Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Do you know these Brighton pubs?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Hello all.
I’ve been looking at getting a pub in Brighton. Ideally a free house but it’s a tougher market.
There’s a few pub group sites available so I’m thinking maybe taking one of those first. I’m very anti pub group, but really keen to get back to the city (or at least county).

If any you have any comments about these I’d be delighted to hear them (good and bad).

Setting Sun, Hanover
Battle of Trafalgar, Guildford Road
Preston Brewery Tap
New Oak, New Oak Avenue
Also...
Juggs in Lewes
Smugglers Inn, Pevensey

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Avoid Pevensey, definitely check out Lewes.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The tap unless I’m mistaken has just undergone an extensive refurbishment, the trades working unsurprisingly were extremely selfish in the parking directly outside on South Road causing unnecessary congestion!!!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
If it were me, I'd pick the Battle of Trafalgar out of that list. Very handy for Brighton Station and the football crowds.
They make a lot of money, it seems. I love how it looks and already being a football pub is a draw for me. It’s not here in Bristol but it’s totally different when it’s the team you support.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The tap unless I’m mistaken has just undergone an extensive refurbishment, the trades working unsurprisingly were extremely selfish in the parking directly outside on South Road causing unnecessary congestion!!!
It’s looks very....garish I guess. Bold.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hello all.
I’ve been looking at getting a pub in Brighton. Ideally a free house but it’s a tougher market.
There’s a few pub group sites available so I’m thinking maybe taking one of those first. I’m very anti pub group, but really keen to get back to the city (or at least county).

If any you have any comments about these I’d be delighted to hear them (good and bad).

Setting Sun, Hanover
Preston Brewery Tap
New Oak, New Oak Avenue
Also...
Juggs in Lewes
Smugglers Inn, Pevensey
The Juggs in Lewes is quite out of the way. I’d be worried it doesn’t get much footfall.

It’s just had a relaunch opening last week, I’d be surprised to hear if it’s still available

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Hello all.

Setting Sun, Hanover
Preston Brewery Tap
New Oak, New Oak Avenue
Also...
Juggs in Lewes
Smugglers Inn, Pevensey
Avoid the Tap. It and the Anchor next door are always empty. They have no parking and very limited housing around them where they might draw customers from. Most would sooner go to the Park View or The Station at Preston Park, but that part of town are notoriously fickle when it comes to going to the pub.

The Battle - what's not to like. Loads of potential (as long as you don't change things too much - but change the loos!).

Loved going to The Juggs, but admittedly haven't been back for 10 years. Car trip innit.

The others I don't know, but I'd have thought Hanover would be highly competitive, but great if you can create a community there.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
The Battle of Trafalgar is a great pub, used to go there a lot when I was at college. Haven't been for quite a few years now, but its always seen as a good pub by people I know. Right by the station and would be good for the football, if I hadn't already got quite settled in my routine of going to the Albert. Never been to the New Oak, but they have run coaches for away games before, and the Landlord there was the one who found Veltman's GPS at Forest. The other two in Brighton is on the Dark Side of Brighton for me so I've never been.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Decent beer offering?
Yes. Importantly for me the Gun Scaramanger is on offer so I can actually have a nice decent vegan cask ale. They also have Trooper, Harveys, and currently Sharps hazy not Sure if that is a rotating special. Lagers include the excellent Krusovice amongst the more familiar names. Cider wise its Stowford. So yes I'd say a pretty decent selection. Not fancy but not bottom of the barrel crap either.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Interesting that The Battle of Trafalgar is potentially available as its owned by a guy I know(Albion STH), but perhaps he is selling up. I know he had designs on moving abroad.
It is in a great location and as mentioned, probably does very well on home match days.

good luck, it's a tough market..

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wouldn’t change the BoT at all really. Makes serious money, obviously very established, landlord has been there for twenty years.
Yes. Importantly for me the Gun Scaramanger is on offer so I can actually have a nice decent vegan cask ale. They also have Trooper, Harveys, and currently Sharps hazy not Sure if that is a rotating special. Lagers include the excellent Krusovice amongst the more familiar names. Cider wise its Stowford. So yes I'd say a pretty decent selection. Not fancy but not bottom of the barrel crap either.
That’s great intel, thank you. Important I can get stuff on like Gun so that’s really positive. Drinks list will always be restricted as it’s a pub co.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here