Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Do you know these Brighton pubs?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I once visited the Preston Brewery Tap in the fine company of @Tom Hark Preston Park for what was intended to be a swift pre-match pint and still have next to no reliable recollection of the following 72 hours.
I hope you didn't end up like a pal of mine, on a park bench with no wallet, a shoe missing and a vague sense of unease.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
It's in Kingston south of the A27 so not really Lewes
And it was a lovely and very widely known, well attended Kingston village pub with good food, South-facing beer garden in front and parking. Used to go and watch my Dad play cricket on the green in Kingston and then to the Juggs for a drink many years ago. Always a cycle stop point too on my bike rides around Sussex and later still, a favourite with some of my Uni lecturers/students. Personally, I would choose that any day over a pub in Trafalger St if I could get a good price and had the energy to get it back to its former ‘glory’ - as @Diablo says. Definitely worth looking imo but it’s all about what you want out of being a Publican.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I quite like the Crown and Anchor on Preston Road, landlord seems like a decent guy and making a go at it, but I would swerve the Tap also - a lot of competition in that area for pubs with not a lot off footfall.

Better options are Station Pub, Preston Park Tavern, Park View (admittedlt a bit shit), Crown and Anchor, stretching it a bit but Cleveland Arms.

I was pretty surprised that they bothered refurbing the Tap and it wasn't run down and turned into houses which I suppose is admirable in itself as it always seemed empty to me. Has a half decent beer garden I suppose.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. It needs to have a draw like a decent restaurant to pull in the punters as it’s pretty remote. Used to be an attraction many years ago with stuff to do for the kids in the garden.
I used to go there a lot when I was at Lewes College, a friend lived nearby and me and a load of college mates would frequent it once a month of so....this is over 30 year ago. It was a nice place and it used to tolerate us.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I quite like the Crown and Anchor on Preston Road, landlord seems like a decent guy and making a go at it,
Oh that brings back happy memories - it was my local growing up (that and the ghastly PP Tavern). When I was at Varndean VI Form, we spent far to much time down there during College hours and I eventually got suspended for being found pissed in the C@A instead of in A Level English. Recall it being a really ok bar, cosy and friendly. 😎

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Oh that brings back happy memories - it was my local growing up (that and the ghastly PP Tavern). When I was at Varndean VI Form, we spent far to much time down there during College hours and I eventually got suspended for being found pissed in the C@A instead of in A Level English. Recall it being a really ok bar, cosy and friendly. 😎

Ours was Dyke Tavern (Cardinal Newman)!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I quite like the Crown and Anchor on Preston Road, landlord seems like a decent guy and making a go at it, but I would swerve the Tap also - a lot of competition in that area for pubs with not a lot off footfall.

Better options are Station Pub, Preston Park Tavern, Park View (admittedlt a bit shit), Crown and Anchor, stretching it a bit but Cleveland Arms.

I was pretty surprised that they bothered refurbing the Tap and it wasn't run down and turned into houses which I suppose is admirable in itself as it always seemed empty to me. Has a half decent beer garden I suppose.
Crown & Anchor was a local in early 70s for the office. Some long Friday lunchtimes live long in the memory, carrying people back to their desks and propping them upright , pen in hand.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I'm sure @Yes Chef will have a view on that. If you didn't want to run a kitchen, there seem to be plenty of food vendors happy to come to pubs to sell their food. Having a rotation of different types of food can be good in village settings as you could also get people traveling from nearby places to eat something not usually available.
That’s a toughie for a publican because the profit will be in the food, not necessarily the wet sales because a lot of the lucrative summer trade will be during the day when a lot of folk don’t drink a lot.

I think that pub needs a foodie or even a chef to run it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm sure @Yes Chef will have a view on that. If you didn't want to run a kitchen, there seem to be plenty of food vendors happy to come to pubs to sell their food. Having a rotation of different types of food can be good in village settings as you could also get people traveling from nearby places to eat something not usually available.
A plot of land big enough for a shed and invite Trolls Pantry!

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Yes, it is the Yeoman. Been done up this year apparently, and as I said now quite pleasant.

Walk past it pretty much daily.

Before the refurb it was always empty. Then went past one day a few months back and they were selling all the tables and chairs on the street outside, and boarding up the windows.

It re-opened a couple of weeks later looking pretty much like it had before, except with a telly showing sport. And the barman still looks like he's the loneliest bloke in Brighton.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
The Battle of Trafalgar is a great pub, used to go there a lot when I was at college. Haven't been for quite a few years now, but its always seen as a good pub by people I know. Right by the station and would be good for the football, if I hadn't already got quite settled in my routine of going to the Albert. Never been to the New Oak, but they have run coaches for away games before, and the Landlord there was the one who found Veltman's GPS at Forest. The other two in Brighton is on the Dark Side of Brighton for me so I've never been.

Isn't 'Burger Off' there now too?

Last edited:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
The Setting Sun is my local. Nobody has managed to get that place to make money for years. It’s a crap shape and everything centred around the view from the tiny beer garden which is only viable for 5 months a year. Two very decent pubs to compete with nearby. I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
The BoT is a lovely pub, but close enough to The Albert and the Evening Star to make my visits few and far between. I’ll come in if you take it over though, @The Fits .

The Rock is an interesting one - good space, nice garden and a bit isolated in that part of Kemp Town, pub wise. It must have a huge local catchment area.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Juggs in Kingston dire at the moment, should be and could again be brilliant. However you`d need to be concerned about terms offered !!
Last time I went there was in May, it was a Wednesday just after midday, pub was almost empty but some chavvy women behind the bar said we had to book if we wanted a sandwich, horrible attitude, not been back since.
If she is the manager I would imagine she frightened off many customers.

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
I have a ban on bar stools.
People hate it until they realise they can actually get to the bar.
I’m out then.

People that sit on bar stools know what they want.

As opposed to the queue for x amount of time get to the bar and still know what drink they want merchants.

Nevermind the ‘what crisps have you got?’
After hearing the bar person go through the whole range.
‘Ready salted’.

As I have often said at Falmer sometimes the staff are only as good as the punters they serve.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m out then.

People that sit on bar stools know what they want.

As opposed to the queue for x amount of time get to the bar and still know what drink they want merchants.

Nevermind the ‘what crisps have you got?’
After hearing the bar person go through the whole range.
‘Ready salted’.

As I have often said at Falmer sometimes the staff are only as good as the punters they serve.
They do know what they want. The whole f***ing pub to themselves.

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Battle always used to be our mid-week pre-match spot before our office closed. Still go in there when drinking near the station, if it's not completely wedged. Really nice pub and great having a garden so near the station. Only slight negative is the narrowness, it's hard to get in & out the loos/past the bar when it's really busy, but that's pretty minor.

And yes you will probably inherit the Taxman if you keep the Stowford on (he'll keep your takings up!). Although if you remove the barstools... ?!

Haven't been in the Tap since the Withdean days. Seem to remember the guy in the Crown & Anchor was anti-Albion back then, but Denise in the tap was great. Got very drunk in there with my little brother after one of the promotion winning seasons. Fun times.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here