Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog Attack

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My sister bought a Staffie puppy 8 years ago, she has a 2 year old at the time and I was very dubious of her doing so having never really encountered them before.

But I was very wrong, "Missy" is the most gentle, and I have to say most lovably stupid dog I've ever met!

She is very protective of my sisters kids (all 3 of them now) but she is also extremely friendly, well trained, always does what she's told, and behaves. Of course there is an outside chance that she could turn on someone, I don't believe she ever will but you just don't know...

Generally it's the owners for not training correctly, but a dog still has that vicious streak that will never be bred out of them, and no amount of training will stop it if it decides to attack someone/another dog.

Although they can be loving and loyal pets I think everyone who has one should be complacent whilst in the ownership of one.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Well done for stepping in.. I think the problem is not the dogs but the owners. Any dog treated well and trained properly shouldn't be a problem. Some people now only own dogs a status symbol. Look how hard I am sort of thing. Wrong..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I don't think banning dogs is the right answer, that's like banning credit cards because some people commit fraud, or banning drinking because some people die from not being responsible. I don't think there is any real simple solution tbh, which is a shame, I've grown up with a staffie and a german shepherd, the staffy is her bitch in every way and he's male. If they're bought up correctly they're brilliant, I'd go so far as to say I trust him more than the big shepherd, although they're both great.

I think there is a really simple solution that is relatively easy to implement and police. All dogs in public should wear a muzzle. It's simple and effective and does no harm to the dog or any of the tens of thousands of people who are bitten each year.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I think there is a really simple solution that is relatively easy to implement and police. All dogs in public should wear a muzzle. It's simple and effective and does no harm to the dog or any of the tens of thousands of people who are bitten each year.

Or failing that, the owner gets the same sentence (ABH/GBH or whatever) that their dog inflicts as they would if they had committed the crime (on another person or dog).

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Was involved in a nasty/bizarre incident yesterday.Stopped at the lights at City college and noticed a 13/14year old coming round the corner with his Staffie dog off the lead,the dog shoots off and starts attacking a collie that was with a lady in her seventies,while I'm jumping out of the car three guys who were cutting trees were kicking and trying to get the dog off,I grabbed the staffies collar twisted it and lifted him up which thankfully resulted in the staffie letting go,I then grabbed the lead off the youth and
said too him keep the dog on the f***k**g lead, not proud of swearing but I was a bit hyped up.The lads reply was do you want a fight I ignored this comment and then asked one of the tree cutters to hold the lead while I moved my car.On returning I consoled the elderly lady and checked over the collie which amazingly only had a small puncture wound,while I'm doing this the youth starts kicking off when he is told the police have been called and the dog was being held until the police turn up,he strips off his t-shirt and starts threatening the tree cutter who was a huge black guy,the lad is joined by his mother causing such a scene that the guy gives up and let's the dog go, the youth leaving the with the dog off the lead.I left before the police turned up so don't know what resulted but I'm convinced the dog if left would have killed the collie.As I said a bizarre incident.

Glad I missed that. I would at best be out on bail now! :annoyed:

The cycle continues I'm afraid,all the time these ***** are allowed to have children there will always be no good spunk trumpets roaming the streets ,the staffie is just considered a weapon to these oxygen thieves!
Compulsory sterilisation (for the dogs aswel) is the only answer to clear our streets of this filth.
Almost goes without saying that society will never get a days work out of that boy and the **** that shat him out.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I then grabbed the lead off the youth and
said too him keep the dog on the f***k**g lead, not proud of swearing but I was a bit hyped up.

Shocking, nobody should have to listen to filth like that. And why did you have to mention the tree-cutter was black? ??? Maybe you need to sort out your own issues before you go poking your nose into other people's business.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
I was walking my particularly dim lab cross with another lab cross I was minding for the weekend, both on leads in the local park, when an American Bull Terrier - with the widest mouth I've ever seen on a dog - leapt out of some bushes and fastened its jaws around the visiting dog. To my surprise my own dog leapt in and forced the ABT away. When it's owner eventually appeared, sans lead, I asked him why he didn't keep his dog on a lead and got plenty of abuse. If dogs were still licensed (but now with visible ID on them) then none of this would happen

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Hmmm, all good and interesting. How abut this ....
I have a male Springer Spaniel - we had him at about 1 year old after his first owner was unable to look after him.
We took him to puppy training and learned that he his mostly nervous, particularly when in unfamiliar surroundings.
We got the basic, sit, wait, leave & come working when he was focused, but if distracted it all fell apart.
However, I have a regular walk I do with him and have done daily for about 4 years now.

He is fine with 80% of other dogs, but he goes into attack mode if the other dog is also and un-snipped male, regardless if its a big Alsatian or a small West Highland terrier. So when we are on this walk, I daren't let him off the lead as I never know who we might bump in to there are a couple of dogs he has previous with.

The vet says getting him snipped might reduce his alpha-male tendencies but there are no guarantees.

At home and in the garden he is the most lovable, playful, friendly dog. If a stranger calls, he will bark like mad for 2-3 minutes but once there is clearly no threat he settles down.

I'm 99.9% certain he would never bite another human being but he does have this urge for a scrap with other dogs - but only the other un-snipped males.

Does anyone else have any experience of such canine behavior?

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
My 12 year old Collie Cross has been set upon at least a handful of times. And when addressing the owner to enquire why their manic dog's not on a lead or muzzled, I get the same reply every time .... "He's never done that before".
The trouble is it's this minority that get responsible owners a bad name, same people without a doubt that leave poo all over the place. I've recently started picking up other dogs poo, which I don't enjoy. Just in case people behind think it was left by my dog. :annoyed: Is that paranoia or what ?

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
My 12 year old Collie Cross has been set upon at least a handful of times. And when addressing the owner to enquire why their manic dog's not on a lead or muzzled, I get the same reply every time .... "He's never done that before".
The trouble is it's this minority that get responsible owners a bad name, same people without a doubt that leave poo all over the place. I've recently started picking up other dogs poo, which I don't enjoy. Just in case people behind think it was left by my dog. :annoyed: Is that paranoia or what ?

Whilst walking my dogs I picked another dogs poo outside my kids school due to a combination of concern for kids stepping in it and paranoia. I felt the need to tell those watching me that it wasn't mine, and got some peculiar looks

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Put the owners down, 90% of the problem solved.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
they are great dogs when trained and controlled properly.....it's not the dog it's the ferking idiots who have them for the wrong reason...and this has been done befor so we won't be going off on a never-ending canine argy bargy thread will we...?? ..:moo:
Rubbish,... any dog can turn, the key difference being that when a pitbull type dog turns, the consequences are potentially life threatening,.... my whippet could give you a nip if it felt the need, but would barely leave a mark ( not that it would, it just runs and sleeps).

Owners do contribute though, I agree.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Whilst walking my dogs I picked another dogs poo outside my kids school due to a combination of concern for kids stepping in it and paranoia. I felt the need to tell those watching me that it wasn't mine, and got some peculiar looks

Yes, I can picture that... Pile of poo, you with bag in hand declaring ....... "It's not mine"! . :cool:

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
Shocking, nobody should have to listen to filth like that. And why did you have to mention the tree-cutter was black? ??? Maybe you need to sort out your own issues before you go poking your nose into other people's business.
Have you never been hyped up and sworn? so what if he says the tree cutter was black is that being offensive? Busy

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Have you never been hyped up and sworn? so what if he says the tree cutter was black is that being offensive? Busy

No I haven't, so **** off. Did he say what colour anybody else was in his story? Do we know what colour the dogs were? No. But the tree-cutter was black. This is EXACTLY how Nazi Germany started. I'm not overly busy at the moment but hopefully things will pick up soon. Thanks for asking.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
they are great dogs when trained and controlled properly.....it's not the dog it's the ferking idiots who have them for the wrong reason...and this has been done befor so we won't be going off on a never-ending canine argy bargy thread will we...?? ..:moo:

Yes, soppy dogs, daft as a brush, brilliant with kids, you can poke their eyes and use their chocolate starfish as an ashtray and they wouldn't hurt you. It's the owners who cause all the problems going around shouting at other dogs and biting them, that gives the wrong example to their pets.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Was involved in a nasty/bizarre incident yesterday.Stopped at the lights at City college and noticed a 13/14year old coming round the corner with his Staffie dog off the lead,the dog shoots off and starts attacking a collie that was with a lady in her seventies,while I'm jumping out of the car three guys who were cutting trees were kicking and trying to get the dog off,I grabbed the staffies collar twisted it and lifted him up which thankfully resulted in the staffie letting go,I then grabbed the lead off the youth and
said too him keep the dog on the f***k**g lead, not proud of swearing but I was a bit hyped up.The lads reply was do you want a fight I ignored this comment and then asked one of the tree cutters to hold the lead while I moved my car.On returning I consoled the elderly lady and checked over the collie which amazingly only had a small puncture wound,while I'm doing this the youth starts kicking off when he is told the police have been called and the dog was being held until the police turn up,he strips off his t-shirt and starts threatening the tree cutter who was a huge black guy,the lad is joined by his mother causing such a scene that the guy gives up and let's the dog go, the youth leaving the with the dog off the lead.I left before the police turned up so don't know what resulted but I'm convinced the dog if left would have killed the collie.As I said a bizarre incident.

I think I might have tracked down the guy with the staffie. Is this him ?

10533284_349234595201851_2094310862_n.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here