Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you take sickies off work?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Apart from taking a week off when my dog died I've had five days off sick in 32 years. Two of those were with the norovirus and one was a suspected heart attack.

You don't count as working in higher education, you only work 27 days a year anyway.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive used up all my sick pay time a couple of times but was genuine. Cant understand the mind set that sees it as extra holiday.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To add to my earlier post where I noted a dislike of those that gleefully milk the system, I feel it should also be noted that holier than thou 'If I'm breathing I'm working' types are just as bloody bad.

I absolutely get it if you're self-employed, no issue whatsoever, you don't work and it hits you straight in the pocket. However, if you work in an office with paid sick leave and you drag yourself with flu/norovurus/leprosy you're not impressing anyone. You are instead a selfish tosser likely to infect a bunch of otherwise healthy beings with your illness, probably causing them to go off, increasing the workload for everyone else. Even worse, this will likely cause you to play up as if you're the hero that only you think that you are. Gimp.

Edit; This definitely wasn't written after some cockwomble decided to wipe out half a building by rocking up with what appeared to be a mixture of Ebola and the Plague for a sodding fortnight. Nope.
The problem is that some firms use sickness records as part of the process when determining who to boot out for redundancy, so unless it is communicated that your sick record will never count against you, people will still come in.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Due to clerical oversights I haven't officially taken a day off work, including official holiday, for 25 years. That's because as long as I have ticked a few boxes by the end of the year, done all my teaching and marked the exam scripts on time, nobody gives a **** whethere I am in work or not, And I work for one of the top 20 universities in the world. You couldn't make it up.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
at my old job if you had a cold or anything that could be seen as infectious you weren't allowed to come as it would be worse to lose multiple people from the same illness than have 1 person working from home, or in bed if its bad enough

makes sense but can be abused

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It certainly counted as pleasure in my book.

I had Peter Allen last week though which didn't have the same effect :(

I regard Peter Allen as the uncle I never had; I find him a reassuring presence on the radio. Plus he lives not far from me.

He really is an awesome broadcaster who understands the medium perfectly.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I regard Peter Allen as the uncle I never had; I find him a reassuring presence on the radio. Plus he lives not far from me.

He really is an awesome broadcaster who understands the medium perfectly.

I agree he's an excellent presenter, but he didn't give me a boner that's all.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Had one of my annual meetings t'other week over how i'd had more than the business allowance of 10 days in a year off sick - i actually thought that i might be called in for congratulations for only being off for ONLY 17 days, the majority of which were down to a sipped disc rather than my usual many days off sick with a weakened immune system. The beginning of the meeting was the statement that hoped i was aware of the impact my time off would have on my colleagues. I took this this insultingly and worded it in my response that, honestly, it was the least of my worries when off sick or in pain to be in additional discomfort with the thought of colleagues who would carry on as normal. It is a company's task to manage it's workload. Not me. They have sent me to an Occupational Therapist before who said i would likely be off more than others. Once they had that decision, they seemed to accept it, so me being off lesser than usual, but more than other people was a plus, surely.
For the rest of my lifetime, i shan't spent my life at work thinking of those who aren't there, blaming them for the amount i do and disbelieving what they claim to suffer from. I will get on with my job, prattling when i can and grumbling over an irrelevant this and that, trying my hardest not to be begrudging or hounding of those who aren't me, for whatever reason.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I had a day off a few years back when I fractured my coccyx and another one this year due to a collapsed lung. I don't know if that oounts as a 'sickies' .... had about 6 weeks in hospital this year but that was regarded as a legitimate reason for not turning up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here