Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you worry ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Someone once said to me that if everyone in the world were to throw all their troubles in the air, you would be extremely grateful if you were only to catch your own :smile:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
As I hurtle through my 50’s I’ve taken to worrying about everything that’s out there. I’ve never been a worrier but now every morning its like I’m presented with a mental list of things from getting our roof sorted to financing next years holiday to whether we continue with a back three against Spurs.
I mentioned the financial bit to my wife who said , “Stop worrying about money you could be dead next year”
Now that really made me stop worrying.

Just a thought mate but maybe nearing retirement, mortgage paid, is this sorted blah blah i guess the older you get the less window you have to be sorted financially and stuff. Stab in the dark

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
All the time.

I worry about the safety of my job, about the intense feeling of imposter syndrome, about being able to provide for kids I don't yet have, whether what I'm doing is what I should be doing with my life, that I'm wasting time playing video games, that I should be pursuing my dream of writing, that I drink too much, that I eat too unhealthily, that my living space is full of shit I don't want or need and on and on and on and on.

I'm 34 FFS and it's felt recently like I'm smack in the middle of an early onset midlife crisis.

Are we the same person?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really don’t think I’ve ever worried about anything in my life.
Never worried about money, even when I was younger and things were tight, bringing up a family, having to work 60-70 hours a week to get by, starting my own business in my 40s, trying to keep it going during the crash, and some months only just making the rent etc.
Serious health concerns over the last 12 years or so, one of which should have killed me, and, tried repeatedly to succeed over the next 10 years, 60 odd cardiac arrests, sometimes 3 a night. Then, when our wonderful NHS stopped that malarkey, a positive cancer diagnosis, that I am hopefully clear off.
I don’t think I’ve lost a minutes sleep worrying, I just don’t, my wife, on the other hand, worries about everything.

I just think, if it happens, it happens.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Roll a fat one and chill.

As an engineer, I'm inherently inclined to agree with Darwin and science.

Having done some R&D, tests, and recorded results, my conclusions are that you're advice is good, even a single skinner has proven benefits.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I find myself worrying about far too many things I can do little or nothing about. Usually at 3.30 in the morning which is dark, cold, alone, and a real pest.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I worry about Mankind and the trajectory it is on. We are renting this planet but continue to daily rape it of it's sources and wipe out legions of animal species ruining the delecate eco system. It does not affect me as I will be a headstone before it really comes home to roost as it already is so most of all I worry for people born now or under 20 as their world could be very different and catastrophic. 7 billion of us are barely sustainable, 15 billion in 50 years would break it. Thankfully the younger generation are uprising and challenging middle aged and older people now for change who have abjectly failed this planet and all that live on it. The hope is they will change things, they have to

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
To be fair I don’t have children. And my extended family is the wife and just my brother and father. They’re all okay. All the while they are, so am I. And I certainly don’t worry about the Albion.

Blimey and I thought I had a tiny family. It’s not much bigger to be fair, and sadly will get smaller in the next few days. What we don’t have in terms of size though, we certainly make up for in quality. Couldn’t asked for a better brother, well, not from Poundland anyway in case he’s reading...:O

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I try not to think too much really, as all that will appear is imagery of catastrophe, or being the opposite of how i want to think or be - why in blue heavens am i in bed with a glazed moose, for instance, my face semi-pummelled and lashed by two huge glistening nuts (that was the thought i just had when opening the mental door and peering in). I can handle the absurd - if not moose nuts, from experience - but the worst outcomes of reality i try to stay away from. At present, my son and his mum are in Spain, staying with his abuela. If i allowed the simmering thoughts of it to come to the fore it would all be them not returning, being happy in Spain, which is great, but me not being and moving into some studio flat somewhere with a tv for company and general blankness of existence.

I’d worry what tv it was

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All excellent advice, thanks :thumbsup:

Writing is something I'm trying to do in my spare time as a hobby ostensibly to replace video games. Used to love it as a kid / teen but just stopped in my early twenties.

Great news! Try to set some time a side tomorrow for thirty minutes to think about a goal then make a plan. Specific. Measurable. Achievable. Realistic and a Timeline. You’ll know what approach works for you. I wish I had made a concentrated effort to improve my writing, though I still love language and the art of articulation. It’s a real craft and I admire lots of skilled writing whether journalism, academic, fact or fiction. NSC has some fine writers, past and present, the expressive nature of some jottings down the years have been bard-esque! Certainly those written for ‘comical effect’, probably of them all, NSC has contributed plenty to English literature in this category.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I really don’t think I’ve ever worried about anything in my life.
Never worried about money, even when I was younger and things were tight, bringing up a family, having to work 60-70 hours a week to get by, starting my own business in my 40s, trying to keep it going during the crash, and some months only just making the rent etc.
Serious health concerns over the last 12 years or so, one of which should have killed me, and, tried repeatedly to succeed over the next 10 years, 60 odd cardiac arrests, sometimes 3 a night. Then, when our wonderful NHS stopped that malarkey, a positive cancer diagnosis, that I am hopefully clear off.
I don’t think I’ve lost a minutes sleep worrying, I just don’t, my wife, on the other hand, worries about everything.

I just think, if it happens, it happens.

Superb post. Puts an awful lot in perspective.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I'm over 60 now and my attitude is "something will turn up "when things go a bit pear shaped.
So just enjoy your life and don't worry about the past as you can't change history.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I worry that Guy Fawkes MkII has lost his way and completely missed where he was meant to be heading for.

I worry that when he finally gets there he will royally f**k it up, just like before.

Don't worry about the 5th November Guy, anytime soon will do just fine.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I worry all the bloody time.

I worry about my son, who at nearly 26 has never done a days work in his life and appears hell bent on breaking the Guinness Book of Records record for how quickly you can blow a 100k inheritance.

I worry for my daughter, who has invested her share of the inheritance in property, and now, at nearly 23 has all the responsibilities that brings, at the same time as bringing up her toddler.

I worry about my grandkids, who live with us, and how they are going to fair in life. Both are super naive and open for abuse, of any kind, when I’m not around to protect them

I worry about our latest addition to the family, our Little Man, who at 3 years of age has to combat with a triple attack on his brain capabilities, with foetal alcohol syndrome, a chromosomal condition and autism, all leaving him profoundly disadvantaged.

I worry about my wife, who has recently been diagnosed with a “mass” on her bowel, and is convinced she is going to die. - I tell her everything will be ok, but I worry about how I would cope without her, my soul mate and my rock.

I used to worry about losing my hair and putting on a bit of weight, but strangely it doesn’t seem that important anymore.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Frankie Boyle (to front row member of audience): Do you worry about the future?
Audience member: *Nods*
Frankie Boyle: You should worry about the future. In fact you should especially worry about the next few minutes which I'm going to make particularly uncomfortable for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here