[Help] Does this quote for plastering job sound reasonable?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Newly qualified doctors don’t own a business.

You seem to have issues with trades people, the trades earning good money have their own business which means many overheads.
Trades that work for companies don’t earn anywhere near £500 per day, some not even £200

I actually did 4 years training to get the plumbing qualifications I’ve got, 1 long day a week at college and 4 days working.
I was a little taken aback by this, as £200 per day/£1000 pw/£52k pa is a fairly high salary in my book. Therefore i'm assuming that tradespeople working for companies are not full time employees, but contractors potentially working a lot less days over the year?

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
However boring it is always get more than one quote. We had most of our Artex ceilings skimmed (4 beds, hall and landing and sitting room) plus some wall plaster-boarding and plastering in one room and were quoted £2,600 by one company. We had another guy recommended to us who quoted £200 per day plus materials and said it would take him around 7 days. In the end he did it in 4 days so we asked if he could paint the ceilings which he did, and in all it cost us £1,500 including materials. High quality work also. We were lucky that we found someone so good who was very reasonable.

kjgood

Hi folks. Looking to have 3 bedrooms walls and ceilings plastered. The walls are in reasonable condition whilst the ceilings are artexed. Job is to also make good any cracks in walls which really shouldn't be many.

Room dimensions with all heights 2.2m

Bedroom 1
4.24m x 2.87m
1 door

Bedroom 2
3.89m x 2.92m
1 door

Bedroom 3
3.23m x 2.82m
1 door

For cash I've been quoted £1700 for 2 days work and it includes all materials (sealant, bags of plaster and corner edges)

Being a DIY numpty I've no idea whether this sounds reasonable and I'm keen to get the job soon. Thoughts please.

Alternatively, any plasterers in the Eastbourne area able to pop round and give me a quote sharpish?

And before anyone asks. ' it's not a 5 minute job ' and I've tried ' turning it on and off again '

:LOL: :thumbsup:
I'd be looking for about £1,200 - £1,300 if the work was being done for me, but be wary good plasterers dont come cheap

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was a little taken aback by this, as £200 per day/£1000 pw/£52k pa is a fairly high salary in my book. Therefore i'm assuming that tradespeople working for companies are not full time employees, but contractors potentially working a lot less days over the year?
No that’s full time for a company, If I price a bigger job I allow £400 a day smaller jobs hourly rate.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hi folks. Looking to have 3 bedrooms walls and ceilings plastered. The walls are in reasonable condition whilst the ceilings are artexed. Job is to also make good any cracks in walls which really shouldn't be many.

Bedroom 1
4.24m x 2.87m
1 door

Bedroom 2
3.89m x 2.92m
1 door

Bedroom 3
3.23m x 2.82m
1 door

For cash I've been quoted £1700 for 2 days work and it includes all materials (sealant, bags of plaster and corner edges)

Being a DIY numpty I've no idea whether this sounds reasonable and I'm keen to get the job soon. Thoughts please.

Alternatively, any plasterers in the Eastbourne area able to pop round and give me a quote sharpish?

And before anyone asks. ' it's not a 5 minute job ' and I've tried ' turning it on and off again '

If you can hold on, I've builder contacts in Eastbourne. I'll get hold of a number and pm you.

With the economy work is tailing off, this isn't the scenario of 18 months ago where trades could quote very high and not be particularly bothered if some turned them down.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Sounds about right . Most plasterers seem to charge around £500 a day labour if they are good . Yes it’s skilful in terms of you probably need a few months practice before you get good . However it’s still a lot of money for someone with no degree and it hasn’t taken him a 4-5 year study course to become a plasterer .
There’s a f***ing chronic shortage of skilled trades in this country and it’s getting worse as blokes in their late 50s get off the tools for good. Any really top, trustworthy artisan is a result of good training, mentoring and years of on-the-job experience. The majority of twats I know and have worked with had degrees from top Russell group unis together with good private school educations. I’d rather give an artisan £2000 a day than piss on some of those ****s. Sorry ‘bout the rant - touched a nerve😂

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Tradesmen are charging double at the moment, if thety can get away with it. I was quoted nearly £10k to re do a double garage roof recently!

if you go @ a day a room @ £300 a day and a ton in materials, a grand seems like a sensible starting price, with a bit of margin for a snazzy van, say £1250 tops . . . .

I had a ceiling in a 16m2 room plastered over ( artex, with a little coving and small repair, he did it in an afternoon, we had beers before 5. £180 for cash

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Sounds about right . Most plasterers seem to charge around £500 a day labour if they are good . Yes it’s skilful in terms of you probably need a few months practice before you get good . However it’s still a lot of money for someone with no degree and it hasn’t taken him a 4-5 year study course to become a plasterer .
What a load of absolute bollocks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's not a salary though is it?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
There’s a f***ing chronic shortage of skilled trades in this country and it’s getting worse as blokes in their late 50s get off the tools for good. Any really top, trustworthy artisan is a result of good training, mentoring and years of on-the-job experience. The majority of twats I know and have worked with had degrees from top Russell group unis together with good private school educations. I’d rather give an artisan £2000 a day than piss on some of those ****s. Sorry ‘bout the rant - touched a nerve😂
It's not just the shortage of trades it's that years gone by people would do a lot more themselves but since the movement to send everyone to get pissed for a few years, sorry university, few people are capable of anything that needs an ounce of trade/diy skills. Many threads on here make me laugh at the lack of common sense.

Years ago people couldn't afford to pay for someone to do their repairs etc. About the only thing I'd not attempt in a major way is plastering, a good one is worth his salt.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I agree you do need to be qualified in something useful or you shouldn’t expect a big salary .

Speaking the Kings English is reassuring to many people as it’s a sign of good breeding ( apparently ) and that gives reassurance especially with a pilot flying a plane when you hear the voice !

However that doesn’t mean you are better at your job obviously. However in England first impressions do count .
I’m simply comparing salaries to the amount of time and training required to get to the standard needed. I’m not picking on plasterers specifically just anyone that hasn’t done 4-5 years course / training shouldn’t expect to earn £500 a day in their chosen field .

Newly qualified doctors for instance don’t

Are you very old, or very much behind the times?

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

Bedroom 1
4.24m x 2.87m
1 door

Bedroom 2
3.89m x 2.92m
1 door

Bedroom 3
3.23m x 2.82m
1 door

Works out at £1,200

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What a load of absolute bollocks.
Agree. I can categorically state that I am not able to paint or decorate even to a half decent standard and this comes from repeated attempts over the years and also with a father who was very handy with this profession and incredibly handy around the house. It's a skill, one I do not have and one I have not been able to gain even though I have wanted to.

I can do the loud music and swearing though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports