Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you take sickies off work?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
other than genuine ill health absences I don't think I threw a sickie in 40 years of work. I've no great moral objection to it but I just didn't ever actually do it. :shrug:
Bit of a prat really

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
No don't do sick days, can't remember the last time I phoned in sick. I do beleive though if you are genuinely I'll you should take time off. You know the people who are genuine and those that are taking advantage. As others have said you let your colleagues down, and I'm pretty sure when redundancy desions are being made HR look at that sort of thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What a miserable so and so you are! I don;t think there is harm in it if the entitlement is not abused and is used sparingly,

entitlement? no one has a sickness entitlement. in some organisations they will have a sickness threshold before they engage in some occupational health process to assess if you are well enough to work or if incapable for the role. not an entitlement, a measure to notify who isnt fit for work.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Self employed, a handful of days off sick in 20 years. I believe some jobs allow up to 28 days a year sick with no questions asked, many use those days up as if it is holiday entitlement.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
When I was a temp years ago I started work on a Monday, I had swine flu on Thursday, had to have Friday off (I was bad mind), back to work Monday (still feeling rough) had to or I might have lost job. A year later still temp at job and I had hernia op Tuesday, back to work Wednesday the following week. The Monday I was knocked over by car - severe bruising - I was going in Tuesday). Since I started work in 1974 I have never taken a sickie without being ill.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I had two months off when my lung collapsed 10 years ago.

Thats my only period of sickness since I started working in 2000.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nope. Don't get paid sick leave. Can't afford to take a day off even when I am. Gout included. Which in a job that involves spending all day on my feet in a workshop is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. Palace included.

People who take sickies are ***** as far as I'm concerned. I don't believe in sick pay unless it's for a proper bonafide reason. Proven by a doctors certificate. Not just a "I've got a cold and can't breathe" and expect to be paid for it. Public sector are the worst in my experience. Is it true people are told to take sick leave as they're entitled to it? I hope not. Takes the bloody piss as far as I'm concerned. If I don't work I lose the flimsy roof over my head. Motivation enough for me to always go in.

I think people should be off when they get a cold. Better than giving it to everyone else and ****ing their productivity too.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Self employed for forty years.
Been off work once for hernia - six fecking weeks in agony.
Two weeks off when my first wife died of cancer 1985 ish.
I don't want a medal by the way.
Life is shit on the whole - but I'm Albion - thats what matters::drink:

im quite lazy and I've worked for a company that pays sick pay but for some reason I'm quite proud of the fact that last time I went sick I was also too sick to go to Kenilworth Rd and watch us get beat in the semi final of the Sherpa van trophy or whatever it was called (luckily it was on the box)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Touch wood...I'm hardly ever ill although a couple of times a year now I think fack it and have two lots of two days off...never used to but what the hell:D

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
No but know plenty who do
Too many people milk the system including managers
Standards unfortunately have gone out of the window

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
To add to my earlier post where I noted a dislike of those that gleefully milk the system, I feel it should also be noted that holier than thou 'If I'm breathing I'm working' types are just as bloody bad.

I absolutely get it if you're self-employed, no issue whatsoever, you don't work and it hits you straight in the pocket. However, if you work in an office with paid sick leave and you drag yourself with flu/norovurus/leprosy you're not impressing anyone. You are instead a selfish tosser likely to infect a bunch of otherwise healthy beings with your illness, probably causing them to go off, increasing the workload for everyone else. Even worse, this will likely cause you to play up as if you're the hero that only you think that you are. Gimp.

Edit; This definitely wasn't written after some cockwomble decided to wipe out half a building by rocking up with what appeared to be a mixture of Ebola and the Plague for a sodding fortnight. Nope.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To add to my earlier post where I noted a dislike of those that gleefully milk the system, I feel it should also be noted that holier than thou 'If I'm breathing I'm working' types are just as bloody bad.

I absolutely get it if you're self-employed, no issue whatsoever, you don't work and it hits you straight in the pocket. However, if you work in an office with paid sick leave and you drag yourself with flu/norovurus/leprosy you're not impressing anyone. You are instead a selfish tosser likely to infect a bunch of otherwise healthy beings with your illness, probably causing them to go off, increasing the workload for everyone else. Even worse, this will likely cause you to play up as if you're the hero that only you think that you are. Gimp.

Edit; This definitely wasn't written after some cockwomble decided to wipe out half a building by rocking up with what appeared to be a mixture of Ebola and the Plague for a sodding fortnight. Nope.

Agree with this a well. Had man-flu this week, worked from home. No heroics, but ticked over and got some stuff done without infecting and annoying everyone else. The sickie martyrs who feel they are somehow indispensable and have to come, then spend all day moaning about how they should have stayed at home do my head in.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Agree with this a well. Had man-flu this week, worked from home. No heroics, but ticked over and got some stuff done without infecting and annoying everyone else. The sickie martyrs who feel they are somehow indispensable and have to come, then spend all day moaning about how they should have stayed at home do my head in.

These are exactly the people I mean.

Even more annoying is that when they do return after being banished to shake off their version of Smallpox they inevitably want to tell everyone how bad it actually was, in the vain hope that someone will appear and give them a medal.

From now on I shall be calling them Muttleys.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Apart from taking a week off when my dog died I've had five days off sick in 32 years. Two of those were with the norovirus and one was a suspected heart attack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here