed lunatics back in 2020/1 never ever once actually happened.
Well, I’m astonished at this unexpected turn of events…

9BE2B503-1B49-4C02-8682-36053DA53634.jpeg

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
f*** me:

Despite Trump's victim complex, the truth is that the justice system has bent over backwards to accommodate his unique situation. Few other criminal defendants can expect this kind of kid gloves treatment (most don't get to negotiate when they surrender and chose not to have mug shots taken, for example). But at some point somebody has got to drop the hammer on this shit and seriously restrict him pending trial.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Some have tried.

I wonder if they could add up all his convictions and just sentence him to death? Fried rather than injected I would hope.

Knowing Trump he would probably die of old age the day before they were to execute him and take all the fun out of it. Lord knows he would have his lawyers file every appeal he could to get the execution pushed out to 2040 or beyond.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Despite Trump's victim complex, the truth is that the justice system has bent over backwards to accommodate his unique situation. Few other criminal defendants can expect this kind of kid gloves treatment (most don't get to negotiate when they surrender and chose not to have mug shots taken, for example). But at some point somebody has got to drop the hammer on this shit and seriously restrict him pending trial.

Trump is about as much of a victim as John Wayne Gacy.

And they were/are both "killer clowns." :)

I do believe the judges have given warnings to Trump and in 2 cases he said he would abide by their instructions. It is truly time for these judges to "drop the hammer" and send the Donald to the slammer. Oh what joy that would bring to so many US citizens.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
There is a slow turning of a few Trump supporting people away from what they know is truly an ego driven and criminal politician. Here is a story from yesterday, August 19, 2023 in the Charlotte, North Carolina Observer asking Christians in that state to turn away from Trump.

What I want my evangelical Christian friends to know about Trump | Opinion

BY ISSAC BAILEY
AUGUST 19, 2023 6:00 AM

In the eyes of a significant number of white evangelical Christians, loyalty to Donald Trump is more important than following Jesus.

Trump is their Savior now. It’s not hyperbole. It’s a sad reality in which we find ourselves, why the country hasn’t been able to move on from one of the most destructive political forces of the modern era.

I didn’t need media intelligence firm Zignal Labs and The Associated Press to tell me. They conducted an analysis of online and social media content earlier this year and found “tens of thousands of mentions calling Trump a martyr” when Trump faced his first indictment in New York during the Christian Holy Week. That number doubled when Georgia Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene compared Trump’s arrest to the literal persecution of Christ.

“Trump is joining some of the most incredible people in history being arrested today,” the congresswoman told Right Side Broadcasting. “Nelson Mandela was arrested, served time in prison. Jesus — Jesus was arrested and murdered by the Roman government.”

I was at the New York courthouse in the days and hours leading up to Trump’s first arraigned. It was more circus and spectacle than crucifixion or execution.

Neither did I need Russell Moore, a former top official in the Southern Baptist Convention and current editor-in-chief of Christianity Today magazine, to tell me. Because I saw the beginnings of it during the end of my 17-year-long membership in a mostly-white Evangelical church in Conway, S.C. Because I noticed the shift in my daily interactions with people I once prayed with long before Moore recently told NPR that he believes Christianity is in crisis.

“It was the result of having multiple pastors tell me, essentially, the same story about quoting the Sermon on the Mount, parenthetically, in their preaching — ‘turn the other cheek’ — [and] to have someone come up after to say, ‘Where did you get those liberal talking points?’ Moore told Scott Detrow of NPR. “And what was alarming to me is that in most of these scenarios, when the pastor would say, ‘I’m literally quoting Jesus Christ,’ the response would not be, ‘I apologize.’ The response would be, ‘Yes, but that doesn’t work anymore. That’s weak.’ And when we get to the point where the teachings of Jesus himself are seen as subversive to us, then we’re in a crisis.”

They’ve told pastors Jesus is weak, or at least his message, and that Trump is strong. They seem to believe following Trump instead of Jesus will get them to a promised land of glory and power quicker.

Or maybe they think, like that Zignal Labs analysis suggests, Trump is Jesus or a Jesus-like figure, though not the version who was born in a manger, hung out with the unclean, and washed other people’s feet to model humility and the importance of “the least of these.” Maybe in their minds, Trump is the Jesus of Revelation. He’s the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords with a sword in his mouth who has come back to judge the righteous and unrighteous, to wage war.

“I Am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end,” Jesus declared in Revelation, the final book of the New Testament.

During the 2016 Republican National Convention, Trump declared: “I have joined the political arena so that the powerful can no longer beat up on people who cannot defend themselves. Nobody knows the system better than me, which is why I alone can fix it.”

Two thousand years ago, Jesus voluntarily became a sacrificial lamb, giving his life to save us from our sins. Trump voluntarily relinquished a billionaire’s lap of luxury — and even his salary as president — to save the country from its sins, they’ve argued while praising him. (Never mind the hundreds of millions of dollars from foreign actors his family made while he was in the White House, and since.)

Like Jesus, despite all Trump has had to endure — such as supposedly having an election stolen from him — the former president is still standing, still fighting evil on their behalf. In their view, Christians who oppose Trump are blind and don’t realize he was sent for a time like this to fight powers and principalities, not to improve the short-term political fortunes of the elite.

A return to the White House would be like Jesus’; his garment will be stained with his enemies’ blood.

The horror that was Jan. 6, 2021 likely emboldened them rather than shocked their conscience. It’s why they view every Trump indictment not as democracy working as intended, upholding the principle that no man is above the law, but as akin to a lash from a Roman soldier’s whip on Jesus’ back. I wish it weren’t true. But it is.

It’s a mindset similar to the one that convinced Edgar Maddison Welch to drive from North Carolina to a Washington, D.C., pizza parlor, convinced he had to save children from an imaginary satanic child sex ring funded and operated by Democrats.

He was armed with an AR-15 rifle and a pistol, and fired a shot inside Comet Ping Pong, only to realize too late he had been taken in by a hoax. He was sentenced to four years in prison.

I hope those who’ve come to believe Trump is here to save us wake up before it’s too late for us all.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/opinion/article278377749.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I do sometimes think though ... as much as I would love him to go to jail, is that the best scenario for the rehabilitation of the US?

If there was some plea deal, for his various crimes, where he avoided jail, had to admit guilt and apologise, couldn't post on social media, speak in public or run for office and basically had to see out his days playing golf in Mar Al Lago, would that actually be a better way of trying to move on from this nightmare?
What should happen is that he is tried in open court and all the evidence against him put to him. In a normal society that would be enough to sink him but I fear the US is no longer a " Normal " country .

I fear that even in death the US will never be rid of him the Conspiracy theorists and fruit loops would convince themselves that Trump has faked his death and will return when the time is right. We will not be rid of him for decades.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
It’s a mindset similar to the one that convinced Edgar Maddison Welch to drive from North Carolina to a Washington, D.C., pizza parlor, convinced he had to save children from an imaginary satanic child sex ring funded and operated by Democrats.

He was armed with an AR-15 rifle and a pistol, and fired a shot inside Comet Ping Pong, only to realize too late he had been taken in by a hoax. He was sentenced to four years in prison.

FYI, the judge that sentenced Welch to the 4 year prison sentence was Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, who was Biden's nomination for the US Supreme Court and now sits as a judge on that Supreme Court.

Attachments

• 1692535696729.png
    1692535696729.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The same judge who couldn’t define what a woman is.

If you want to talk about the "bad" Supreme Court justices let's start talking about the Republican nominated Judge Clarence Thomas, who's wife openly supports the Trump campaign and who has been taking what are basically "bribes" to make decisions for Republican political operatives. Especially when the unpopular with the public Roe vs Wade abortion rules were reversed it's obvious Clarence Thomas is a very compromised Supreme Court Justice. You picked the wrong topic here.

As soon as the story broke that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas had, for decades, been taking expensive vacations on the dime of billionaire Harlan Crow, liberal critics and conservative defenders huddled around the same question: Had Thomas sold his votes on the court to the highest bidder?

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, led off with a tweet that Crow funds a conservative outfit that has filed briefs in eight different Supreme Court cases. Each time, Thomas sided with Crow.

For more than two decades, Thomas has accepted luxury trips virtually every year from the Dallas businessman without disclosing them, documents and interviews show. A public servant who has a salary of $285,000, he has vacationed on Crow’s superyacht around the globe. He flies on Crow’s Bombardier Global 5000 jet. He has gone with Crow to the Bohemian Grove, the exclusive California all-male retreat, and to Crow’s sprawling ranch in East Texas. And Thomas typically spends about a week every summer at Crow’s private resort in the Adirondacks.

The extent and frequency of Crow’s apparent gifts to Thomas have no known precedent in the modern history of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here