Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Does this quote for plastering job sound reasonable?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Late 40’s ! Most of my friends that have done well or quite well all have that in common ie degrees

i know it sounds really expensive and more than i could afford ( i currently have 4 rooms which do need plastering after extensive electrical works) . however, if you watch a few YouTube videos how professional plasterers work, they apply at least 3 coats which take time to dry. Hence, job quote all day long. dont want to be paying the £80 an hour while they wait for the last coats to dry.
Also based on experience, make sure they provide insurance cover for at least 12 months. ive been victim of rushed jobs, plaster not binding and coming loose after 6 months. Ther'es plenty of stories of tradesmen charging more to make themselves sound professional. after all if the said they would do the lot for £300 quid ("yeah mate its only a few hours work per room" - had that before.) then you should be very suspicious.

Have you tried TrustATrader or one of the online job quoting services. ?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
That surprises me.
It's interesting that someone as young as their 40's still sees an over inflated value in a university degree In something useless like media studies or pet philosophy.
Quite. I do know of a degree qualified plasterer thinking about it. There are a lot of useless degrees out there. A good plasterer can earn well. As long as the shoulder holds up.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Quite. I do know of a degree qualified plasterer thinking about it. There are a lot of useless degrees out there. A good plasterer can earn well. As long as the shoulder holds up.
All the plasterers that I know, graduated from the university of life and the school of hard knocks .😁
However, I have worked with a carpenter who had a business degree, and a site labourer with a degree in geology.

Last edited:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I don’t think useless degrees are worth studying for . Only ones that you need for a specific career .

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Depends what you mean by useless. Just because a degree does not lead to a profession does not necessarily mean it is invalid; this is a rather anti-intellectual view in my opinion.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Late 40’s ! Most of my friends that have done well or quite well all have that in common ie degrees
Have you been to university or have you always existed in your own bubble?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went to university back home .
In this case I am genuinely surprised by your incredibly generlised views on most topics. One thing university did for me, due to meeting and mixing with people from all manner of backgrounds and locations, was open my eyes to how different the world and it's people can be.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
In this case I am genuinely surprised by your incredibly generlised views on most topics. One thing university did for me, due to meeting and mixing with people from all manner of backgrounds and locations, was open my eyes to how different the world and its people can be.
I had a similar experience. I don’t think my views are particularly generalised but I don’t change my views on stuff simply because of social media pressure or PC culture

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I was a little taken aback by this, as £200 per day/£1000 pw/£52k pa is a fairly high salary in my book. Therefore i'm assuming that tradespeople working for companies are not full time employees, but contractors potentially working a lot less days over the year?
I was offered a PAYE job 2 years back and the pay was less than £200 per day, this was also 9 hours for 5 days.
I didn’t take this job but did look at vacancies out of curiosity, £200 PD wasn’t on offer in Sussex for a PAYE job, but company van, holiday pay, phone etc was offered.
You are correct, some trades are sub contractors working for companies, I have done this in the past but would definitely not do this now for less than £200 PD

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agree. I can categorically state that I am not able to paint or decorate even to a half decent standard and this comes from repeated attempts over the years and also with a father who was very handy with this profession and incredibly handy around the house. It's a skill, one I do not have and one I have not been able to gain even though I have wanted to.

I can do the loud music and swearing though.
…f*** off I’ve had to put up with the Donkeycentrehalfs foul language all day.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here