Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Oscar could be sacked at the end of the season?

Will Oscar be sacked before next season starts?

• Total voters

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I don't think he'll be sacked. Apart from the footballing reasons that have been cited on different threads (and on which, I am currently on the fence), I haven't seen anyone comment on the financial reasons, which I believe to be compelling.

OG is just coming up to completing one year of his three year contract. If he's sacked for anything other than gross misconduct, the club will have to pay out the rest of his fixed term contract. He's got to be on, say, £500k pa, so that will cost the club £1m, plus, say, £25k in legal costs plus, say, £200k in a sign-on bonus for a new manager. I just can't see the club being prepared to fork out £1.225m to get rid of OG, at least not yet. The more so since I see no signs that we're prepared to flout FFP, which limits are reduced still more next season. TB (and the fans) won't want to see the playing budget reduced just to get rid of OG.

Less significantly, but still also true imo, I think TB generally wants to honour contracts. It's just the way he seems to work.

If OG decides to walk away, it wouldn't surprise me if TB let him go without having to pay the club anything that may be due under his contract, but that's a million miles away from actively firing him.

An entire summer of evidence supports EXACTLY this answer!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Sacked, mutual consent, resign, call it whatever you want. Garcia will not be around at the start of next season, along with a few others. This season was an experiment that hasn't worked for all parties concerned. There will probably be a minimum fuss, good terms parting of the ways.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Sacked, mutual consent, resign, call it whatever you want. Garcia will not be around at the start of next season, along with a few others. This season was an experiment that hasn't worked for all parties concerned. There will probably be a minimum fuss, good terms parting of the ways.

So that's that confirmed then: OG will be manager/head coach for our first game in August. Thread closed.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think there were a lot of things that played into the decision to go the route they did with Gus, and I believe one of them was that the club had identified his replacement as Oscar, and they wanted to get him before he went elsewhere. I think that is an indication of how confident Bloom/Barber etc are in his pedigree.

People keep saying bloom expects top 6, because of his comments at the preseason fans forum. What he actually said was that he always wants to be challenging for top six, and largely this season we have. I believe given the injuries, the struggle to sign the years we want due to FFP, and the aftermath of Gus going (with a smidgen of 'getting used to the division') Bloom/Barber et al will think 8th or 9th will be more than acceptable.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So that's that confirmed then: OG will be manager/head coach for our first game in August. Thread closed.

We will see....He won't be here, a blind man can see it isn't working out for all concerned. Far to much at sake for Bloom to let it get any worse. St sales are already down 10% ish....and when the hard core support starts to turn like yesterday, the writing is on the wall. Although to be fare, I think it has been for a while now.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We will see....He won't be here, a blind man can see it isn't working out for all concerned. Far to much at sake for Bloom to let it get any worse. St sales are already down 10% ish....and when the hard core support starts to turn like yesterday, the writing is on the wall. Although to be fare, I think it has been for a while now.

Firstly, I think nwgull's tongue was in his cheek given how spectacularly wrong you often are with your bold predictions. Secondly, season ticket renewals are down 10%. There's still a waiting list and general sale to work through before we know if sales are down.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
What he actually said was that he always wants to be challenging for top six He also said he'd be "unhappy" at anything lower than 6th. Now, we can only guess at the possible consequences of his unhappiness, and largely this season we have. I believe given the injuries, the struggle to sign the years we want due to FFP, and the aftermath of Gus going (with a smidgen of 'getting used to the division') Bloom/Barber et al will think 8th or 9th will be more than acceptable.I'd say "understandable" rather than "acceptable"

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Firstly, I think nwgull's tongue was in his cheek given how spectacularly wrong you often are with your bold predictions. Secondly, season ticket renewals are down 10%. There's still a waiting list and general sale to work through before we know if sales are down.

I'd love to see this list of things I have got so wrong...Yes the Vicente 10 games thing, but we all know that was ultimately a disaster, so because I was wrong by a couple of games people still want to quote it two years later. I said Vicente was a waste of time and I was 100% right, I said Poyet was a liability, again 100% right...and i'm saying now, this isn't working and i'm amazed people can't see it...We may get a result at Leicester and everyone will wet there pants but we are going backwards and will continue to do so under the current set up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There needs to be a major shake up close season and any issues regarding signings,if there are any, sorted and I am sure that then he will go on to prove a success for us after having had a season to learn about English football and especially this division.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
not voting in the poll ...if anything i think he might quit........unless he gets money to spend and some new faces in........i would REALLY like to know what is going on with AGUSTIEN....he was a nailed on "marquee" signing and he's been dumped ...what the **** is all that about...? things have gone to shyte over the last 8 weeks...imho of course.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't a TB appointment to be fair...

Also instrumental in getting McGhee sacked I believe, in fact the recent terrace/stands unrest is putting me in mind of how it all went wrong for McGhee who I also think did a good job. What do I know :rolleyes:

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Nice to see a comment that is realistic!
I agree with you Beach Hut. He is working with a team inherited, some past their best, and a disturbing amount of injuries to key players. The sale of Bridcutt, although not a disaster IMO, had to have an effect. I also feel some other heads have been turned, and as our season peters out into a damp sqib, the players who are coming up to end of contract have little to play for. I am of the opinion that there will be quite a clear out at the end of the season.
However, if the playing budget is suitable, and some key players are purchased, performances really should improve. If not, then he will have had his chance!!

Exactly. Why would he walk and what advantage is there in sacking him one year after appointing him on a three year contract.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm totally on the fence with Oscar, although improvements will need to be made next season and I don't think it's limited to a different bunch of players.

In saying that I've got a hunch he won't be here. It may just be his persona but he's never really looked happy here and he just doesn't give the impression that he's in control and is driving hard towards the objective.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Obviously he 'could' be sacked, as could every manager. I don't think he will be though (certainly hope he won't be). Whether he will quit is a different question, I don't think he has been given the support from above he deserves.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
wouldnt surpised me if the season tickets sales are down by 10% or more because some people are not happy with the way oscar and others are running the club but i will still be there supporting the team and getting behind who ever the manager is

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ridiculous, we're not that kind of club under TB, longview folk, Longview

I am not sure Russell Slade would agree with you on that view.

Wasn't a TB appointment to be fair...

...and he was in serious danger of taking us down.

And he was still given a lot of time for someone who wasn't a TB appointment who was in serious danger of taking us down. I think TB doesn't want to be the sort of owner who fires a manager rashly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here