Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still get excited about watching England play ?

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not against San Marino, I was watching Wales/Scotland.

Any big tournament, yes.

Key qualifiers (and ultimately there aren't that many), yes.

Friendlies and cannon fodder, no.

This

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
only at cricket

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Amazing really, the current level of apathy towards Eng-er-land.

You've got a fair few in this very thread, stating 'only for important games', for example.

The game tonight is the hardest group game, in a WORLD CUP qualifying campaign. If THAT isn't 'important' what is?

(I'm in the same boat, btw - still utterly meh about it, even though I recognise its importance. Will definitely watch though - better than Loaction Location or any other such nonsense that my wife would have on otherwise!)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
When I was younger England games seemed the pinnacle of exciting matches for me. Games you could actually watch on the telly!

Nowadays I really don't give a shit unless it's in a tournament, and even then I'm far less enthusiastic than when I was younger.

But it isn't as if my love of football has waned, as I'm enjoying the Albion more than ever right now. Perhaps it's because there's never been a better time (in my life) to watch Brighton play, England just can't compete. And possibly years of perpetual overhyping and dismal failure from the national team has left me sick of their antics. That and the dislikable nature of the players, with all their ludicrous wealth, makes England a far less attractive proposition than my home town team.

If I'm really bored I may have tonight's game on in the background. I'm assuming it's on normal TV?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Scotland are going to get absolutely SPANKED.

I fear for all home nations teams tonight. Just a gut feeling that we're all going to get beat, with Ireland struggling past a Faroe Islands team that pushed Sweden the other evening!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
When I was younger England games seemed the pinnacle of exciting matches for me. Games you could actually watch on the telly!

Nowadays I really don't give a shit unless it's in a tournament, and even then I'm far less enthusiastic than when I was younger.

But it isn't as if my love of football has waned, as I'm enjoying the Albion more than ever right now. Perhaps it's because there's never been a better time (in my life) to watch Brighton play, England just can't compete. And possibly years of perpetual overhyping and dismal failure from the national team has left me sick of their antics. That and the dislikable nature of the players, with all their ludicrous wealth, makes England a far less attractive proposition than my home town team.

If I'm really bored I may have tonight's game on in the background. I'm assuming it's on normal TV?

Totally how I feel. The international breaks are now a royal pain in the arse and makes the beginning of the season frustratingly stocato. In the old days before Sky it was great to see live football on TV, but now you get less football of a weekend. In fact starting to resent the England team, it seems like a waste of time as we're never going to win a major tournament at the moment and playing some two bob nation is just not entertainment any more.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have been excited by England since euro96.

I still watch on TV, but have no urge to go watch them live. It just doesn't seem like the players see it as important, the international games are viewed by the premier league as a nuisance, a distraction. They've worked to reduce friendlies (thus giving the england squad less time together, less opportunities to bleed the younger talents or give a chance to players who don't play for the big four) now there seems to be a movement to turn football against qualifying matches against "lesser" countries (i.e. the "countries like san marino should have to pre-qualify" argument). So much importance has been put on club football by players, managers, TV companies, the tribal fanbases that it just doesn't seem like anyone really wants to be there.

There also seems to be a bias in the team selection, that a middling man utd player will be picked over an inform fulham or norwich player. It seems like so many players are in the team on name value more than form, and it seems like the england team became instead a collection of english players who don't really have the hunger to fight for the team and work together with the players who are normally their rivals.

So, I watch, but don't have any real connection, and as I said on the san marino thread, I actually enjoy the fan furore and media meltdown when england lose or fail to beat someone as comprehensively as expected.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not really anymore, since South Africa 2010.

It will take a LOT to get my interest back.

A World Cup quarter-final against Brazil ? A Final against Germany perhaps ?

Its all a bit selective to dismiss the team until something interesting comes up. We might be shit, but its still the only International team we (as englishman, and I'm assuming you are english) can actually support on the world stage.

Yes they've let us down time and again, and I can understand the disenchantment. But I'm not one to jump off and on a bandwagon according to the latest performances, or because I don't like the leftback. I'll be cheering England on through EVERY qualifier in the hope of making it to Brazil, as a World Cup without us being involved is, for me, a right old shitter.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Euro 96 was the pinnacle for me, I was at uni in Sheffield and had some matches there, the atmosphere was brilliant in the city which was full of fans from various countries.

The Germany 2010 match was a low point for me. No heart and no chance against a vastly superior team! Watching Gareth Barry run through treacle trying to catch the German winger was just so painful!

Maybe a good performance tonight will reignite my interest...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I always watch the England games and if we play well then I get excited. I don't look forward to them like I would a Brighton game, but I'll still watch them. As Easy 10 says, I don't just wait until the 'important' games, as I am English and they are my team. I will shout at the tv and exclaim, 'What a load of rubbish' sometimes but they are my rubbish.

D

Deleted member 18477

qualifiers and friendlies? no. why? because they're boring and most of the players and fans still care more about their clubs.

tournament games? yes. why? because i'm a mug!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
The difference is that, now, I have no expectations for England to achieve anything. The passion went out of the England team when Hoddle became manager and introduced his weird form of serenity to the players. I used to believe, but not any more. Hodgson does nothing for me. It's all quite depressing.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

May 1, 2012
No...I try to get excited and nearly always watch the games, but I don't feel the connection with the players. The passion isn't there for me.

..I'd rather Albion get to the FA Cup Final than England get to the World Cup final.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Couldnt care less, dont like half the side so I dont really care if they win or lose.

I could never support a side with Terry in it so I didnt pay much attention to the Euro's.

International football is dying if not already dead,too many games against rubbish treams and pointless internationals. They need to do something or it will just get worse, Englands group may as well just be three teams.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
My lack of enthusiasm for the England team really only comes from what I perceive to be the attitude of the players. Few of them really seem to want to play for their country which is backed up by the fact some opt out of such an honour these days.

I might be wrong but I remember growing up and watching the likes of Lineker, Robson, Butcher etc and always getting the feeling that every England game - even friendlies - were big events and seen as important by the players.

I do find myself a little more interested for the World Cup or Euros but then you have the frustration at just how embarrassingly crap we are compared to the real contenders. This of course may also be linked to the general attitude of the modern day English premier league player.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I fear for all home nations teams tonight. Just a gut feeling that we're all going to get beat, with Ireland struggling past a Faroe Islands team that pushed Sweden the other evening!

66-1 for all home nations teams to be beaten tonight.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here