Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Do you know these Brighton pubs?

Jul 7, 2003
Good luck to them. Chefs seem to be nuts (apologies to any chefs here) but there’s no doubt the importance of food. Mine are wet only and we haemorrhage customers once they get hungry.
I'm sure @Yes Chef will have a view on that. If you didn't want to run a kitchen, there seem to be plenty of food vendors happy to come to pubs to sell their food. Having a rotation of different types of food can be good in village settings as you could also get people traveling from nearby places to eat something not usually available.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm sure @Yes Chef will have a view on that. If you didn't want to run a kitchen, there seem to be plenty of food vendors happy to come to pubs to sell their food. Having a rotation of different types of food can be good in village settings as you could also get people traveling from nearby places to eat something not usually available.
It wouldn't work at the BoT because of the many other pubs in the area and narrowness of the road. However, my local The Foghorn (second thread for them today!) do exactly this and its brilliant. From memory, regular rotations of Chucka Burger, 39 Pizza, Simply Veg and Taco Look at Me Now with more than that in the summer including Kitgum and a bbq done by the guys from the Brazilian shop next door. All absolutely superb and allows the pub to "serve food" without serving food.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My local. Odd pub.

There's no food offering at the moment (or wasn't last time I was in there). Beer passable. It's very much the vibe of people meeting after work for a game of pool or darts. They do a good trade from the dog track crowd on Saturdays I think and have to be fair they have done a decent job with the garden

But if i'm honest, if i'm going for a local drink I always walk past it to the Poets Corner or the Exchange.

What I would say about this one, is that given the masses of development going on on Sackville Road, someone could do very well out of it
Its a shame as its my local as well, but very rarely venture in. Was dubbed 'coke park tavern' by me and mates for a while. Those flats are massive, it could do really well, shame there isn't a football ground round the corner anymore...

scooter1

How soon is now?
Hove Park Tavern as well, which is an emotive location.
I'd absolutely swerve this place. Other than hijacking a bit of trade from the dog track, this place is empty 90% of the time and its big.
The currently manager is less than welcoming too, her staff turnover was huge.
Considering it's location it could have a massive catchment, but as quoted above, there are so many nicer places within 10 mins that people venture to.

Edi: I hadn't considered the development over the road, but I still think after one visit to The Tavern and they'll head elsewhere.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
It wouldn't work at the BoT because of the many other pubs in the area and narrowness of the road. However, my local The Foghorn (second thread for them today!) do exactly this and its brilliant. From memory, regular rotations of Chucka Burger, 39 Pizza, Simply Veg and Taco Look at Me Now with more than that in the summer including Kitgum and a bbq done by the guys from the Brazilian shop next door. All absolutely superb and allows the pub to "serve food" without serving food.
I used to go to the Porter Cottage in Sheffield, who just let people bring in their fish and chips or pizza from the local takeaways.
I never saw anybody try, but I expect they might have drawn the line if somebody had tried to bring their curry in.
Apparently it's been done up since I moved away and is now SHIT.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
One of mine is next door to a chippy but opposite a curry house. We encourage BYO. For some reason I just thought people would get chips. Curry makes a real mess of the tables and even more of the toilets a few hours later. Combination of chip fat and curry is also a repulsive smell. You learn the hard way.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I used to go to the Porter Cottage in Sheffield, who just let people bring in their fish and chips or pizza from the local takeaways.
I never saw anybody try, but I expect they might have drawn the line if somebody had tried to bring their curry in.
Apparently it's been done up since I moved away and is now SHIT.
Off topic - sorry everyone - but I fully intend to go to Sheffield United this season. I haven't been to Sheffield for years and, by that, I mean at least 15 maybe 20. I'll be after some pub recommendations as I'm sure it's still got tons of good ones.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
This is still true, some right riff raff in there. Very clicky and one of those that if you don’t know anyone when you walk in you get looked up and down
I popped in the Bat & Ball the summer before last and had a similar experience.

On the subject of boozer memories, used to enjoy going to the Iron Duke when Liverpudlian Bob ran the place, many moons ago. I think it's called The Sussex Belle now. Went in there again recently. Completely transformed. The pub food was very good(private contractors). Waterloo Street has had a colourful/controversial reputation over the years.

Last edited:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Off topic - sorry everyone - but I fully intend to go to Sheffield United this season. I haven't been to Sheffield for years and, by that, I mean at least 15 maybe 20. I'll be after some pub recommendations as I'm sure it's still got tons of good ones.
I kept missing Sheffield United when I lived there. Fully intend to go this season, knowing my luck I'll get run over on the way to the station.
Loads of pubs to recommend around the city, from a beer drinkers perspective it's probably top 2 or 3 cities in the country.
Give us a nudge nearer the time.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It's in Kingston south of the A27 so not really Lewes
And it gets a lot of footfall in the summer months particularly. It's a fairly popular eating pub with lots of tables outside although the scoff is just above average; certainly not a gastro pub. Last time I visited it was very busy and the service was appalling.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I'd absolutely swerve this place. Other than hijacking a bit of trade from the dog track, this place is empty 90% of the time and its big.
The currently manager is less than welcoming too, her staff turnover was huge.
Considering it's location it could have a massive catchment, but as quoted above, there are so many nicer places within 10 mins that people venture to.

Edi: I hadn't considered the development over the road, but I still think after one visit to The Tavern and they'll head elsewhere.
Went in there about 6 months ago, a big group of around 20 of us met there for a drink or two before a works do at the dogs. The lady you speak of was exactly as you described. Even though we were the only ones in there, we were putting a fair amount of money in the till, but she decided it was time to close up early and we had to head to the dogs early for more pre races drinks instead!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It really has. I've done comfortably 100 overnight stays in Sheffield through work, over the years, and had more good nights than I can (not always) remember.

So many good pubs, including one great one before you've even left the station!

Jul 7, 2003
Sorry - should have been clear that I was talking about The Juggs, not the BoT.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It’s just a great pub city, you can’t really go wrong. I really like the Gardeners (maybe arms?) in Kelham Island. My favourite kind of pub- old school but a bit weird not a bit scary. There’s so many good ones though.
The Shakespeare, The Crow, The Rutland Arms are all great.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The Juggs in Lewes is quite out of the way. I’d be worried it doesn’t get much footfall.
Agreed. It needs to have a draw like a decent restaurant to pull in the punters as it’s pretty remote. Used to be an attraction many years ago with stuff to do for the kids in the garden.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Used to be one across the road called the Sussex Yeoman. Don't know if it's still there. Seem to recall it being very expensive, poor selection of beers and devoid of atmosphere. But apart from that, fine 😄
Yes, it is the Yeoman. Been done up this year apparently, and as I said now quite pleasant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Used to be one across the road called the Sussex Yeoman. Don't know if it's still there. Seem to recall it being very expensive, poor selection of beers and devoid of atmosphere. But apart from that, fine 😄
Years (30 or so) ago, the Yeoman was the 'sausage pub' (no, not THAT). They did about 20 different varieties of sausage for lunches and evening meals.

Once went in there in September after an Albion home game and Sussex were on the telly in a Lords final against Warwickshire. Yes it was THAT one. And the landlord was a Brummie who got his sausages from the West Midlands and was a keen Warwickshire fan :rant:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
So does this thread mean Pat’s moving on from The Oak? I think he’s been there years
I think they've wanted to go for a while now. Their daughter runs The Mitre in Baker St that I think Pat took on a couple of years ago.

@The Fits The Oak could be a good pub that could take back trade from the Wilmigton. What you'd have to do is bar a large percentage of the regulars, make it crystal clear that you won't put up with any crap from the moment you walk in. Prepare yourself for a couple of quiet months until word gets around that the place isn't a nightmare anymore, then you'll find that sane people who just want a few beers in a nice atmosphere will come back in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here