Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you think Oscar could be sacked at the end of the season?

Will Oscar be sacked before next season starts?

• Total voters

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Haven't got time to troll through posts on big board, I believe some of the abuse toward Oscar, particularly since Saturday has gone over the top, thats probably why Oscar responded today

With respect to you---find the feckin time otherwise no one will give a rats arse what you think.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't consider moaning about the lack of entertainment and SOME gutless performances this season bile.
If the minority on NSC don't have a moan up who will------one published letter to the Argus once a month?
I have no agenda --- just want the club to sign a Jimmy Case/Nobby Horton 'THEY SHALL NOT PASS' type player who will spill blood for us.
We've all had a good moan.
As I said, I hope that includes Oscar.

Its believing those that insist in taking it so far they hope to be noticed, im reacting against.
Certainly questioning if they are the ones who should be listened to when quoting Albion 'fans'.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We've all had a good moan.
As I said, I hope that includes Oscar.

Its believing those that insist in taking it so far they hope to be noticed, im reacting against.
Certainly questioning if they are the ones who should be listened to when quoting Albion 'fans'.

We both know the extremists shout loudest.
However there has been discontent this season from moderate fans----me!
Lack of information from TB doesn't help-----is he still in Australia?
While we do not want an interfering owner it would be good to hear from him now & again----instead of at the beginning & end of the season.

I'll take "liabilities" whose managerial reigns see us end up in a League position 40-odd places above where we started. Every time. Even if you told me the exact details surrounding Poyet's departure I would have taken it.

So, as an employer, you wouldn't discipline someone you believe to be guilty of gross misconduct? If so, what message are you trying to send to the rest of your staff, stakeholders, shareholders, customers etc

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
If we continue in the same vane of form and the discontent gets stronger I would not be surprised or disappointed if he is pushed or walks.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
So, as an employer, you wouldn't discipline someone you believe to be guilty of gross misconduct? If so, what message are you trying to send to the rest of your staff, stakeholders, shareholders, customers etc

Really?

We're talking about football here. An industry where thousands of people watch 22 blokes kick a bag of air around. Those 22 blokes get paid more in a week (or month if it's the championship) than the majority of the PLANET get paid in a year.

And you think you can apply normal standards of conduct to that?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Surely it depends on what the gross misconduct is. It wouldn't create a very comfortable work environment to fire a top performing senior manager who had overseen a big improvement in your business because he took a couple of pens from the supplies cabinet. Technically, that is stealing, and stealing is gross misconduct.

There's balancing act, between the seriousness of the misconduct, not just the technicality of it, and the performance benefits.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Could be? I don't think Bloom is that ruthless, given the context of this season. I personally don't, I hope we can give him a decent budget and say to him, get who YOU want and see where we're at come January next season. If the situation is no better, mutual agreement to part ways and at least we gave him time to improve.

I really don't see what statement we'd be making if we sack him? Ambitious statement? No, the context of the season is that we had the fallout of the summer saga, injuries galore and heart ache of the play-offs. Then January losing 2 key players whilst not bringing in anything particularly shining. Most of which were out of anyone's hands, the january situation was a case of two players wanting to go. It would also signifying impatience amongst our board to get results, would managers want to go to a club with a trigger happy chairman? I doubt it, given the climate of managerial jobs at the moment, job security is probably quite important as there's little security in the job as it is. Having a chairman happy to sack would probably lead to a cautious list of applicants.

If we stick with the current set up, two things are possible.

1) It works, Garcia's philosophy begins to shine and we see what he really means by attacking football.

2) A mutual agreement to leave between January and the summer of 2015 next year would mean our board is willing to give managers time to adjust, modify and implement. I'm sure such a decision would make some managers more likely to come.

Of course, I have no reason to state what I've said other than pure feeling and nothing substantial, but that's how I see it.

Surely it depends on what the gross misconduct is. It wouldn't create a very comfortable work environment to fire a top performing senior manager who had overseen a big improvement in your business because he took a couple of pens from the supplies cabinet. Technically, that is stealing, and stealing is gross misconduct.

There's balancing act, between the seriousness of the misconduct, not just the technicality of it, and the performance benefits.

Sorry but I don't agree.
1) Disciplinary procedures/rules should give examples of what the employer regards as acts of gross misconduct. These may vary according to the nature of the organisation and what it does.
2) When following a disciplinary procedure, it is paramount that this is applied fairly by the employer. One element of this fairness is that the employer must act consistently, which seems not to be the implication in your example (ie different rules being applied depending on staff seniority).

As a former ET member, a lack of compliance with the ACAS code of practice (which point 2 is) without good reason is potentially going to go against the employer if a case ends up before an ET.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We both know the extremists shout loudest.
However there has been discontent this season from moderate fans----me!
Lack of information from TB doesn't help-----is he still in Australia?
While we do not want an interfering owner it would be good to hear from him now & again----instead of at the beginning & end of the season.
We were all 'warmed' by the photos of TB standing on generic northern train platform, with the rest of the fans, a couple of weeks ago. So don't start that rubbish, you know what the morons will do with that idea.

You don't want an interfering owner but you do want to hear from him now and again.

TB spends a pooh load of money on wages for people (chiefly Barber) so he doesn't have to be heard from.
Tony isn't like the owners of Cardiff, Hull, Forest, Leeds, and on and on, he has nothing to prove.
IF there were to be grumblings all he has to do is stand on the footbridge at Falmer station, open his arms wide, and say 'da-daaaa'. £120m state of the art stadium buys a hell of a lot of goodwill.

He doesn't need to play to the gallery, have his face on TV, or have his ego stroked, over the Albion, a fact for which we should be eternally grateful.
If he wants that he'll get a deck of cards out, and his little face lights up.

What do we actually know about Tony:-
- He's tenacious - Stadium.
- He's very wealthy - Stadium.
- Private.
- Loyal - Hoskins, many a club would have walked away from him.
- Tough - All things Poyet, Sunderland, transfers.
- A fan.
- Astute.

I'm sure others will add plenty more, but none will be 'reactionary'.

Oscar was the right man 10 months ago, he was the right man 4 weeks ago.
Once again nobody is happy about our current form, esp TB, but he doesn't need to run to the nearest microphone just to give Oscar 'the dreaded vote of confidence' and get his face in the Argus.

Remember Oscar showed loyalty to TB and the Albion when La Liga (ossa-wotsit) came knocking.
I bet Tony loved that, and won't forget it in a hurry.

(The way my luck is going, Oscar will be gone by 9am, after a public sacking by Tony dressed as a medieval executioner)

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't consider moaning about the lack of entertainment and SOME gutless performances this season bile.
If the minority on NSC don't have a moan up who will------one published letter to the Argus once a month?
I have no agenda --- just want the club to sign a Jimmy Case/Nobby Horton 'THEY SHALL NOT PASS' type player who will spill blood for us.
Oh I forgot to say, bi-annually I've been logging the demise of the teams spine and increased gutlessness in the 'you need 7' thread.
It's well worth a read.
Taking El Abd, Bridcutt, Barnes (love him or hate him he didn't take no s**t) out from a team already missing Crofts, was asking for trouble, esp when GG isn't on form.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Of course I'd discipline/sack him, I'm just arguing that his reign as a whole can not be see as a "liability." Half the reason a lot of people are so disaffected at the moment is down to how easy GP made managing this club look.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
We were all 'warmed' by the photos of TB standing on generic northern train platform, with the rest of the fans, a couple of weeks ago. So don't start that rubbish, you know what the morons will do with that idea.

You don't want an interfering owner but you do want to hear from him now and again.

TB spends a pooh load of money on wages for people (chiefly Barber) so he doesn't have to be heard from.
Tony isn't like the owners of Cardiff, Hull, Forest, Leeds, and on and on, he has nothing to prove.
IF there were to be grumblings all he has to do is stand on the footbridge at Falmer station, open his arms wide, and say 'da-daaaa'. £120m state of the art stadium buys a hell of a lot of goodwill.

He doesn't need to play to the gallery, have his face on TV, or have his ego stroked, over the Albion, a fact for which we should be eternally grateful.
If he wants that he'll get a deck of cards out, and his little face lights up.

What do we actually know about Tony:-
- He's tenacious - Stadium.
- He's very wealthy - Stadium.
- Private.
- Loyal - Hoskins, many a club would have walked away from him.
- Tough - All things Poyet, Sunderland, transfers.
- A fan.
- Astute.

I'm sure others will add plenty more, but none will be 'reactionary'.

Oscar was the right man 10 months ago, he was the right man 4 weeks ago.
Once again nobody is happy about our current form, esp TB, but he doesn't need to run to the nearest microphone just to give Oscar 'the dreaded vote of confidence' and get his face in the Argus.

Remember Oscar showed loyalty to TB and the Albion when La Liga (ossa-wotsit) came knocking.
I bet Tony loved that, and won't forget it in a hurry.

(The way my luck is going, Oscar will be gone by 9am, after a public sacking by Tony dressed as a medieval executioner)

Stat, believe me, you are preaching to the CONVERTED.
All I want to know is when the team are going to have a go.
Since Boxing Day I cannot think of many games that have been enjoyable home and away.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I think he will still be here.

But, if things go badly wrong from now until May, who knows.

Personally, I'd like him to stay. Not because I like the football he has us playing at the moment, but because I want consistency, and deep down I think he wants to make changes.

My beef is with the recruitment strategy. I just don't see how we've made progress in this area this season. That's where we need improvements (not sackings I'll add).

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Did I touch a nerve there?
Your reply suggests at least you give a rats arse what I think.
What in my post do you have problem with?

No
No
The fact you can't be arsed to look at all the posts on a thread-----but can give an opinion on the last couple you have read:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stat, believe me, you are preaching to the CONVERTED.
All I want to know is when the team are going to have a go.
Since Boxing Day I cannot think of many games that have been enjoyable home and away.
Boxing Day is a bit harsh.
Although if you said since the 15th March there haven't been any enjoyable games, you'd be hard to argue with.

A fairly damning fact from 2 Oscarnistas.

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
I keep reading this on NSC, but so far it am yet to see a single shred of evidence for it. Not even one hazy anecdote that is supposed to come from someone's wife's cousin's husband who is friends with the tea lady or something. Why do people think Jones controls everything? What is the reason for it? I'm not even saying he doesn't, I just don't understand why it seems to have become an accepted viewpoint from a lot of people.

A player said it to my friend, who is his close friend. Just passing on the message.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here