Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think we'll get a loan striker in by the weekend?

Will we sign a loan striker in time to play on Saturday?

• Total voters

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
And his name is (scroll down):

Stephen Ward

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Do you think those constraints have altered since the start of the loan transfer window. Burke promised the fans early signings within this window and how he had list of players lined up. What do you think has changed then?

I assume you havent read the Argus article today then ?

In it, it says that PL clubs are trying to make us pay 100% of the wages and that we must start the player every game, regardless of form. Why should we be held to ransom against these clubs ? It is these PL clubs which have meant we havent got a striker on yet.

That and the later you get the striker, the later the date the player would have to return.

I would LOVE the 75% of people who voted no to be proven wrong, sad to see the amount of people who dont have faith in the club these days......

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton

In it, it says that PL clubs are trying to make us pay 100% of the wages and that we must start the player every game, regardless of form. Why should we be held to ransom against these clubs ? It is these PL clubs which have meant we havent got a striker on yet.

That and the later you get the striker, the later the date the player would have to return.

I would LOVE the 75% of people who voted no to be proven wrong, sad to see the amount of people who dont have faith in the club these days......

So all he was quoted as saying at the start of the window was hot air then?
Are you telling me that he had a list of players he could bring in on loan without finding out availability, cost to club or the terms that maybe asked by the parent club. Then he certainly worked hard collating that list then didn't he.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Are you telling me that he had a list of players he could bring in on loan without finding out availability, cost to club or the terms that maybe asked by the parent club. Then he certainly worked hard collating that list then didn't he.

Scouts find players, they weigh up whether a player will fit into the team - THEN you make an offer and then you find out that the PL club is being twattish. The players clearly are available for loan, hence why we moved for them. You can put any offer into a club, but if it isnt what they want they would always negotiate it.

That said, questions do need asking about how long the list actually was. I also wouldnt be surprised as due to the publicity of our striker shortage clubs are trying to rip us off and make us pay over the odds for a payer due to the situation.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
The point that interested me in the article was the bit about Premiership clubs wanting guarantees that a player would be given a starting role, even though that player was deemed surplus to their 25 man squad, and they expected the bulk of the wages to be covered. Surely its in the clubs interests to get their player out there, and if he turns in a blinding loan spell then he can be sold, or welcomed back into their 25 in January.
I wonder how close to a return Mr Murray actually is....

Yes this was a very interesting passage in the article. However, this screams at me that we're now being held to ransom because of our ridiculous inability to act before the start of the season and get another striker in. It was written in the stars that Ulloa would get injured when we went into the season with him and Barnes as our only option. Now it has happened clubs know that we're desperate and just as they would with a permanent transfer, they can dictate the terms of the transaction.

Poor bit of business by the club to back themselves in to this recruitment corner.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Scouts find players, they weigh up whether a player will fit into the team - THEN you make an offer and then you find out that the PL club is being twattish. The players clearly are available for loan, hence why we moved for them. You can put any offer into a club, but if it isnt what they want they would always negotiate it.

That said, questions do need asking about how long the list actually was. I also wouldnt be surprised as due to the publicity of our striker shortage clubs are trying to rip us off and make us pay over the odds for a payer due to the situation.

If we had brought one in during the summer on a years contract, we would not be in the position to be held to ransom and we did know we needed one all through the summer, did we not?.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If we had brought one in during the summer on a years contract, we would not be in the position to be held to ransom and we did know we needed one all through the summer, did we not?.

And that question has to be asked too, though our "situation" over the Summer probably didnt help. Though at that time CMS was set for a September return and Hoskins didnt further get injured.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Quality, not quantity.

Billy Paynter is less a journeyman footballer, more a cautionary tale.

If we had options then I'd agree
We have no options so even a poor striker would do a better job than a mis firing midfielder , even if it's just positionally

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
If we had options then I'd agree
We have no options so even a poor striker would do a better job than a mis firing midfielder , even if it's just positionally

Really ? So paying for a striker who wont score is better than not paying extra for a Midfielder/Striker who might not score ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Quality, not quantity.

Billy Paynter is less a journeyman footballer, more a cautionary tale.

On the other hand, Sam Vokes did a decent job down here without pulling up any trees. Yet there isn't much wrong with his form for top of the table Burnley.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Really ? So paying for a striker who wont score is better than not paying extra for a Midfielder/Striker who might not score ?

I think he maybe referring to the waste of money (so far) spent on Conway, who we did not need
Everyone keeps on about wasting money on a poor striker, but what is the difference to wasting it on poor midfielders?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I said on a previous thread that I was told that by a scout for a premier club but was told that was wrong. Apparently Donny are paying all of Macheda's wages as are Wednesday with Matt Fryatt and Reading with Sharp. I think that if we get anybody it will be a very forward minded midfielder rather than an actual striker.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Maybe he watched them on Football Manager

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
On the other hand, Sam Vokes did a decent job down here without pulling up any trees. Yet there isn't much wrong with his form for top of the table Burnley.

It's easy with the benefit of hindsight but did we not discard this option a little early? - he was only about 21 at the time and given a little longer at the club may have been the answer in the long term.

Maybe the problem is we want it all and we want it now....including Mr Poyet?

Torbjorn Agdestein anyone?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I said on a previous thread that I was told that by a scout for a premier club but was told that was wrong. Apparently Donny are paying all of Macheda's wages as are Wednesday with Matt Fryatt and Reading with Sharp. I think that if we get anybody it will be a very forward minded midfielder rather than an actual striker.

with the crowds they get
tell me how many do we get at the Amex?
does not compute
does not compute

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here