Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dogs

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Dogs are horrible. Mainly because of their owners.

They leave their poo on the pavements, they stick their nose & eat in your picnics, they harass & scare your children. They smell, leave their hair everywhere & consume 1/3 of the world's meat & therefore contribute to masses of co2 production & are responsible for global warming.

Like you i have always spuriously blamed the dog after dropping a stinky.,Its quite natural……blaming the dog that is, not the gaseous emission emanating from my climate changing pumps.
In conclusion. Dogs rock.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No supposed about it, I am allergic to many animals but not our dog, one of the main reasons we got her as my daughter wanted a puppy.
People have a choice, so what if it's a mongrel, it's a great dog and part of the family and gives us great pleasure.
Silly name? It's half king Charles spaniel and half poodle, what is it supposed to be called, seems like you and portlock are dog snobs.
You normally talk a lot of sense on here but on this you seem to have your head up your arse.

Chopper proving yet again that if he doesn’t like another’s opinion he loses his shit and becomes rude and defensive.

I bet you’re the one in group conversations that everyone just agrees with to keep the peace right?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Contemplating getting a dog. Need a companion after losing my boy. Also conscious of not having a knee jerk reaction. Never been in a dog family, so not sure where I would start if we got one. How easy is it to "train" a dog?
It's easy to train a dog. It's also really easy to not train a dog. What's weird is how some people get how to do it, and some don't. I'd really recommend the DogsTrust for training. For our previous Cocker we joined a private puppy training class. I was happy with the classes (which are about training the owners so that the owners can train their own dogs), but we recently went through the same thing again, but this time with the DogsTrust and I was really impressed. Multiple staff members for each session, and they really know their stuff (like degrees in animal behaviour).

I like a good walk, but worry about confrontations with other dogs etc - how are they resolved.
A few breeds are more inclined to like a fight. While these can of course be well trained, it would certainly be easier (IMO) to have a dog that isn't interested in fighting. It's really nothing to worry about.

What are the concerns with being a first time dog owner?
1) Having the time to look after the dog.
2) If getting a puppy, being ok with the fact they'll eat your house (they're not all the same - our current Cocker likes chewing more than our previous one).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Speciesism

Domesticated animals are completely dependent on humans, who control every aspect of their lives. Unlike human children, who will one day become autonomous, non-humans never will. That is the entire point of domestication – we want domesticated animals to depend on us. They remain perpetually in a netherworld of vulnerability, dependent on us for everything that is of relevance to them. We have bred them to be compliant and servile, and to have characteristics that are pleasing to us, even though many of those characteristics are harmful to the animals involved. We might make them happy in one sense, but the relationship can never be ‘natural’ or ‘normal’. They do not belong in our world, irrespective of how well we treat them. This is more or less true of all domesticated non-humans. They are perpetually dependent on us. We control their lives forever. They truly are ‘animal slaves’. Some of us might be benevolent masters, but we really can’t be anything more than that.

There is of course a big truth in this. It’s not as if our dogs break away from a pack and decide to stay with us is it. As I’ve stated earlier I have a gorgeous mutt myself.

If though a dog is brought up within a pack , it’s life is certainly harsher than that of being domesticated with people

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Here’s my best mate.....a year old on Friday ! View attachment 118035

:) Stunning and great fun.
I get to look after this one.

image.jpg

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If the dog is half poodle what are they supposed to be called?
We have a Cava*** she really is a great little doggy full of character and fun, very easy to train does not stink or leave hair everywhere.

Down here they are a Cavoodle. And whilst yes, technically they are mongrels they also are pretty dependable in their appearance and disposition, depending on generation. Fun, friendly, intelligent and strong willed, with the added bonus of almost zero hair shed or allergic reactions.

One day I am sure they will be recognised by the KC, along with Groodles and Labradoodles. We intend to get a Groodle as a pal for our Cavoodle.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
We got a Cokerpoo after the passing away of our beautiful Cocker Spaniel Floozy, We ended up with two though as the runt of the litter Ernie got rejected by the family that took him. I'm sure it was divine intervention that brought him to us because he is an amazing little monster. Two is harder work and the expense is killing me at times but I wouldn't swap them for all the tea in China.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We got a Cokerpoo after the passing away of our beautiful Cocker Spaniel Floozy, We ended up with two though as the runt of the litter Ernie got rejected by the family that took him. I'm sure it was divine intervention that brought him to us because he is an amazing little monster. Two is harder work and the expense is killing me at times but I wouldn't swap them for all the tea in China.

When I was about 12 my parents let me choose my dog from a litter that a neighbour had. They were not impressed that I went for the runt, because I felt so sorry for it being shoved out of the way by all the others suckling. She was a lovely, if slightly wimpy dog. Happy memories.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Got 2 Labradors, aged 9 and 11.
Most beautiful, loyal, even tempered dogs you could wish for.
Dreading the day when we have to say goodbye to them.
We lost one of our previous dogs to cancer when she was only 5, it was heartbreaking.

Yes, can fully sympathise. Mine is almost 10 and I too dread the day. He has been the most loyal friend over the years and wonderful with the grandchildren. truly a member of the family. Dogs NEVER let you down.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Jess.jpg

Jess, Tibetan Terrier.
1st dog ive ever had, love her to death. She's 11 now, dreading the day we lose her.

Picture taken before she started chewing on my daughters foot

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There are some really cute little dogs around. In the park I saw one steal another dog's bright orange ball and wouldn't give it back. The owner said they have a ball like it at home that they won't play with :smile:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Domesticated animals are completely dependent on humans, who control every aspect of their lives. Unlike human children, who will one day become autonomous, non-humans never will.
Yep. So?

That is the entire point of domestication – we want domesticated animals to depend on us.
No it isn't. Animals have been used through the years to help with tasks - like riding horses, or using horses to plough fields, or animals to turn wheels. The point was to make use of their abilities. Their dependence on us was a combination of necessity and natural evolution, but it wasn't the entire point. And the point of most of the dogs and cats we keep is companionship. Again, dependence is not really an option, but it's not the point at all. I'd be fine if my dog could feed himself and clear up his own shit.

They remain perpetually in a netherworld of vulnerability, dependent on us for everything that is of relevance to them.
So? It's an easier life than living in the wild until they can't run fast enough to survive.

We have bred them to be compliant and servile, and to have characteristics that are pleasing to us, even though many of those characteristics are harmful to the animals involved.
I agree that some characteristics are harmful to the animals and wish that was stopped.

We might make them happy in one sense, but the relationship can never be ‘natural’ or ‘normal’.
It's obviously normal in this country, as that just means it's typical etc. You can argue that it's not natural for humans to live in this advanced civilisation we're in. Like it or not, many pets have evolved to live side by side with humans, so it's natural for them.

They do not belong in our world
Sure they do.
They are perpetually dependent on us. We control their lives forever. They truly are ‘animal slaves’.
You don't seem to understand what slavery is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here