Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Dogs

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Contemplating getting a dog. Need a companion after losing my boy. Also conscious of not having a knee jerk reaction. Never been in a dog family, so not sure where I would start if we got one. How easy is it to "train" a dog? I like a good walk, but worry about confrontations with other dogs etc - how are they resolved. What are the concerns with being a first time dog owner?

el punal

Speciesism

Domesticated animals are completely dependent on humans, who control every aspect of their lives. Unlike human children, who will one day become autonomous, non-humans never will. That is the entire point of domestication – we want domesticated animals to depend on us. They remain perpetually in a netherworld of vulnerability, dependent on us for everything that is of relevance to them. We have bred them to be compliant and servile, and to have characteristics that are pleasing to us, even though many of those characteristics are harmful to the animals involved. We might make them happy in one sense, but the relationship can never be ‘natural’ or ‘normal’. They do not belong in our world, irrespective of how well we treat them. This is more or less true of all domesticated non-humans. They are perpetually dependent on us. We control their lives forever. They truly are ‘animal slaves’. Some of us might be benevolent masters, but we really can’t be anything more than that.

Okay, right, think I’ve got that. Now try describing a football fan . . . . on second thoughts, maybe not. :mad:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I don't mind dogs, in fact I quite like dogs. It's dog people I hate. Not dog owners, dog people. You all know the difference.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Dogs are horrible. Mainly because of their owners.

They leave their poo on the pavements, they stick their nose & eat in your picnics, they harass & scare your children. They smell, leave their hair everywhere & consume 1/3 of the world's meat & therefore contribute to masses of co2 production & are responsible for global warming.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Don't mind a dog. Do mind owners who don't clear up behind them. Seems like round our way is a dog walkers paradise. 90% of owners do their duty with the little bags. The other 10% have a range of different techniques to ensure they don't have to pick up behind their 'best friend'. These range through:
I'm looking the other way at a distant object on the horizon
I'm taking a photo on my phone at the beautiful view
I'm taking a cardio walk and my dog is too far behind me to notice
I've let my dog run ahead and didn't see him do it
I'm chatting to my friend and didn't see him do it
I'm talking on my mobile and didn't see him do it

So it's a no from me.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Don't mind a dog. Do mind owners who don't clear up behind them. Seems like round our way is a dog walkers paradise. 90% of owners do their duty with the little bags. The other 10% have a range of different techniques to ensure they don't have to pick up behind their 'best friend'. These range through:
I'm looking the other way at a distant object on the horizon
I'm taking a photo on my phone at the beautiful view
I'm taking a cardio walk and my dog is too far behind me to notice
I've let my dog run ahead and didn't see him do it
I'm chatting to my friend and didn't see him do it
I'm talking on my mobile and didn't see him do it

So it's a no from me.

I confront them and offer them a bag. Never failed yet but at 6ft 5 and 17st it does help

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Dogs

They really are the best

I got a new pup this year and although he has driven me mad the last 8 months he is becoming a great friend, lifelong companion. So the hard work from 9 weeks on is paying off now

Do you have a Dog and share photos ?

Bobby has given me a new lease of life after my beloved Harry, another Golden Retriever died 6 years ago

Took me 5 years to get over that loss and have another

As I said Dogs really are so loyal and loving

Is it really six years since Harry passed, US? I remember you grieving for him like it was only yesterday. I’m pleased you’ve given a home to young Bobby. It was meant to be, you’re definitely someone who was made to give a dog a home.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Love dogs, other than anything with 'poo' in the name. Drives me spare.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't mind dogs, in fact I quite like dogs. It's dog people I hate. Not dog owners, dog people. You all know the difference.

Hate’s a strong word Mr V! What do dog people do to you to incur such wrath? I mean, are you constantly being asked to judge at Crufts and local fetes or something? How are they affecting your everyday life, these dog people (not owners)?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I confront them and offer them a bag. Never failed yet but at 6ft 5 and 17st it does help

I've got a dog, and even at 6'3 and (hopefully just under ) 14st a word in the shell still seems to do the trick . . . . .dogs shitting in our back yard is the gripe, everyone I see is so nice, but I can guess who's a lazy git and let's theirs shit in the dark!

Security cameras for Christmas!

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Speciesism

Domesticated animals are completely dependent on humans, who control every aspect of their lives. Unlike human children, who will one day become autonomous, non-humans never will. That is the entire point of domestication – we want domesticated animals to depend on us. They remain perpetually in a netherworld of vulnerability, dependent on us for everything that is of relevance to them. We have bred them to be compliant and servile, and to have characteristics that are pleasing to us, even though many of those characteristics are harmful to the animals involved. We might make them happy in one sense, but the relationship can never be ‘natural’ or ‘normal’. They do not belong in our world, irrespective of how well we treat them. This is more or less true of all domesticated non-humans. They are perpetually dependent on us. We control their lives forever. They truly are ‘animal slaves’. Some of us might be benevolent masters, but we really can’t be anything more than that.

Odd.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hate’s a strong word Mr V! What do dog people do to you to incur such wrath? I mean, are you constantly being asked to judge at Crufts and local fetes or something? How are they affecting your everyday life, these dog people (not owners)?

With all due respect, he has a point. The point being more about people, than dogs. Dogs, like most animals, are good creatures, until they get tainted by humans.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've got a dog, and even at 6'3 and (hopefully just under ) 14st a word in the shell still seems to do the trick . . . . .dogs shitting in our back yard is the gripe, everyone I see is so nice, but I can guess who's a
Any shit in the dark!

Security cameras for Christmas!

Or some English lessons? ???

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
With all due respect, he has a point. The point being more about people, than dogs. Dogs, like most animals, are good creatures, until they get tainted by humans.

I don’t know what a dog person is as opposed to a dog owner? But more intriguingly, how do such people impact his or her life to ‘hate’ em so much?

el punal

Dogs are horrible. Mainly because of their owners.

They leave their poo on the pavements, they stick their nose & eat in your picnics, they harass & scare your children. They smell, leave their hair everywhere & consume 1/3 of the world's meat & therefore contribute to masses of co2 production & are responsible for global warming.

Cat lover, are we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here