Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you still get excited about watching England play ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Italia 90 was the last time I really enjoyed watching England.

I've been thinking since i wrote that and, the germans in that match, Beckham's penalty against the argies and the 5-1 in Munich (probably enhanced by the fact i was the only englishman in a bar full of Germans in Spain). Not really a lot to show for 23 years is it ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Don't get excited as been let down so many times now lost count.

Will only ever go to the New Wembley if BHAFC play there

100% agree with this. Totally fed up with the whole set up for many years. The last time I got excited about England was the world cup in Italy,Germany was more about the WAGS than the players and South Africa totally finished me off.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
100% agree with this. Totally fed up with the whole set up for many years. The last time I got excited about England was the world cup in Italy,Germany was more about the WAGS than the players and South Africa totally finished me off.

I honestly believe we would win Italia '90 we were so unlucky to lose that epic semi-final

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I honestly believe we would win Italia '90 we were so unlucky to lose that epic semi-final

Absolutely, I was on the Greek Islands at the time and met a group of northern lads who had been to the world cup and then went to Greece, spent many days and nights talking about it and the experience they had , it sounded fantastic and one thing I wish I had done. We had a great squad, played really well, and was very unlucky not to go to the final.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

To be fair, we were lucky to get that far.

We were crap against Ireland, played our one good game against Holland, beat Egypt 1-0 with a header from a set piece, were VERY fortunate to beat Belgium, and relied on Cameroon pressing the self destruct button in the quarters.

Yes, we played well against the Germans, and could have easily won, but let's not think we were world beaters.

We would however have beaten Argentina in the final.

Being in Italy during Italia 90 was quite an experience.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
No. England forfeited my unquestioning support with the wags in Germany quickly followed by the disgusting South African 'campaign'. The FA built a £1b stadium with no heart of soul and then ran out of money for the academy so we waited years. Its rather like having a shop and forgetting to buy any merchandise. I'd rather us win but I couldnt careless if we lost.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Absolutely, I was on the Greek Islands at the time and met a group of northern lads who had been to the world cup and then went to Greece, spent many days and nights talking about it and the experience they had , it sounded fantastic and one thing I wish I had done. We had a great squad, played really well, and was very unlucky not to go to the final.

If you get the chance to read 'all Played Out' do so, it's a great read.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

We were crap against Ireland, played our one good game against Holland, beat Egypt 1-0 with a header from a set piece, were VERY fortunate to beat Belgium, and relied on Cameroon pressing the self destruct button in the quarters.

Yes, we played well against the Germans, and could have easily won, but let's not think we were world beaters.

Which was precisely why I thought it was our year, you need that luck which we got

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

This is true, you only seem to remember the good bits. Many teams over the years have struggled in the first games but managed to get through and then improve and win the thing. but at least we had a squad of tryers who played for the badge and battled through. A team with Gascoigne in it was always going to battle I also thought Bobby Robson was different class.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Great goal by Platt though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtqiBAg2biw

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Talking of England, please tell me this is the last international break for some time, I don't think I could bear another one, I hate it when there is no Albion and Champ/Prem and the fact that I dont care much for England makes it even worse.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
noooooooo

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just forget I mentioned it. You'll be none the wiser.
Well I made my post, logged off of NSC, and forgot again. Now you've just reminded me. How did it go?
EDIT - I haven't missed a thing!

Last edited:

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Only a few of the away matches. I've got a bad feeling about tonight in Poland though.

Camicus

Not at all.The build up is always over-hyped trying to make out England are a major force in World/European football,when the truth is they are not and will not be for some time to come.Boring and predictable sums up my view of the England football team.Always an anticlimax when they play.

This and that bloody band has ruined all atmosphere. Why will they just not pack it in

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Talking of England, please tell me this is the last international break for some time, I don't think I could bear another one, I hate it when there is no Albion and Champ/Prem and the fact that I dont care much for England makes it even worse.

The only reason I'm really interested in the Internationals today is because of the shortage of footie in the past ten days. Need my fix!

KO Schedule for today includes:

1700 England U21s in Serbia trying to qualify for their finals (ESPN)
1800 Egypt v Tunisia in Dubai - hopefully El Abd will get another cap (Stream?)
1900 Croatia v Wales (SS2)
1945 Belgium v Scotland (BBC1 Scotland and ESPN)
2000 Poland v England (ITV1) be great to see our Pole in goal but can't see it happening barring injury
2045 Portugal v N Ireland (SS1)

So wall-to-wall footie 5-11pm if you want it.

PG

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not really.....my mrs is out on the lash so I would have thought this was a perfect time to crack open a beer, a packet of peanuts and sit down to watch England, however in reality, off to the gym at 7:30, do some work for an hour and then pilates at 8:30 for an hour and then a swim afterwards...maybe I'll catch the last few minutes.

I am getting like a plastic England fan, in that I only get interested in finals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here