Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you worry ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think I'm the opposite actually. I've just turned 48 and I want to cram as much into what's left as I can and I'm happy to take risks.

There is a balance though, particularly when you have others depending on you, particularly kids.

I guess I'm broadly "live for today" with a little bit of caution.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If you look after your health, finances and are not too reliant on other people then you have little to worry about. Control what you can, don't worry about what you can't.

I'd also add there is a difference between being concerned about something and being worried about it. Worrying is such a negative use of mental energy and it saps the soul.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I worry that because most of my family have died and i don't have children, I will be quickly forgotten about when I die. Daft thing to concern myself with.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You are, 34 is midlife crisis time, like being peak grumpy old man isn’t 65 but 40. I was the same. Im still grumpy mind ;) There’s a lot to be grumpy about! As for imposter. It’s normal. Effects CEOs and Road sweepers alike. Enjoy eating and drinking unhealthy for another 5-6 years and then make moderations. Be easier because your friends will too in all likelihood. Do exercise alongside though. But yes, you are too old for video games equally though if you enjoy...everything in moderation. Get some animals into your life if you can, nature and the outside world is the cure all I’ve found with age. And write as a hobby, don’t set yourself a goal to write for a living that’s too much pressure. Very very few manage it. The odds are slimmer than making it as a pro footballer. But you might get lucky by doing as a hobby with a blog, a guest article writer and so forth on, Linked In etc. Definitely encourage you to do that, just don’t start by thinking you need to focus 100 percent effort on in order to achieve.

All excellent advice, thanks :thumbsup:

Writing is something I'm trying to do in my spare time as a hobby ostensibly to replace video games. Used to love it as a kid / teen but just stopped in my early twenties.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Anxiety is something that affects many millions and often increases with age.

While the truth is there are only two reasons in life for anxiety

1. The things you can do something about
2. The things you can not do something about

With that in mind concentrate on the things you can do something about eating healthy, drinking less, exercise more, enjoying the good things in life blue sky's, ensuring those you love in turn love you for your kindness reliability and honesty, enjoy the Albion playing football, sort your finances out look to the future and if your finances don't match your requirements plan a life that does match.

As for the things you can't do anything about well they are or are not going to happen and you worrying about them won't make a bit of difference

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I worry about my longevity.

Knowing my luck I've still got decades ahead of me.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I try not to think too much really, as all that will appear is imagery of catastrophe, or being the opposite of how i want to think or be - why in blue heavens am i in bed with a glazed moose, for instance, my face semi-pummelled and lashed by two huge glistening nuts (that was the thought i just had when opening the mental door and peering in). I can handle the absurd - if not moose nuts, from experience - but the worst outcomes of reality i try to stay away from. At present, my son and his mum are in Spain, staying with his abuela. If i allowed the simmering thoughts of it to come to the fore it would all be them not returning, being happy in Spain, which is great, but me not being and moving into some studio flat somewhere with a tv for company and general blankness of existence.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I worried about my health until it seriously let me down, but I recovered from that. I worried about losing my job until I lost it but then I got a different one. I worried about money but plenty of people are worse off than me and probably always will be.

But Albion's problems scoring goals .... oh dear.

You always look very worried when we're on the same side on a Sunday morning, and I'm on the ball near our goal!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I worry that because most of my family have died and i don't have children, I will be quickly forgotten about when I die. Daft thing to concern myself with.

It's true of the trillions of humans who have lived on this earth very few lived a life that was remembered beyond their immediate family and even then only for a very short period of time siblings children and grandchildren combined lives may only span 50 years after an individual's own death then like almost everyone they will be forgotten.

So either forget about it like 99.9% of humanity has or do something about it why not write a book, start a revolution, invent, make art, do good works, if your legacy is important to you try and do something about it if nothing else it will take your mind off worrying about not being remembered

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's true of the trillions of humans who have lived on this earth very few lived a life that was remembered beyond their immediate family and even then only for a very short period of time siblings children and grandchildren combined lives may only span 50 years after an individual's own death then like almost everyone they will be forgotten.

So either forget about it like 99.9% of humanity has or do something about it why not write a book, start a revolution, invent, make art, do good works, if your legacy is important to you try and do something about it if nothing else it will take your mind off worrying about not being remembered

It's not something that consumes me that much. But thanks :lolol:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Constantly, not helped one iota by Brexit. The two things that help for me are exercise and meditation (headspace).

I’ve used Headspace... It’s. sry good if you can roll with it but I worried about the price after the free lessons. Then I worried that maybe I should use the woman’s voice occasionally.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Only thing I genuinely worry about is my kids, their health and safety.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I’ve used Headspace... It’s. sry good if you can roll with it but I worried about the price after the free lessons. Then I worried that maybe I should use the woman’s voice occasionally.

I find the woman's voice irritating - though the man sounds a bit like Moz from the IT Crowd.

It's half price with Spotify premium so I have both.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
in your 50's one wakes up to the fact that life really is getting on. regardless of how you feel, you can look at the date and realise that your life is 3/4 over..... that is a bummer !

But you get through it . 50's turn to 60's and now in my 70's I don't give a damn any more. I have had my threescore-and-ten so everything else is a bonus. even though I can't do what I used to, I do what I can ....

When the Albion start winning life will be even better !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Yes and no (I'm 53).......I worry quite a bit about what I see as important (health, family, kids - my father is very ill, my sister died last year at 42), but much, much less so now about things I can't control or do too much about (work, mostly - won't be there too much longer I doubt so no point stressing about it at all) or things that aren't REALLY important (Albion, my golf handicap, running times etc - they're all hobbies and not life or death - any worry or anger re things like that is quite fleeting).

I use perspective a lot - ie ask myself what's the worst thing that could happen. From a work perspective, even the very worst thing really isn't that bad so it's easy to manage the thinking around it (wish I'd felt the same 20 years ago). Even travel doesn't piss me off too much - today was a case in point - rocked up at the station at 5.55am only to find all trains to London Bridge were diverted or cancelled. I just walked home again and am working from here - no point getting narked about it as it won't change anything.

And a fine job working from home, you’re clearly doing

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I worry about my longevity.

Knowing my luck I've still got decades ahead of me.

Now there’s a real worry Stat..... The thought of you posting your inane drivel on here for another 30 years.

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
Regarding the playing too much video games, I conversely worried too much about a lot of things, work, life etc. I started playing a game 4 years ago on the phone and ipad. I play it last thing at night then go to bed thinking of strategy, upgrades and plans rather than more important stuff in real life which I couldn't change anyway.

I sleep better than ever before.

Perhaps I am just older and more relaxed, perhaps I actually have less worries, perhaps it easier being single now my wife has left me...............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here