Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Attack

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
I have a staffie cross and she is gentle and friendly. Was abused as a pup and rescued her. She is 2-3 years old and love kids and adults. Always keep her on a lead as cats are a distraction that she chases.
Have had obedience classes and she is de-sexed and chipped etc. She was 2 hours from death at the pound, but so glad we could save her. People are right, dont assume they will never attack, look for signs to see if they are happy around the dogs and people near by and always keep them under control when out.

Simples

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why do people choose these breeds of dangerous dogs? There are hundreds of other breeds to choose from, 95% of which pose no threat. Choose one of them, ban the rest.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think I might have tracked down the guy with the staffie. Is this him ?

View attachment 56597

I honestly didn't know who that was in the photo :facepalm:here is a better picture of Casper :thumbsup:

image.jpg

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Why do people choose these breeds of dangerous dogs? There are hundreds of other breeds to choose from, 95% of which pose no threat. Choose one of them, ban the rest.

My mums Staffie was attacked by a Labrador last week, as it wanted to have the toy she was playing with.

So even the "nicer" breeds of dogs can be a threat.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
I own a much larger than average staff and he is a lovely dog. Soppy as anything, make him jump and he runs a mile. He is scared of our curtains and ironing board. That said, if he is outside of our house or garden he has a muzzle on 100% of the time. It should be the same with any animal capable of doing the kind of damage that staffs are. In my view it should be the law and those who don't abide should lose their dog or worse.

I walk through the Level every morning and evening on the way to and from work, and every day I see huge staffs amongst other breeds roaming free with no muzzles. It is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It makes no odds how friendly the owner claims their staffie is, if it does attack, because of its jaw it will literally crush bones. ****ing ugly, horrible moth eaten looking dogs anyway, why anyone would want one if those short arsed chav dogs waddling and snuffling around their gaff defies logic.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I own a much larger than average staff and he is a lovely dog. Soppy as anything, make him jump and he runs a mile. He is scared of our curtains and ironing board. That said, if he is outside of our house or garden he has a muzzle on 100% of the time. It should be the same with any animal capable of doing the kind of damage that staffs are. In my view it should be the law and those who don't abide should lose their dog or worse.

I walk through the Level every morning and evening on the way to and from work, and every day I see huge staffs amongst other breeds roaming free with no muzzles. It is a tragedy waiting to happen.

It's a shame so many staff owners aren't as sensible as you are.

It'd be a shame for a whole bread to be punished just because they're more often than not the dog of choice for morons.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Yes, soppy dogs, daft as a brush, brilliant with kids, you can poke their eyes and use their chocolate starfish as an ashtray and they wouldn't hurt you. It's the owners who cause all the problems going around shouting at other dogs and biting them, that gives the wrong example to their pets.
yeh right ho .....:tosser: maybe you should shove your head up the next choccy starfish you see.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My mums Staffie was attacked by a Labrador last week, as it wanted to have the toy she was playing with.

So even the "nicer" breeds of dogs can be a threat.

It's a valid point. All dogs have got teeth, they can all bite when they're scared and/or think they're in a situation where they've got to fight - but when you hear those 'devil dog savages child' stories it's never a cocker spaniel.

(Proud owner of one cocker, one toy poodle, one cavalier/shih tzu coss and three cavasoodle puppies).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
My father bred, showed and judged dogs for years. He knew every breed and their habits. He kept telling us that dogs are dangerous but some more than others. Never take them for granted.
He would always make particular reference to dogs bred historically for hunting and especially fighting and was staggered that people would risk having breeds like bull terriers around the home. It is in their nature to attack and they can turn from a loving pet to a vicious killer in seconds. My father talked about these breeds 40-50 years ago when there were far fewer around and most were kept undercover for fighting. Now they have become a status item. Insecure people with snarling threatening dog on chain. Don't come near me, I'm hard and so is my dog.
We've already read on this thread of many dog attacks just among NSC members and fatal attacks involving these breeds are regularly in the media. How many more young children are going to die before something is done. You cannot domesticate these types of dog. Its in their genes. They are conditioned to kill. Why do you think they have massive jaws and vicious teeth. Years ago, clever cross-breeding produced these animals, mixing mastiff with terrier with bulldog etc until the ultimate fighting machine evolved. It was big business, dog fighting, with huge sums being wagered ( still is in some places ) and only the meanest creatures won through. Nothing has changed in their make-up. They haven't suddenly gone all soft and cuddly. They are extremely dangerous and to be avoided at all costs.
Fair play for having a go. Too many people would have turned their backs on it. Its just a pity you didn't get the chance to reduce these ghastly numbers by one and teach the owner a lesson for crass stupidity and ignorance.
Every time I am out and an owner approaches with one of these dogs ( leashed or not ) I am on guard. Every sinew in my body is saying...' look out, be careful ' I make no secret of the fact that I always carry something in my pocket as a safeguard and I would use it without hesitation. Self-preservation comes first. My step-mother's dog was attacked by one of these breeds, fled in terror, persued by said animal and ran straight in front of a car and was killed. As my step-mother stood rooted to the spot, traumatised, the owner of the dog simply caught it, put it on a leash and walked away without a care in the world. No apology, nothing. Thats what our society has become. Rude, boorish and I'm alright Jack and f..k you.
At the very least muzzling should be enforced, with stiff fines for transgressors but I would do more. I would enforce a stringent licensing of all dogs classified as dangerous with an annual licence fee of at least £500. Anyone failing to comply would be liable to have the dog removed and destroyed ( just like a motor vehicle )
The streets, parks and walkways of this country need to be made safer.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
yeh right ho .....:tosser: maybe you should shove your head up the next choccy starfish you see.

When you next pull yours out you must tell me what it's like up there.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
It makes no odds how friendly the owner claims their staffie is, if it does attack, because of its jaw it will literally crush bones. ****ing ugly, horrible moth eaten looking dogs anyway, why anyone would want one if those short arsed chav dogs waddling and snuffling around their gaff defies logic.

Yep never trust anyone who says their pet is good with people.

"You'll be fine it loves it's belly being rubbed"

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

When I was on a cricket tour in Cape Town a few years back we visited a Cheetah sanctuary.
You could go and stroke the cubs and have your photo taken, or, you could get in with Joseph, a fully grown adult cheetah.

Well, I'm no pussy and was up for an audience with Joseph, the fact that we had just left our THIRD vineyard of wine tasting [and its rude to spit] may have had some bearing.

Our umpire, a very rotund chap in his 60s said he would do it too, and one of the other players. The umpire asked me was I scared? No, I replied, I've got my trainers on. You'll never outrun that Cheetah he said. I don't need to, I replied, I only need to outrun you. His tanned face went a grey shade of white.

Anyway, with a cautionary briefing from the keeper, in we all went.

Happy to say it was one of the most memorable and moving experiences of my life [way better than swimming with dolphins]. The beast never got up from his lying position and enjoyed a back rub from us all. Don't stroke his head the keeper said, he can bite one of your fingers off before you notice.

Dutch courage at its best - what a fantastic day !!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whilst I agree all dogs could bite, I'd say the chances of my cocker spaniel doing so are pretty remote: far less than say a Staffie or Suerez. But for me a main factor in the type of dog we'd have comes down to very simply: if that dog did attack, what are the chances of me being able to physically restrain it? And how comfortable, rightly or wrongly, do other people, particularly kids, feel in it's company? This is where breeds such as cockers will always win over a Staffie or Rottweiler no matter how placid particular pets are - they just make other people nervous including many seasoned dog owners.

One thing this story does reinforce in my mind is that a lot of chavy people need putting down before animals. World be a much nicer place without such lowlife as the OP experienced.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
When I was on a cricket tour in Cape Town a few years back we visited a Cheetah sanctuary.
You could go and stroke the cubs and have your photo taken, or, you could get in with Joseph, a fully grown adult cheetah.

Well, I'm no pussy and was up for an audience with Joseph, the fact that we had just left our THIRD vineyard of wine tasting [and its rude to spit] may have had some bearing.

Our umpire, a very rotund chap in his 60s said he would do it too, and one of the other players. The umpire asked me was I scared? No, I replied, I've got my trainers on. You'll never outrun that Cheetah he said. I don't need to, I replied, I only need to outrun you. His tanned face went a grey shade of white.

Anyway, with a cautionary briefing from the keeper, in we all went.

Happy to say it was one of the most memorable and moving experiences of my life [way better than swimming with dolphins]. The beast never got up from his lying position and enjoyed a back rub from us all. Don't stroke his head the keeper said, he can bite one of your fingers off before you notice.

Dutch courage at its best - what a fantastic day !!

:lolol:

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
My dad would never have a collie as a pet. He grew up on his grandfathers sheep farm on the downs and said collie's were on of the most vicious dogs he had ever come across. Always nipping at your ankles as at the end of the day that was what they were breed to do. Nip at ankles to herd the sheep.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

What a total idiot. I would NEVER get into a space with any dangerous animal in it, especially big cats. I don't care what these so called "experts" say about the animals they keep, NOBODY can predict what a wild animal will do, NOBODY. Most of these animal keepers end up being killed or seriously injured by their "pets" at some point.

"survived a fight with a lion"! Oh please. If that lion was serious he would have ripped his bloody throat out before anyone saw him coming.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
I’ve trained general dog obedience, as well as gundogs for a number of years, and I must admit, I’ve never had an issue with Staffies. That said, the people that bring them to training are responsible owners that understand the need for training, both for them and the dog. Staffies are very loyal, biddable dogs, and very easy to train, but they are powerful and can be aggressive in the wrong hands (as can any dog, from a mastiff to a toy poodle).

What amazes me is seeing the number of people who buy dogs, then farm them out to their kids to walk, with little training or indeed the strength to control even relatively small dogs. I’ve known dogs killed on roads that have got away from kids, or have been in fights where the kids haven’t read the signs theirs or another dog have given out and the results have been messy!

On another point, its rare for a dog to attack a human unprovoked. They give out a number signs that they are uncomfortable with a situation (panting, avoiding eye contact, ears back, licking lips etc), and want to be away from the situation as quick as possible. It is only when they can’t get away and are further provoked, that they deal with the situation the only way they can, with 40 odd quite sharp teeth! Many, many of the dog attacks, particularly on children will have resulted from provocation, much of it unintended and not known by the recipient, as they didn’t understand the signs the dog was giving off and continued to place the dog in situation it couldn’t deal with. There is an awful video on YouTube of a Yank toddler playing/pulling around, sitting/bouncing on an adult German Shepard, and the dog is giving all the signs of “I don’t like this situation”. You almost wanted the dog to bite, it was so ridiculous, but sadly had it reacted badly, it would have ended fatally for it (and maybe the toddler). Some people shouldn’t be allowed dogs or kids!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here