Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Does this quote for plastering job sound reasonable?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Depends what you mean by useless. Just because a degree does not lead to a profession does not necessarily mean it is invalid; this is a rather anti-intellectual view in my opinion.
Anti intellectual? On NSC? I don't think so! 😂

It's a double edged sword really, Maths or English are universally useful, but there are others which are so supremely specifically daft they can only lend themselves to a specific career. Obviously Art is just fun for the wealthy, no one needs culture.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Anti intellectual? On NSC? I don't think so! 😂

It's a double edged sword really, Maths or English are universally useful, but there are others which are so supremely specifically daft they can only lend themselves to a specific career. Obviously Art is just fun for the wealthy, no one needs culture.

They have Brewing and Distilling in that list.
Universities are not there to generally teach you a job they are their to teach you how to learn….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sounds about right . Most plasterers seem to charge around £500 a day labour if they are good . Yes it’s skilful in terms of you probably need a few months practice before you get good . However it’s still a lot of money for someone with no degree and it hasn’t taken him a 4-5 year study course to become a plasterer .
Many years ago someone on NSC accused me of being hoity toity.

1691002337043.png

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a similar experience. I don’t think my views are particularly generalised but I don’t change my views on stuff simply because of social media pressure or PC culture
Not generalized?
From memory you’ve said.

1) Worthing is full of OAPs
2) Germany reminds you of the nazis
3) Plastering can be learnt in 2 months.
4) Brighton is full of students.

:lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
They have Brewing and Distilling in that list.
Universities are not there to generally teach you a job they are their to teach you how to learn….

My mate `Professor P. was a Dr, now a prof. He's been learning for 50 years now, they must have taught him well as he's still learning, and they pay him to teach, and learn. It's like the magic roundabout at his house . . .although that was 30 years ago.

I digress 🙄

I get bored of learning after a while and have to go and try/practice. I've practiced some things a lot and, I've failed. Several times. Sometimes I persevere then do more learning, and have even been known to succeed on occaision.

Many years ago someone on NSC accused me of being hoity toity.

View attachment 164422
Only your close friends can call you 'Ermintrude' 😉

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK. I've had a bit to drink so politely ask for clarification here. What is the difference if working for a company?
The artisans who built my extension were on salary (a small company with a boss and two employees). It's what happens when you have a successful firm, doing classy jobs that may feature on their website, and, er, that.

I am very happy with my extension built in 18*, but I paid probably £50K over the odds. In other words £100 K less than what it would cost now. And the plastering is sensational.

*This is the first time I have ever seen a year in this century abbreviated to the last two digits. Spooky. Are we about to cross a rubicon, or have I gone early?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I had to swear to drown out the noise of your coughing as you tried and failed to reach the high notes singing along to Elton John
Sorry, but I just laughed so hard at that I blew my left testicle out my backside.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
Sounds about right. Back in 2005 it was £250-300 a room when I had my house done. Everyone who is clued up knows that builders make more money than Doctors. But Doctors go home and read more books and builders go out on the beer.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here