Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think we'll get a loan striker in by the weekend?

Will we sign a loan striker in time to play on Saturday?

• Total voters

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
I am finding it a little bizarre, that this is still on going.
We ended last season knowing we needed forward cover, and still nothing.

It certainly makes me wonder what constraints David Burke and his team are working under.

I completely agree with this - the striker cover has been an issue for at least 2 years since Hoskins got inured in 2011, then CMS- this is not something that has crept up on the Albion. We appear to have always been short of striker cover. Ulloa was seen as the solution - but no shite he got injured. I think this is ultimately poor management by the club.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Who cares? If the club can't be bothered to address our serious lack of strikers in SEVEN MONTHS why should any of us get worked up about it? Ever since Barnes got sent off at Bolton in March we've played the majority of our matches with one fit striker. That included a crucial play-off run-in, so if the club didn't deem that period important enough to invest in reinforcements I very much doubt they see the current situation as a problem. It's actually beyond a joke, and all we hear is nonsense about needing the "right type" of player. **** that, just get someone who can score a goal. It'll be season over by the end of November if you don't.

I completely agree with you (again)!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I would LOVE the 75% of people who voted no to be proven wrong, sad to see the amount of people who dont have faith in the club these days......

I to find it sad, but I do think people have been fed so much bull in the past about signings about to happen and have not happened, that the poll is reflecting what faith the fans do have.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Still don't see why we don't give our own youngsters a chance. Barker and Dickenson have been with the DS for a few years now so they know our style of play, they've trained with the first team so the "bedding in" period would be minimal and I'd imagine their fitness would be pretty decent. I know they probably won't be prolific but are we really going to get a 20 goal a season loan striker? Of course not because any striker that can bang that many in a season at championship level has either been snatched up by another championship side or being used as a bench warmer at a PL club.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
with the crowds they get
tell me how many do we get at the Amex?
does not compute
does not compute
Its all about the numbers , we've got Andrews , Ward and Conway on loan whilst Donny have Macheda , Khumalo and Wabara on loan deals. It only takes Man City and Spurs to subsidise part of the wages and the outlay becomes less than what we're forking out every week.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Dickenson is not a striker, wide man really with pace, but could possible playy off Barnes. Barker in my opinion is not good enough at this level.Conway could playoff Barnes maybe. I assume club won't be held to ransom, over wages and definite starter.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Barker (2) and Dickenson scored for the reserves in the 3-3 draw with Crawley this morning.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It is such an important position that although I understand the logic in bringing in the right player, I think we need to take a gamble if we can't get the ideal player. Tumbling down the league is the alternative IMO. I'd be worried about going to Yeovil even if we did have choices upfront, just the sort of game Albion lose regardless. A defeat on Saturday will be a mini disaster IMO. The club, appearing to be dragging it's feet will only aggravate the reaction from fans.

I'm afraid l'm forced to agree. Goals win games, and we need to start scoring again. Hence my perhaps overly drastic suggestion on another thread that if we can't find anybody suitable to bring in, then we experiment by pushing big Rohan Ince up front just to try to get on the end of crosses. ok ok l know plenty of you will shoot me down in flames, but that after all was how Adam Virgo made his name as a temporary striker. He wasn't much older than Rohan and it didn't seem to affect his development as a centre-half. He bagged us a good few goals in our time of need. Just as a temporary measure of course until Leo, CMS et al return from injury.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm afraid l'm forced to agree. Goals win games, and we need to start scoring again. Hence my perhaps overly drastic suggestion on another thread that if we can't find anybody suitable to bring in, then we experiment by pushing big Rohan Ince up front just to try to get on the end of crosses. ok ok l know plenty of you will shoot me down in flames, but that after all was how Adam Virgo made his name as a temporary striker. He wasn't much older than Rohan and it didn't seem to affect his development as a centre-half. He bagged us a good few goals in our time of need. Just as a temporary measure of course until Leo, CMS et al return from injury.

If you're going to do that, you may as well use a proper striker from the development squad to give him proper match experience. And that is preferable to bringing in another jobbing loanee like Paynter or indeed Conway, who has no interest in even being here.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
My problem with this, is how many strikers do people want in a squad when we generally only play one? Strikers command the highest wages and the good ones are in the highest demand, so how many can we afford to pay to watch from the sidelines whilst one plays 75 minutes and another for the last 15? We're hugely unlucky to have so many forwards injured at the same time, but this is a freak injury crisis you can't really plan for. Come January when we have Ulloa, CMS, Barnes, Hoskins and possibly a loanee available, people will be moaning we're wasting wages on whoever's not playing. Barker/Dickenson have only had 3 or 4 minute cameos, why not give them a chance for a full game or two? Dunk proved himself when we had to turn to him, so did Caskey, and now Ince this season. Maybe they'll fall short but we won't know until we give them a proper go.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
My problem with this, is how many strikers do people want in a squad when we generally only play one? Strikers command the highest wages and the good ones are in the highest demand, so how many can we afford to pay to watch from the sidelines whilst one plays 75 minutes and another for the last 15? We're hugely unlucky to have so many forwards injured at the same time, but this is a freak injury crisis you can't really plan for. Come January when we have Ulloa, CMS, Barnes, Hoskins and possibly a loanee available, people will be moaning we're wasting wages on whoever's not playing. Barker/Dickenson have only had 3 or 4 minute cameos, why not give them a chance for a full game or two? Dunk proved himself when we had to turn to him, so did Caskey, and now Ince this season. Maybe they'll fall short but we won't know until we give them a proper go.

This is true. Not sure that Barker is the answer, but we haven't even seen Ben Dickenson yet. Give him a try, see how he does.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think it'll happen. We've expressed the need and when such a statement is made it leads me to believe that action is just around the corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here