Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please State)

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Just out of curiosity. I'm passionate about playing football as well as watching it, despite my skill level at the former, and wondered what the demographic on NSC is? I don't think there's any shame in not playing football but watching it, I love watching snooker but find it quite dull to actually play. [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] once brilliantly said that snooker is one of those sports where there's a big difference between the ability to play it, and the interest in watching it. Or, something along those lines and I hope he corrects me. To take a sport he is clearly passionate about, cycling, it's not something I have ever enjoyed going out and doing but do enjoy watching it and can appreciate the skill and ability of the proper riders.

I only really play small sided, which works quite well for me and I suspect a lot of people would be the same. Unfortunately for me, I have bad knees so my desire to play football and tennis in particular are greatly restricted by my physical restrictions. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy doing it, however, and assuming I can stand, I shall be playing both for as long as I live. And maybe lawn bowls when I'm old enough not to stand out.

There is of course a poll coming, it would be interesting to know reasons about votes if there are any.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
no.
i used to play, but had to retire at an early age due to lack of ability

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
11 a side from the age of 14 until last season at the age of 41. Never any higher level than Uni 2nd XI (Liverpool JMU)

400 games over 20 years at left back, for the same Sunday team.

Now play a very reasonable standard of 5 a side, in goal, and train my lad's U15s on Saturdays.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I play 6-a-side and 11-a-side for my work team. Although haven't played much in the past 6 months due to tearing a couple of tendons in my right ankle.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No I'm horrible, I have no coordination and my only ability is getting in the way of shots and then hoofing it hard up the pitch. Anything that requires skill like passing or going past someone is basically a write off. I have a kick around the park with mates in the summer but that's it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why have a dog and bark yourself :lol:.

My thing with snooker is for me it's the hardest game to play that's made to look so easy by the pro's.
The gulf in ability is huge.

All that going off 4 cushions and ending up here, you get on screen.
Verses.
Only just being able to see the other end of the table in the distance.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Used to be very good in my mid 20s, playing County League etc. Still play Saturdays in the West Sussex League when I'm not at the Albion, but nowadays - at 31 - I'm bang average. Kinda like Gary Dicker - painfully slow but can pick out a pass.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
No I'm horrible, I have no coordination and my only ability is getting in the way of shots and then hoofing it hard up the pitch. Anything that requires skill like passing or going past someone is basically a write off. I have a kick around the park with mates in the summer but that's it.

Good to hear Colin Hawkins has improved.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
5 a side and 11 a side. I'm better at 5/7 a side due to the size of the pitch. But I'm decent at 11 a side as well.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I wish I'd been into play 11 a side younger, I was in the Junior Dolphins back in the day but my parents couldn't afford the fees so I stopped going quite young and never got into it. As compensation for that, I was taken off to the Priestfield every couple of weeks! But now I am interested in playing 11 a side, but don't really have the level of ability I'd want to be able to play, and I don't have any faith in my knees being able to hold out.

As I said in the original post, I don't think there's anything wrong with watching a sport rather than playing it, but I do think you get a different perspective on a sport when you can appreciate just how good the players you're watching actually are. I can imagine for some people on here, who have/are playing at a reasonable standard, it can also go the other way and there must be plenty of players we've had down the years whom [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] and [MENTION=943]Chesney Christ[/MENTION] have thought you're atleast as good as?

Some people get the breaks, others don't. Charlie Austin is a good example in my opinion, he was a bricklayer which I presume everyone now knows. But what I guess alot of people don't know, is that a guy called Andrew Fitton was the chairman of Poole when he played there, and when Fitton then took charge at Swindon he told then manager Danny Wilson to go and have a look. Admittedly, Bournemouth had agreed a deal to sign him but they were under an embargo at the time, Eddie Howe was the manager and they were in league 2. Even so, Wilson had a look and signed him. He threw him on, Austin scored and the rest, as they say, is history.... As is how I know that story so well, but you get the idea!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Pitch invasion 6-a-side and 5-a-side with work each week.

In and out of 11-a-side leagues, trying to find a team with players I get on with. Used to play on the wings and now more comfortable at left back.

Would play every day if I could.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Used to play to a reasonable standard, and got paid beer money for doing so.

Then played village football and Sunday football. Played my last game at at the age of 49.

Still miss it. You're a long time retired.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I can imagine for some people on here, who have/are playing at a reasonable standard, it can also go the other way and there must be plenty of players we've had down the years whom [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] and [MENTION=943]Chesney Christ[/MENTION] have thought you're atleast as good as?

Sheebo - who played with me in several REMF games is CONVINCED I am genuinely better than Agustin Battipiedi. Obviously this is bollocks, but its very flattering nonetheless.

NB Sheebo has slight eyesight problems.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As I said in the original post, I don't think there's anything wrong with watching a sport rather than playing it, but I do think you get a different perspective on a sport when you can appreciate just how good the players you're watching actually are. I can imagine for some people on here, who have/are playing at a reasonable standard, it can also go the other way and there must be plenty of players we've had down the years whom [MENTION=3566]hans kraay fan club[/MENTION] and [MENTION=943]Chesney Christ[/MENTION] have thought you're atleast as good as?

Probably true of Chesney much more than me. He was a MUCH better player than me.

Having said that, I was a far better penalty taker than a few of them! Ended my 'career' with 23 from 25.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not now long since retired but enjoy watching Junior and Mini play

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here