Do you go to a gym

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
theyve just put a new machine in at my gym, i was only on it 30 minutes and felt sick.
its good though, its got mars bars, crisps, snickers, fizzy drinks.....everything

wheyyyyyyy :D

used to go when at Uni , can no longer afford it really :( plus my ankle gave up a couple of months back so trying to get that sorted before pushing myself again.

Adam_Banana20

Nov 14, 2011
I used to go to gym but find it too boring now...I'm gonna start doing swimming and maybe a bit of gym work.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
f*** this gym lark. Speed walk at least 30 minutes a day and use loose weights at home. Good diet with the occassional bit of naughty food, drink a bit too much soemtimes and occassionaly have a fag or spliff if I'm drunk. 43 and still going strong despite two spells of cancer and a dodgy thyroid. There are far better ways to spend your hard earned money than down a gym with a bunch of posers.

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
Found the gym really boring, a run in the fresh air's better for me! plus by and large iv'e steered clear of office jobs because i hate sitting at a desk, im restless like a dog!

D

Deleted member 18477

f*** this gym lark. Speed walk at least 30 minutes a day and use loose weights at home. Good diet with the occassional bit of naughty food, drink a bit too much soemtimes and occassionaly have a fag or spliff if I'm drunk. 43 and still going strong despite two spells of cancer and a dodgy thyroid. There are far better ways to spend your hard earned money than down a gym with a bunch of posers.

going by your input a couple of far better ways to spend your hard earned money are smoking fags and spliffs. gym costs around £50 a month. smoking 20 a day costs roughly £182 a month... and i have no idea how much the green stuff costs you. i know you said occasionaly but for most average smokers its over 3 times more expensive to do what they enjoy...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I just quit The Gym, found it very boring and now I have moved jobs I can't go at lunchtime and it was always a bit too packed in the evenings. These days I just do two or three 5+ mile runs each week and it keeps me reasonably fit, I should probably dust off the dumbbells at some point too.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
going by your input a couple of far better ways to spend your hard earned money are smoking fags and spliffs. gym costs around £50 a month. smoking 20 a day costs roughly £182 a month... and i have no idea how much the green stuff costs you. i know you said occasionaly but for most average smokers its over 3 times more expensive to do what they enjoy...

Very occassional actually, I gave up smoking proper around 2001. Never spent much on fags as was only a social smoker but the weed and hash did set me back. Just the occasional cheeky one now if one of my friends has got some. I'm not anti-gym, used to go for a while myself. I do think they are way over priced though, and that over-use can actually be harmful.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know what you mean about boring, but I tend to plug in the iPod and listen to my OU course stuff which actually is a good way of doing it. After about an hour in the gym, or an hour doing Pilates, I then have a wander to the outside pool and try to do 20 to 30 lengths in the cold. The water is not that far off 20c at the moment, so you need to swim quickly or you freeze your nuts off.

You feel extremely refreshed afterwards.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Been going gym for 6 years now, I love it, I'm only 22 and if I don't go, I put on weight so quickly, my gyms about 2 miles away, so I run there. And do weights every time I go there, and I run home, I go to fitness first by Brighton station, and now I'm doing marathon again, started running to hove via seafront, and then home along lewes road after

If I don't go for couple of days, I get frustrated which is not me being lazy, it's work,

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I'm currently in the process of researching BARGAINS on Friday ad to build my own gym. I say gym...it'll just be a bench in the spare room, a bar, lots of weights discs and some dumbells.

But i basically pay 50 quid a month for that at my gym now!

Also the logic is I can watch what I WANT whilst I do it. I can do it BEFORE I head off for the commute, I can do it at weekends (which I can't now as my gym is in London) and it will cost me about 50 quid in TOTAL to make rather than the 50 quid a month NOW.

And FINALLY it means I can eat properly before/after it. :banana:

Saying all this, i can guarentee that in two months the bench will just be a glorified clothes horse.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Gyms are always expensive and filled with posers admiring themselves in the mirrors.

I do my exercise at home where I alternate dumbell weights one day with anerobic and stretching exercises the next including punch bag work. Total outlay less than £50 on e bay.

I never do more than 15 minutes a day and now weigh 11 stone 4 lbs and have the body of a 63 year old!

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
ive been going about 6 years and like people have said feel guilty if i miss a session . if im ill though or go on holiday for a couple of weeks its very hard to get back into it.

i was at the dolphin in haywards heath for ages but it was getting busy and the trainers are shit and clueless. ive now joined bluesky above the tescos express in haywards heath. its really shit but its empty and £20 a month so is ok if you just wanna throw some weights around

like someone said previously im gonna set up my own gym if we get to build our extension .no excuses then can put the tv on etc can go when you want etc etc.

if anyone is looking at doing a home gym in the garage i found this online which im gonna get as and when, hopefully soon. very good package in my opinion

Premium Strength Package at Powerhouse Fitness

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
If this makes any sense, I feel guilty about not going to the gym ever.

I know I should go to a gym, I know I shouldn't smoke, I know I drink to much and I know my diet is not as it should be.

I am however 43, at the correct weight although carrying a slight beer belly, fit enough to play golf carrying my clubs, and generally healthy for my age according to my doctor.

Fair point but careful you're not deluding yourself as many of us do. If you're a regular smoker, doing little cardio exercise apart from occasional golf and carry excess visceral fat (round your belly) then your risk of heart disease or diabetes is massively increased. You don't have to be overweight to be at risk.

Jan 30, 2008
I was chatting to few people in the bar area yesterday and we were saying how you end up getting obsessed with going and get extremely guilty if you don't go.

I go 5 times a week as medically it is doing me good seemly, if I miss one of the days I feel guilty about not going....ie Tuesday watching the England game.

Anyone else get this or are we just a bunch of weirdos
i go to several but never use them ???

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Been going to the gym now about 2 months, I gave up previous ones in years gone by due to work commitments and the boredom factor but......

My new gym in Lancing (Impulse leisure) is total class and you get a key style fob that has your own program on, so its a good motivator than just guessing what machines to go on each time, Ive had my own program, obviously im way behind the times so im guessing this kind of thing isnt new?!

Working from home gets real tedious and makes me lethargic so going everyday on my lunch is great to be honest, not only do I look a bit more toned now, the feel good factor is quite incredible, honestly for me its been a real life saver....ive got serotonin streaming out my nostrils, so hardly any stress or feeling down days since ive joined the gym, as i said...LIFE SAVER!

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Am starting at local gym tomorrow, with induction. Inspire leisure. £38 a month. Gym, swimming pool any times, and also majority of classes. Step of faith really as cannot really afford it, but a few budget cuts here and there will swing it i think, and if i have to stop then so be it. Looking forward to it again

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports