Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you take sickies off work?

Castello

Castello
May 28, 2009
Tottenham
I used to work as a support worker for young homeless adults with medium to high support needs. We worked in a hostel. All of the young people were vulnerable in some way, and as the cuts increased we were forced to take higher and higher support needs. Many were ex offenders, some with a background of gang activity. To say the very least working in a hostel with 12 vulnerable young adults is a pressure cooker waiting to go off. We were the smallest hostel with 12 adults, some hostels had 40 to 50 rooms. The pressure exponentially increases as you have more residents. One mistake could have very serious consequnces for the residents or staff. Serious as in life threatening. This is not an exageration, although these incidents were rare due to the commitment of the staff.

The workers for the most part were highly committed. We all worked past the end of our shifts making sure tasks were completed and handovers done. However when you work in that environment, Work related stress is part of the job. The effects of work related stress can lead to mistakes being made. The ability to take sick leave when the pressure and stress got too much was a life saver. Ive seen disasters happen when staff soldiered on under pressure from management not to take sick leave. Of course this was denied by the manager when the inquests followed and stressed out staff were losing their jobs.

I was also one of three union reps there, as well as the pressure of our own jobs, we saw first hand what other staff were having to put up with and the disregard by many managers, to the staffs and residents welfare, intent upon meeting Government imposed targets. In fairness they were passing on pressure from above. Needless to say we made sure that staff who were showing the symptoms of ill health took sick leave. Staff were well aware of the knock on effect of someone being off sick, but got on with it knowing it may be them who needed it next time

For all the stress I felt from working in the hostel, it was nothing compared to dealing with a management that only carerd about numbers and didnt have the first clue about the issues faced by trhe staff and young people. As I said we were highly committed to the residents. This commitment was rarely reciprocated by management. This was amply demonstrated when front line staff were told they would face a 10% pay cut and work an extra 2.5 hours a week. At the same time we found out that senior managers were all getting pay rises as bonuses for getting such good results. Although through action we mitigated the worst effects of the cuts, staff morale has sunk through the floor. Staff are not as committed and sick leave has risen. Many of the most experienced staff left to find jobs where their commitment might be appreciated and rewarded. The organisation is now in financial straits due to not winning contracts due to poor results.

Perhaps all those who see taking sick leave as theft should realise its not as simple as that for all and perhaps be less judgemental. Sick leave is not an entatlement to a holiday, That is annual leave which should also be taken. However it should be there to protect staff wefare to ensure they are at their most efficient.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What a miserable so and so you are! I don;t think there is harm in it if the entitlement is not abused and is used sparingly,

Nothing wrong with being paid sick leave if it is genuine.

BUT absolutely wrong with the idea that sickies are ok if not taken too often when not really unfit for work.

What about the people that have to cover for you?

Anyone does this is a selfish waster.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Your boss is a fool then. What happens if you break your leg, or win the lottery ? No-one should be allowed to be indispensible, it's a potential time bomb.

Indeed. Absolute madness to only have one person that can do the job. Painfully short sighted.

Not really, there was 2 of us. But one left. So for the time being it's only me. We only have one machine. So how could my boss hire another member of staff? I don't take days off sick so what would the other bloke do every day? You can't employ someone to do a job "just in case".

I get paid above average as far as manufacturing wages go so it's in my interests to always work. It also makes me indespensible and a valued worker. Something that seems to be lacking nowadays. The knowledge that I'm that valued and needed helps. I actually enjoy my job so WANT to go to work. To me staying at home feeling a bit rough and watching crap daytime tv sounds worse than feeling rough and doing my job feeling a bit crap but at least I'm out the house and contributing.

IMO people who take sickies don't enjoy their work so dont feel guilty about taking time off. If you enjoy your job then you want to go in.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Does being to hungover to work count as a sickie? If so, I used to lots when I was younger. Not so much now unless the Mrs is desperate for childcare if something comes up unexpectedly.
Working as a chef, it is easy to get a couple of days off work by saying you woke in the night with sickness and diarrhea, but i do not play that card because I know if I do, the following week I would genuinely be ill.

D

Deleted member 2719

Theft would I presume work both ways. How many people consistently work extra hours and don't get paid for it? A lot of people work jobs where finishing on the dot is not always possible. In my job on most days go over my time by 10 or 15 mins and will not get paid overtime for it.

I have known people who work to the clock every day and still take sickies, they are the real thieves.
But people who do finish a bit late every now and again and show they are consciousness and show loyalty, any decent boss will reward them with a 'you can go early today' or give them a better pay rise or promotion. If its all one way and you don't enjoy it leave your not doing yourself or your boss any favours by staying.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
i was self employed for 6 years and now im employed and get sick pay. If i feel slightly ill or have any pains what so ever i go off sick thats because i ve been on site with a bad back and a busted ankle and never got any thanks at all from the contracters i was working for everyones out for themselves at the end of the day and my ankle has never been right since played the hero a few times to many and got no thanks for it.The only person ends up suffering is you.Thats one of the reason i became employed.Don t really care what anyone thinks let them get on with it

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Nope. Don't get paid sick leave. Can't afford to take a day off even when I am. Gout included. Which in a job that involves spending all day on my feet in a workshop is an experience I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. Palace included.

Have you been to your Doctors lately about your Gout? I used to get it quite bad but they have very good preventative drugs now.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Have you been to your Doctors lately about your Gout? I used to get it quite bad but they have very good preventative drugs now.

Yes I have. My doctor is reluctant to put me on Allopurinol as once you're on it you're on it for life. I don't suffer too badly at the minute. I've changed lifestyle a fair bit as I now eat salad everyday for lunch and TRY to only drink at football. Usually fail and end up drinking Friday night, Saturday, and maybe a couple cans on Sunday afternoon before the roast dinner.

Get a "twinge" every now and then but a couple of Colcichine works wonders for me. When I do get an attack it's usually a big one and bloody suffer. My god it hurts. But that's a different thread.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here